Quantcast

Things that most piss you off with your bike??

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
buy a brooklyn
the right chain lenght and old inner tubes fixes that...:p its just that sometime the inner tubes wear out, and right now i am just lazy.

RMboy said:
lol yeah runnign sweet now..thanks for that dude...but im sure it will bugger up soon
nah, as long as you dont go messing with it it will be alright, sram stays in tune for a long time.:thumb: and you should know how to adjust it now.:p

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
Derailuers suck and i hate them. if you hit it will start skipping and i absoulutely cant stand this
i had a good fix going for a while, i actually used x9 and i beat that to **** yet it never skipped for the 15 months stragiht i used it. it did blow up a couple times but i was able to recondition it.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Paint job on my 2006 Demo 8
It is 'distressed' in all the wrong places, as the 'distressed' parts are pristine, whereas the rest has been scratched as a result of shuttling or poor riding

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Weak paint, the bike is only a month and a half old and it already has the scratches and paint chips of a bike that went through a whole season of hard use.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Cranks creeking, I absolutely go nuts.

I hate it when a rotor is bent and squeels.

I hate to have a flat on the trail.

I hate needing wrenches to change a wheel.

Hate but trully hate when a brand new seatpost gets scarred for life from a badly made seat tube.

Hate it when I loose spacers and tiny screws.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Derailleurs... so freaking annoying... Mine NEVER shifts perfectly for more than 1/8th of a run.

Mine also allows me to crash some times, which is completely unacceptable.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
All the Above, and then going to fix the problem and not being able to find the tools you need because you had to be nice and let other people have access to your toolbox, and loose everything.
AfvckingMEN!!!! I am SO sick of losing a minimum of 1 tool per race... I lost a ratchet, bought a new one, and ALMOST lost it to another riders toolbox (it was an honest mistake) at the very next race.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Nothing pisses me off on my bike - that is the time
all is good in life!
I take care of mechanical things before I go ride
right on.
nothing funnier than seeing poorly maintained d.h.rigs "upside down" in the parking lot after a run or two.

but the shallow allen heads on fox40's are a pain.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Taunting me, it sits there during bad weather and says "you know you want to ride me and own the trail like a .02 hoe."

Oh yeah and no glove box on the bike, I have left my gloves on the rack a few times. :D

SLIPPING A CHAIN ON A HARD PEDDALING SECTION GOING UP A SMALL HILL! Nothing quite say I am a man like flying over your handle bars while peddaling up hill.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
snapping freewheels or chains or snything like that when your pedaling your ass off.. dam that hurts
Rapid rise, there aint one good thing about that
on a bettter note my sram x7(bought as a temp insted of x9) is the best and most reliabl deraliur ive ever brought havent had to adjust it once since i bought it.
and uncomfortable leg armour that rubs and pinches like a biach when you have to walk up.
also good point about uplifts(i think you call it shuttles in the us) is unbeliavabally annoying you spend what $5000 on a bike just for it to get chipped and scratched to **** on the first uplift no matter how much protective tape you put on it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
when my bike throws me to the ground, or ejects me unexpectedly, and breaks my bones.

Aside from that I :cupidarrow: my bikes.

sounds like you need to have a long sit down talk with your bike.
let it know it CAN be replaced.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Pressing out pivot bearings! Why is it that on every frame I've ever had they're pressed in from the outside, so that somehow you have to press outward from the inside to pop them out? Who else has found themselves in incredibly awkward and potentially dangerous situations trying to remove a seized bearing?

Second, disc brakes. Lame-o factory brake set-ups on cheap cars work reliably for 10,000 miles. They have firm pedal feel (unless it's a Chevy truck) and the feel is consistent unless you find yourself hot-lapping your Hyundai at Limerock. How do closed-system MTB hydraulic disc brakes go bad so often? Avid Codes best change that.

Lack of standardization. This must make distributors and LBS's more money than anything else. When I worked as a mechanic I saw way too many people forced into buying new stems because their 31.8mm bars, or new cranksets because their BB blew up. There are lots of other analogous sports with much better standardization. Consumers need to demand it.

Rear shocks...where to begin? First of all, mounting them on turned aluminum rods is whack. I'm glad to see Cane Creek moved away from this, but the majority of the industry still uses these terrible excuses for bushings. Again, sizes aren't standardized, and they don't even work well. Why should I spend time and money replacing my fancy-ass needle roller hyper laser bearings when one of the key elements of my suspension system rotates metal-on-metal-on-metal? Rear shocks blow up too often. There is no excuse. Some companies get it and their products work, and some don't. How the ones that don't survive is beyond me (oh wait, of course, through OEM!!!)

Shimano platform clipless pedals. Are you guys kidding? Why do you fasten the outer edge of the platform with a tiny little screw into plastic? The screw is only accessible from INSIDE THE PEDAL! At the shop I used to work at, we had several milk crates filled with Shimano platform SPDs rendered useless by a loose platform because the outboard mounting screw tore out of the plastic.

Flat pedals that use pins with their tool interface facing away from the pedal body. By making these pins removable you acknowledge that they will get smashed against rocks. Yet you put the interface that allows them to be removed RIGHT WHERE THEY GET SMASHED. Of course the tiny allen head gets crushed and the pin is no longer removable! Same thing for the people who use philips head.

Seatpost clamp quick releases other than Salsa: why do you brake all the time. Manufacturers, that super-low-grade aluminum (is it even) that was too crappy for the bottling plant does not make a good lever. They break off all the time. What? You didn't include a washer of some kind fo reduce friction while everyday riders try to cam away? Thanks guys. Salsa, good work.

Frame makers who do not use ISCG-tabbed BB shells of some kind. I will find you. Even hardtails use chainguides now, do not force me to squish another backplate under the BB cup again.

Headsets other than Chris King: why have you not copied this design? Not too complicated here, why the need for so many wedges and clips and rubber gaskts?

Consumers: carbon bars are awesome. I wouldn't say it if I thought typical laws of supply and demand applied here, but seriously guys, modern carbon bars won't spontaneously explode if your bike starts going downhill. Don't be ignorant. Embrace carbon so manufacturers make them in more sizes and get some competition going in the marketplace.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
hmm...cable rub, chain slap, annoying noises. they happen all the time, stupid squeaks and stuff, and because tubes are hollow(duh), everything echoes, making it hard to isolate the culprit. mostly, i get annoyed at how little i get to ride and how ****tily i ride on most days. i seriously can't do one trick really on my hardtail, it's a jump bike for ****'s sake and i spend an assload on it, but i suck so much due to the complete absence of jumps near my house that all i can really do are no handers and feeble attempts at whips and tables.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Another thing, not being able to get acclimated to thehandling characteristics of your new bike due to constantly cold/bad weather for 1 month straight.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
SDG :Severely Disfigured Gonads:
i sort of have the same problem with my bare slr, but it just hits my inner leg, and hurts alot, but i stay on the bike. the saddle is normally too low to catch on my shorts. i dont even what to think about getting stuck behind the saddle. :shocked:

G3ars0fDH

Monkey
Dec 26, 2006
I hate having to change the settings of my fork and rear shock for every trail differently depending on how rocky or smooth it is.