Quantcast

The UN and Iraq

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
fluff said:
So who thinks the UN failed regarding Iraq?

If so please explain why you think that was the case.
yeah, I think the UN was a complete failure, I mean, they actually asked for EVIDENCE of WMD and more time for inspectors before we went in and got involved...

actually, I think they're going on the Colin Powell "You break it, you bought it" theory, and I'm not that surprised. GWB thumbed his nose at them, not going back for second resolution authorising force in March, insulted them with the whole Freedom Fries and Old Europe comments, and invaded anyway. Now that things didn't go out exactly as the admin planned, they're not willing to jump in, spend tons of $$$ and lives to go bail us out.

This is the only reason I think Kerry will have an easier time getting foreign aid/troops into Iraq. He can say "look, this was the previous administration's screw-up, not mine, I just inherited this mess, now can't you do what's best for the region and world and internationalize this thing???"

Just my thoughts...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
dante said:
yeah, I think the UN was a complete failure, I mean, they actually asked for EVIDENCE of WMD and more time for inspectors before we went in and got involved...
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic there. Why would you consider the above to be a failure on the part of the UN, considering what they are there for?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
fluff said:
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic there. Why would you consider the above to be a failure on the part of the UN, considering what they are there for?
sorry, should've put :rolleyes: after the first part to let people know I was being sarcastic. I just laugh at all the anti-French sentiment that's still around seeing as the UN turned out to be right and we turned out to be wrong as far as WMD and the rush to war. How dare they not back us unquestionably when we invade another country on *very* shaky evidence???

What is the role of the UN, help out every country that invades another country? Should USSR have come to the UN after invading Afghanistan in 1980 and asked for help subduing the "insurgents"? I know for a fact that we wouldn't have helped, seeing as we were supplying said insurgents with weapons and cash. So us invading Iraq on pretenses that ended up being false and then claiming the UN failed by a) not backing us in the first place and b) not jumping in immediately to help us out is pretty funny. The UN is around to settle disputes between nations, not intervene when we beg for :help: .

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The problem is when the Authoritative position of the UN was challenged. The collective group of them sat there dumb founded someone would defy them. Over a decade passed and they did not resolve the problem that was Saddam. they were given peice meal accomidations to just keep them off Saddams back. Even though Saddam was left in power by the UN under conditions (Resolution 1441.)

The UN has nothing to debate with....they were locked out of Iraq, Saddam was not cooperating with them, He still had not shown the inspectors the distruction of said WMD, etc, the list goes on. They had no real power to force any cooperation and over a decade of diplomacy didn't work.

The UN sat there....stopped trade so the people of Iraq could not eat...while Saddam sat pretty in his palace.

Did the UN fail in Iraq? Yes, undoubtfully yes. They left a mess that should have been taken care of over a decade before, that grew to the current day problem.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
RhinofromWA said:
Over a decade passed and they did not resolve the problem that was Saddam. they were given peice meal accomidations to just keep them off Saddams back. Even though Saddam was left in power by the UN under conditions (Resolution 1441.)

The UN has nothing to debate with....they were locked out of Iraq, Saddam was not cooperating with them, He still had not shown the inspectors the distruction of said WMD, etc, the list goes on.
The problem is that the above is untrue. Weapons inspectors were allowed in, WMD programmes were stopped, Saddam's armoury was effectively destroyed. So the policy of containment was effective. You can deny as many times as you like but the facts are that the policy had worked.

One of the prime functions of the UN is to enforce international law, especially that no state should invade another. Effectively the US and the UK broke that law on a false premise of Saddam's WMD.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
WMD programmes were stopped, Saddam's armoury was effectively destroyed.
Effectively the US and the UK broke that law on a false premise of Saddam's WMD.
you're contradicting yourself there... either Iraq had WMDs or they didn't. If the UN actually stopped programs, then Iraq did have WMDs and the US and UK didn't lie.

Just because the UN was successful in dismantling most of their programs and weapons doesn't mean some weren't still active. And more importantly, without CONSTANT supervision by the UN, you have to admit that Iraq would just re-supply and re-start programs. Remember UNMOVIC complaining about Iraq re-assembling weapons after they left?

If you look at the inspections versus invasion strictly on the basis of money, inspections were more cost effective.

The only debate is how effective was the UN... it's not a black and white topic.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fluff said:
The problem is that the above is untrue. Weapons inspectors were allowed in, WMD programmes were stopped, Saddam's armoury was effectively destroyed. So the policy of containment was effective. You can deny as many times as you like but the facts are that the policy had worked.

