Quantcast

the official Toshi is reformed thread

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Aspartame makes you gain weight, so all other ill affects aside, the "Diet" in Diet Coke isn't doing what you would like it to do. Just drink the regular stuff if you must :bad:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not at all.

From this article:

Found that with one search of the innernets. Diabetes seems bad. Granted, the "observational data cannot establish causality" and there are certainly other lifestyle factors to be considered. So maybe for an otherwise healthy-ish person with decent health and dietary habits, the risks associated with soda consumption aren't as pronounced.

But still, that shit is poison.

Says the guy who drinks a liter of half-caf coffee a day.
You note this above with correlation vs causality, but there are just tremendous confounding factors. People who are trying to lose weight would necessarily pick diet sodas. Voila, there's your association!

As far as I've seen there's no plausible mechanism in the first place, and I am solidly non-diabetic despite being fat. Here's my most recent HOMA2-IR:

Translation for the above:

HOMA2-IR of 0.63 means I'm insulin sensitive (like opposite of diabetic). 1.0 is normal. Higher than 1 is insulin resistant. Lower is good.

%2 of 157.6 means that my various fleshy tissues are 57.6% more insulin sensitive than their baseline. Thus to maintain that nice blood sugar value my pancreas's beta cells only have to kick out 88% of the amount of insulin that the test expects at baseline.

This is all unchanged over 2 years, in which I went from coffee to Diet Coke, so if it's doing anything at all it is imperceptible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Aspartame makes you gain weight, so all other ill affects aside, the "Diet" in Diet Coke isn't doing what you would like it to do. Just drink the regular stuff if you must :bad:

All associations. See above post.

Here's a metaanalysis of RCTs:

spartame consumption was not associated with alterations on blood glucose levels compared to control (−0.03 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.21 to 0.14) or to sucrose (0.31 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.05 to 0.67) and on insulin levels compared to control (0.13 μU/mL; 95% CI, −0.69 to 0.95) or to sucrose (2.54 μU/mL; 95% CI, −6.29 to 11.37). Total cholesterol was not affected by aspartame consumption compared to control (−0.02 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.31 to 0.27) or to sucrose (−0.24 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.89 to 0.42). Triglycerides concentrations were not affected by aspartame consumption compared to control (0.00 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.04 to 0.05) or to sucrose (0.00 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.09 to 0.09). High-density lipoprotein cholesterol serum levels were higher on aspartame compared to control (−0.03 mmol/L; 95% CI, −0.06 to −0.01) and lower on aspartame compared to sucrose (0.05 mmol/L; 95% CI, 0.02 to 0.09). Body weight did not change after aspartame consumption compared to control (5.00 kg; 95% CI, −1.56 to 11.56) or to sucrose (3.78 kg; 95% CI, −2.18 to 9.74). Energy intake was not altered by aspartame consumption compared to control (−0.49 MJ; 95% CI, −1.21 to 0.22) or to sucrose (−0.17 MJ; 95% CI, −2.03 to 1.69). Data concerning effects of aspartame on main metabolic variables associated to diabetes and obesity do not support a beneficial related to its consumption.
It does nothing one way or another, in other words.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At 5'10" when I weighed 155lbs I was pretty much transparent.
At a touch over 5' 8" with a broad frame I somehow wrestled at 135 in high school, cutting from 145 or so in the off season. That probably was not healthy

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
That paper makes no reference to a ghrelin response, which was kinda the point, not blood sugar..

Enjoy your chemicals :-)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That paper makes no reference to a ghrelin response, which was kinda the point, not blood sugar..

Enjoy your chemicals :-)
Here's one on sucralose. RCT in humans. Ghrelin looked at among other things. No effect.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Here's one on sucralose. RCT in humans. Ghrelin looked at among other things. No effect.

There are some of us who have ungodly amounts of recreational drugs.

When we say those shit sweetners in diet coke fuck you up, based on our own experience, you need to listen.

When I was rowing and had the metabolism of the sun and was very sensitive to shit like that, I remember drinking one of those damn things before an exam in college. It was hardest it's ever been for me to concentrate. It really is like a stimulant.....and it ain't caffeine because I've been a coffee whore my entire life.

You'll notice that people who drink diet sodas usually continually drink diet sodas. You a crack head now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There are some of us who have ungodly amounts of recreational drugs.

When we say those shit sweetners in diet coke fuck you up, based on our own experience, you need to listen.

When I was rowing and had the metabolism of the sun and was very sensitive to shit like that, I remember drinking one of those damn things before an exam in college. It was hardest it's ever been for me to concentrate. It really is like a stimulant.....and it ain't caffeine because I've been a coffee whore my entire life.

You'll notice that people who drink diet sodas usually continually drink diet sodas. You a crack head now.
if the price of being a Diet Coke addict is buying 35 can flats at Costco every few weeks then I will pay it

I can concentrate well enough on dat juice

don't need any additional brain cells

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
if the price of being a Diet Coke addict is buying 35 can flats at Costco every few weeks then I will pay it

I can concentrate well enough on dat juice

don't need any additional brain cells
Pick your poison. Plenty of people swear off consuming artificially sweetened drinks then turn around and crush 3 beers in a single sitting, as if that's somehow healthier.

If Diet Coke brings you pleasure, ride that high my friend. I'll be floating along next to you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's a fair point it's not like you need to pay attention to detail at work in your case. Not like there are any downsides to you missing something while staring at an elaborate image or anything. It's not like you're an art appraiser or anything
I'll do an experiment where I swap out Diet Coke for coffee (maybe with delicious Kerrygold! or just cream and a square or two of dark chocolate perhaps) for a week and see if anything is different about life. besides a lessened sense of joy, that is

I dropped caffeine for a week earlier this year and didn't notice jack squat then, but I understand y'all are amped up about the aspartame instead

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to get the occasional diet soda at work for a little afternoon pick me up when it was too hot for a coffee. At some point when working from home during the pandemic I bought a 12 pack of the stuff and for a few weeks was mindlessly chugging the stuff. I don't think it affected my attention but It certainly hooked me. To our brains sugar is an extremely scarce and valuable resources. These days I stick to beer, coffee, water, and bourbon.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
As my wife fondly tells me, "You look emaciated."

I suspect you look *really* emaciated.

:D
And I thought I was skinny at 173ish at 6'2". Not like I don't eat constantly, but it's pretty much all healthy eating.
Im exactly the same. Building muscle has never been easy.
Surprisingly I don't look that skinny. I have my mtb legs and trailbuilding upper body. It's the first winter I didn't pack an extra 15lbs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river