Quantcast

Thinking about a commuter bike

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm just not sure if I need one or not. I'll be going to running start (going to college while really only a junoir in HS). A bus pass for a month of riding the bus is 10 dollars for anyone who is a student. The bus stops a block up my street and with one transfer goes right to the college. However, the bus routes may change sometime soon, I dont know when. Anyway, I'm still thinking there will be days when I will want to ride to school too, or anywhere else I dont want to bring my nice bikes.

I already have:

-2000 RS Judy 4" fork
-old wheel set that has a few flat spots, but will work fine for a cheap bike
-old tires are beginning to build up that I can use
-I can buy cogs and used cranks for cheap, as well as find an old frame somewhere

I'm not gonna buy a car anytime soon that I know of, so I guess spending 200 dollars or less on a commuter bike really isnt a bad deal. But I'm just wondering if I really need to have one - not sure how often I'd use it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is there a question in there, or are you just thinking out loud? ;)

Beater bikes are always good to have!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
stoney98 said:
how far is it from door to door? Hilly/Flat? As a means of cross-training you might think fixie if flat. Teaches you to spin, GREAT cardio, cause you're going at 40k rpm, and it REALLY gives you leg power.
I've been riding a flat bar SS for the last little bit, and will be setting up a flat bar fixie soon. Best way to get around, light cheap, simple.
Hilly, will need to have gears but I thought about a SS for a bit. I'd guess, probably too low of a guess, that it is about 7-8 miles away from my house. Other side of town, and I'm not even in town.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Forgot to add that taking the bus would take just under an hour to get across town because of the crossover, I think. I'm just still not sure if I need one. I need to be convinced. :) Maybe it can even be a cross country bike. Currently my Trek with the DJ3 is the closest I have to an XC bike.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
Forgot to add that taking the bus would take just under an hour to get across town because of the crossover, I think. I'm just still not sure if I need one. I need to be convinced. :) Maybe it can even be a cross country bike. Currently my Trek with the DJ3 is the closest I have to an XC bike.
The skies the limit really, you should be able to get a great deal on a used hardtail, build it cheap, and put some skinny 1.7 low tread tires on em.
If you're worried about theiving just spraypaint it pink haha.
Otherwise buy an old road bike and get there even faster, you'd be suprised at how easy a road bike would be after riding thru muddy Galbraith all the time. At a 15 mph average clip you'd probably be at school in a half hour. Plus you can push it real hard and it'll get your cardio up to the max, you'll be able to ride all day at Galby.

i just tonight finished my SS roadbike. its 24lbs, old stel italian roadbike with some heavier 700c wheels and 700x42 CX tires. it'll see it's maiden voyage tomorrow. i got it for getting around campus, i'll be at WWU next year so i might see you. patrol the garage sales, and find an old road bike for cheep. strip it down, paint it a cool color, and put it back together so it works well. the bigger wheels and skinny tires make a huge difference on the road

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
your are better off having a beater bike than not.... i m sure you will use it more than you think. get it, lock it up and know that you have it whenever you need it

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
hooples3 said:
your are better off having a beater bike than not.... i m sure you will use it more than you think. get it, lock it up and know that you have it whenever you need it
I was thinking that. It will be a beater MTB, not a road bike.

If you're worried about theiving just spraypaint it pink haha.
Now don't give me ideas...

There is a bike shop in town that sells only used stuff for cheap. My friend buillt up an old specialized full susp. for only 200 dollars or so. Maybe I'll get a frame there and get some spraypaint....... I'll need some old disc brakes too, my rims are too bent and flat for v-brakes. ;)

Anyone have any spare parts they dont need anymore that they can give me?

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
I have 3 words for you: FIXED FRICKIN GEAR. Been riding mine for 7 years now. very reliable and not very attractive to thieves. Mine's even Reynolds 853 with a king headset and phil hubs and it never gets a second look. I've heard of couriers never locking their track bikes, and just occasionally they find it halfway down the block when someone tried to steal it and bailed when they figured out they couldn't coast. Haven't tried that with mine, though. Builds good habits, too.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
KobaltBlau said:
I have 3 words for you: FIXED FRICKIN GEAR. Been riding mine for 7 years now. very reliable and not very attractive to thieves. Mine's even Reynolds 853 with a king headset and phil hubs and it never gets a second look. I've heard of couriers never locking their track bikes, and just occasionally they find it halfway down the block when someone tried to steal it and bailed when they figured out they couldn't coast. Haven't tried that with mine, though. Builds good habits, too.
Not for me. There are just too many hills around to have a singlespeed, although it may start out as one before I buy shifters. I can almost do ok with gear 2-6 all the time, but at times there are bigger hills I want to go up easier and long flats/downhills where I would like a higher gear. I'll probably not have a front derailleur, I'll leave it in the middle ring and get a bashring because I like them.