One of the prime functions of the UN is to enforce international law, especially that no state should invade another. Effectively the US and the UK broke that law on a false premise of Saddam's WMD.
NO the inspectors where not let in and around uninterupred....or did you hibernate for a couple years?

WMD were not found to be stopped....

His armoury was not shown to be destroyed....

He did not show us any of that....only held back with a huge bluff that was called. Hindsight is truely a wonderfull thing....to bad you don't have that in the moment. The US/UK breaking the law under false premise (deemed real at the time, later to be found as false) is unfortunate but does not change the fact we didn't go in and rule the country. We removed Saddam and are transfering power to the "new Iraq" as we type......and you can argue that as much as you want.

The UN did not enforce international law....they didn't remove Saddam....they let him stay in power....with conditions. Saddam thumbed his nose at the conditions and the UN did nothing.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
RhinofromWA said:
NO the inspectors where not let in and around uninterupred....or did you hibernate for a couple years?
hahaha, it's great they way you formed that ambigous statement with so much anger that it almost sounds 100% hardline.

"uninterupted"... that's the key point you seem to be trying to bury in your outrage :) They were let in, did their job, and was kicked out before completing it. This happened a number times. But while UNMOVIC was there, they did seriously put a dent in Iraq's weapon systems.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
LordOpie said:
hahaha, it's great they way you formed that ambigous statement with so much anger that it almost sounds 100% hardline.

"uninterupted"... that's the key point you seem to be trying to bury in your outrage :) They were let in, did their job, and was kicked out before completing it. This happened a number times. But while UNMOVIC was there, they did seriously put a dent in Iraq's weapon systems.
:D
Not contesting a dent was not done to their programs.....but as to completing a job....that was not confidently proved by anyone. It is the uncompleted dismantling of systems left in Iraq that were in contention. If Saddam was compliant and there was no question of WMD. If Saddam played like a nice dictator and nothing he did felt liek he was hiding something, I feal it would have gone much differently.

I guess other would say it would have gone the same.....:rolleyes: Bush gung-ho and all. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
RhinofromWA said:
:D
Not contesting a dent was not done to their programs.....but as to completing a job....
that's just it tho, what's the definition of "completed job".

I think containment was sufficient. I supported the invasion for other reasons.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
fluff said:
.Which is why the UN took on the role for gulf war part 1... but since the conditions of the agreement to end that conflict were never actually met or adhered to, then the US and UK had every right to go in.

Now I still believe they lied and fabricated reasons to do so, but the UN was useless and spineless. The UN failed the Iraqi people. They new Saddam was re-building his palaces instead of taking care of his people. The new that their inspectors were being denied 100% of the access that they wanted.

When you have members of the UN who were making money off of Iraq's oil, there was never going to be a proper resolution. It's a conflict of interest to allow Russia(staying away from the French bashing...) to veto plans while they are partnering with Iraqi oil interest.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I think that our administration jumped into a big pile of chit splattered it everywhere and made a horrible stinky mess... the whole time the UN was going "dont jump in that, your gonna get it all over the place and its gonna smell like chit"

GW was all like, "phuck you I know how to jump in chit without making a mess, hell, I'm from Texas"

Now GW is covered in chit and he smells awful and he wants the UN to clean him off... the UN is probably like, "haha phuck you we told you so, get away from us you smell like ass"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
*cough* oil for *cough* food *cough**cough*

There was never a real possibility of getting UN Security Council to vote for military action because key people in France and the former USSR were being paid off by Saddam...

Not only that but Iraq's foreign minister, Hoshyar Zebari says the UN failed Iraq:

"The United Nations as an organization failed to help rescue the Iraqi people from a murderous tyranny that lasted over 35 years, and today we are unearthing thousands of victims in horrifying testament to that failure."

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
you're contradicting yourself there... either Iraq had WMDs or they didn't. If the UN actually stopped programs, then Iraq did have WMDs and the US and UK didn't lie.
You'll have to break that one down for me, it makes no sense (to me).

If the UN stopped Iraqi weapons programs, how did Iraq have WMDs?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
You'll have to break that one down for me, it makes no sense (to me).

If the UN stopped Iraqi weapons programs, how did Iraq have WMDs?
you're looking at it as B&W as the other side.

The UN did NOT stop Iraq from having weapons, they contained them.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
you're looking at it as B&W as the other side.

