Quantcast

The Puppeteer is Revealed

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Its comforting to know that not only are corporations now equivalent to citizens when it comes to campaign finance; but they are also physically writing legislation. Why lobby when you can just do it yourself?

ALEC Exposed

I know that the articles are long so if you want a tl;dr version, download NPR's "fresh-air" podcast from 7/21

How ALEC shapes state legislation

"But once they're in, they sit at the same table," he says. "On the board of ALEC, you have an equal number of legislators and corporate members. ... They then set up task forces to deal with topics like health care, education, election law, and you have an equal number of legislators and corporate and/or interest groups [and] think tanks in each grouping. They have to agree on any model bill or model resolution."
What that means, Nichols says, is that corporations can veto proposals and ideas that aren't to their liking — and can also propose measures that are then written into model bills. Those model bills, he says, are often introduced in multiple places — creating consistent messages across the country.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
With all of this news about full fledged corruption coming to surface, with hard evidence, one has to wonder how long it will take for 'the people' to say enough.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ok so corporations are now equivalent to citizens...... How long until they get to stand for office?
Or would that be to constraining on them, you know actually having to be elected and all???

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Ok so corporations are now equivalent to citizens...... How long until they get to stand for office?
Or would that be to constraining on them, you know actually having to be elected and all???
President Angel Soft toilet paper???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no need, they're already writing the legislation, which is all they really need to pull the strings.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Small government is just a euphemism for "Letting corporations do whatever the **** they want".
You forgot the "while we give them tax brakes and no bid contracts." Wait though, doesn;t that involve increased spending and gov size??? I mean bush DID brake records

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You forgot the "while we give them tax brakes and no bid contracts." Wait though, doesn;t that involve increased spending and gov size??? I mean bush DID brake records
Why would Bush have anything to do with brake records?

Is he a certified ASA mechanic?