The UN did NOT stop Iraq from having weapons, they contained them.
But clearly the UN did stop Iraq having WMDs, that's why they don't exist!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fluff said:
But clearly the UN did stop Iraq having WMDs, that's why they don't exist!
Only in hindsite... the UN weapons inspectors felt that 90-95% of Iraqs WMD's/programs were either dismantled or destroyed... that leaves 5% unaccounted for....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
N8 said:
Only in hindsite... the UN weapons inspectors felt that 90-95% of Iraqs WMD's/programs were either dismantled or destroyed... that leaves 5% unaccounted for....
WTF? Did you just post that?

Let's say you're right... how does a nation with less than 10% of their previous weapons capability post a threat to anyone? Wouldn't that make them like 100th on the list of most dangerous countries? Heck, I think they'd fall below the KKK on the threat level.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
WTF? Did you just post that?

Let's say you're right... how does a nation with less than 10% of their previous weapons capability post a threat to anyone? Wouldn't that make them like 100th on the list of most dangerous countries? Heck, I think they'd fall below the KKK on the threat level.

That's what the UN weapons inspector thought anyway... in hindsite...

5% of 100 WMD's is still significant.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
N8 said:
And Hans Blix said that if they'd been given another 2-3 months they would have been able to confirm what had happened to the other 5%.

Of course invading and looking for them is another way of doing it.

Seems a bit unnecessary in hindsite (sic).

Still, I guess there was always the possibility of Saddam suddenly building an army, navy, air-force and arsenal to rival that of the US in those couple of months.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
Still, I guess there was always the possibility of Saddam suddenly building an army, navy, air-force and arsenal to rival that of the Jamaica.
fixed :D

N8's being such a partisan-wanker on this that I think we should start a new topic altogether.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fluff said:
And Hans Blix said that if they'd been given another 2-3 months they would have been able to confirm what had happened to the other 5%.
Well, they did have 13 years and...???

Of course invading and looking for them is another way of doing it.
Yep.

Still, I guess there was always the possibility of Saddam suddenly building an army, navy, air-force and arsenal to rival that of the US in those couple of months.
It wouldn't take anything near that to cause a major problem for the West in that region. One WMD into Saudi Arabia or take your pick of oil producing countries and the West has got a major problem on its hands.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
N8 said:
It wouldn't take anything near that to cause a major problem for the West in that region. One WMD into Saudi Arabia or take your pick of oil producing countries and the West has got a major problem on its hands.
So we did invade for oil?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8, The problem with you is that you seem to be under the delusion that you are the most important person in the world. The reason people hate your point of view is that you fail to accept that other humans, especially ones in other countries might have a right to exist, and have a quality of life as good as yours. The world is not America's play thing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Changleen said:
N8, The problem with you is that you seem to be under the delusion that you are the most important person in the world. The reason people hate your point of view is that you fail to accept that other humans, especially ones in other countries might have a right to exist, and have a quality of life as good as yours. The world is not America's play thing.

Yeah, that's it.

We'll be the first ones to come bail you out when you get into trouble.

(global reference)

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Changleen said:
...to accept that other humans, especially ones in other countries might have a right to exist, and have a quality of life as good as yours.....
this is the real reason we went to Iraq. and look, they're well on their way. You're welcome.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BostonBullit said:
this is the real reason we went to Iraq. and look, they're well on their way. You're welcome.
No, you went to Iraq to stop Iraq harbouring Al-Quaeda and giving them cash. When it was pointed out that this was rubbish, the reason became the 'Imminent Threat' of Saddam Husseins non existant WMD program to the US. That was the stated goal of your leader before you went in.

When this turned out to be a sham it only then became the 'people' of Iraq. And, no, they're not 'on their way'. As we speak the US is leading a huge offensive in Najaf, hundreds of Iraqi people are dying. Most of the worlds media are wondering if this is going to cause furthr problems - it looks like they're right:
AP said:
United States Marines, backed by aircraft and tanks, launched a major offensive to crush a Shiite militia rebellion in the holy Iraqi city of Najaf last night, igniting mass street protests in at least two other cities.
The people who are now protesting are the Shia majority. When you first invaded these were the people who were most welcoming. Now American policy has pissed them off as well.

3 reasons, each rolled out as the previous was disbunked. You cannot deny this. Now, let me ask you a question, what about all the other countries where a vicious dictator holds sway? Why aren't you in there?

I'll answer that for you - because that's not the reason either. This is a war about American oil interests in the Middle East. Afghanistan was about a pipeline. If you're to dumb to see that through the haze your media throws in your face then I'm sorry.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Changleen said:
No, you went to Iraq to stop Iraq harbouring Al-Quaeda and giving them cash. When it was pointed out that this was rubbish, the reason became the 'Imminent Threat' of Saddam Husseins non existant WMD program to the US. That was the stated goal of your leader before you went in.

When this turned out to be a sham it only then became the 'people' of Iraq.
Once Iraq was brought in the sites again after 9/11....it was found that Saddam was still screwing around with the UN's emotions and laying the ground work to have him removed. Saddam was the big bad bully that the UN wouldn't touch....even when they are the group to lay out the terms of him staying in power that Saddam did not follow.

And, no, they're not 'on their way'. As we speak the US is leading a huge offensive in Najaf, hundreds of Iraqi people are dying. Most of the worlds media are wondering if this is going to cause furthr problems - it looks like they're right: The people who are now protesting are the Shia majority. When you first invaded these were the people who were most welcoming. Now American policy has pissed them off as well.
Well that town is the meca and strong hold of the malitia. We stirred the hornets nest. They are organized and trained militia. In black uniforms and working in an organized fashion...according to the AP atleast. The people dieing in that town right now are either caught in the fire or militants. the US is brodcasting from their vehicles what they are there to do and it is a warning to those not wanting to be in that skirmish to get out....pretty commendalble if you ask me. They are fighting in a massive cemetary (think New Orleans above ground cemetery's on steroids) and there are only a couple people hanging out around there right now.....dead people and soon to be dead people....from both sides. You aren't going to jsut stroll thru that skirmish.

3 reasons, each rolled out as the previous was disbunked. You cannot deny this. Now, let me ask you a question, what about all the other countries where a vicious dictator holds sway? Why aren't you in there?

I'll answer that for you - because that's not the reason either. This is a war about American oil interests in the Middle East. Afghanistan was about a pipeline. If you're to dumb to see that through the haze your media throws in your face then I'm sorry.
Another bunk theory....so how have we gained anyhing in going into Iraq because of the oil that:
a) we don't have control over for ourselves
b) the cost of securing this oil would not be able to cover teh expense to get it. It would be easier to dril in alaska or go somehwere else.

It is amazing we haven't been awash in new found oil recently and instead subsidize the Iraqi people so they can have gas and start the process of rebuilding.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wow, even George Bush can think more long term than you...

The whole point of this is to install a government hospitable to Western needs and ideals, that will provide a long term source of Oil to sale to the US, and to put pressure on local governments to reform so they too become more ameanable to western ideas and needs - Basically to get them on our side before China gets them on its.
Drilling in Alaska is still, fortunatley, politically unacceptable to even the befuddled American public. Seconldly those resources are largely unproven.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Changleen said:
Wow, even George Bush can think more long term than you...

The whole point of this is to install a government hospitable to Western needs and ideals, that will provide a long term source of Oil to sale to the US, and to put pressure on local governments to reform so they too become more ameanable to western ideas and needs - Basically to get them on our side before China gets them on its.
Drilling in Alaska is still, fortunatley, politically unacceptable to even the befuddled American public. Seconldly those resources are largely unproven.
Hmmmm nothing you wrote about why we whent in there has panned out....:think:

I know it is a nono to drill in Alaska....I am not really for it.

Funny, you of all people should mention something is "unproven" :D (see 9/11 attack theories) :)

Good night Changleen. I will have to catch you on the flip side.....going home.

I am thinking of wearing a tin foil hat in honor of you tonight. ;) I don't need any of that liberal media transmitted directly into my head via my fillings installed when I was in 9th grade. j/k

Don't take it so hard....I question a lot of things. But some theories are pretty wacked....and the people pushing them don't help matters.

:mumble: at you tomarrow. :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
RhinofromWA said:
Hmmmm nothing you wrote about why we whent in there has panned out....:think:
Yup, your President is an utter failure eh? Can't even pull off a simple bit of Imperialism. Maybe he should takes some lessons from British history.
I know it is a nono to drill in Alaska....I am not really for it.
Glad to hear it!
Funny, you of all people should mention something is "unproven" :D (see 9/11 attack theories) :)
Yes, the Governments version of events holds as much water as N8's gran's bladder. :)
Good night Changleen. I will have to catch you on the flip side.....going home.
See you tommorow.
I am thinking of wearing a tin foil hat in honor of you tonight. ;) I don't need any of that liberal media transmitted directly into my head via my fillings installed when I was in 9th grade. j/k
Well, maybe it'll protect you from Fox News as well! :)
Don't take it so hard....I question a lot of things. But some theories are pretty wacked....and the people pushing them don't help matters.

:mumble: at you tomarrow. :D
I won't. I'm off for some lunch. L8r. I'll wake up at about 2pm Mountain time.