Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

TenBeers

Chimp
Aug 13, 2010
Looking for some hardware, bought a used 7.7 a while back and one of the rear seatstay bolts is completely stripped. Graphics indicate that at least the front triangle is a 2006, but it supposedly came from Lars Tribus' stable, so it may have a different rear triangle. The top link looks '06 as well, but bottom link is red. I am thinking that it is basically a '06 bike, but it has a Totem and a few parts that were on the '07.

The bolt is not loose, so for now I am not concerned but I may want to refresh the bearings over the winter. Enduro has the bearings (if I can really figure out whether to order '07 or '06), but I will have to drill that stripped bolt out. So I have 2 questions:

Any tips on how to tell whether it is a 2006 or 2007 on the back?

Any help on what that bolt is? Or where to get one?

TIA

zekerme

Chimp
May 26, 2009
I lost part #2 from the diagram provided in post #1, a M6x1.x17 bolt, and was wondering if this is the same bolt needed for a 2006 Sunday frame.

Thanks in advance!

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Hey guys, ive just replaced the bearings in the dw link after a month in the french alps as there was play coming from the area where the dw link joins the rear triangle. there is still play even with new bearings, have i ovalised my rear triangle/dw link? :/

Spacek

Chimp
Aug 28, 2010
Has anyone try Roco Air WC on a Sunday? Is there room enough for this shock? Is it possible that the shock would be smooth and progressive right out of the box on a Sunday? What kind of tuning of the shock should do possibly?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Roco Air WC fits the sunday... my friend ran one in 07 or 08.

The air shocks all have noticeably more stiction than coil shocks though and for that reason personally I'd just run a coil + ti spring.

That said, the springrate of the air shock suits the sunday pretty well IMO, the ramp up at the end matches it quite well. I ran a DHX Air for a while and got along with it just fine.

Hey guys, ive just replaced the bearings in the dw link after a month in the french alps as there was play coming from the area where the dw link joins the rear triangle. there is still play even with new bearings, have i ovalised my rear triangle/dw link? :/
You've more than likely worn the inside of the link and not ovalised the rear triangle. This hapends when the bearings sieze and the axle starts to move inside the link and wear it out. Search this thread, I think you will find posts from Udi where he had to use loctitie filling compound to address the issue.

The best way to check for this is to move the rear triangle and feel where the play is. If the axle and bearings are staying put but the link is moving you know it's the link.

Once again, search this thread for info.

Best of luck,

JT

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i have one question if 16" sunday is too small when im 5,8"/177cm. Or is it possible to play with the frame at any way if it is too small? It is just one inch from 17".

I found the frame as good deal, it is only available as 16", duuuh

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Depends how you ride and how you like your bike set-up really. I'm 3" taller than you at 5'11" and ride a small Sunday but I like all my bikes short. (a friend around the same height as me has a medium and it's def too long for me)
another friend has a small and is about your height and it seems to fit him well (I'm not comfortable on his bike either as his bars are just too low for me).
Can you try anyone's small/medium bikes first?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i measured seat tube of my old frame, it says 16" (it is M size lol). Seattube length seems good enough for me.

I think that I dont must have long wheelbase because Im not a pro or want run at very high speed, i'd like technical parts too. Where I can find specs for Ironhorse for diff. sizes when the site is closed?

I have low bars, so it sounds like this frame will fit for me, eh? I dont have possibility to test small size. Hm, to buy or not . the question :D

Last edited:

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
this threads first page has lots of info, also the sizing.

you missed the larger ones just by week or two (I assume you're looking at crc). :)

took a S myself...

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
this threads first page has lots of info, also the sizing.

you missed the larger ones just by week or two (I assume you're looking at crc). :)

took a S myself...
ahhh i hope i dont miss small when all are sold out :eek: what is your length?

is one from CRC year 2009? though all are same huh?

Last edited:

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
i'm 172mm, so S is for me.
crc has 2009, but the sizes are the same.
frame-set is only in 16'', but complete is in 17''.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
couldnt resist and ordered the frame :D

:monkeydance:

EDIT
measured my old frame (norco dh team 2002 lowered to 6" from 8") .. it is very similiar to sunday small size except BB height which is 1" higher. so it will be not large diff. for me regarding geometry :)
even if 17" will be nice compromise but I can live with 1" less difference anyway. Contrary to old frame, I can mount angle reducer set to 63HA :thumb: thus I hope for reduced BB. How much reduces it for BB? 0,5"? I have 176 threads to read :D

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Anyone here with experience wit RC4 on his sunday?
How does it feels compare to the original DHX5?
Will it need a special sunday tune?
What are the settings for it?

Thanks.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
couldnt resist and ordered the frame :D

:monkeydance:

EDIT
measured my old frame (norco dh team 2002 lowered to 6" from 8") .. it is very similiar to sunday small size except BB height which is 1" higher. so it will be not large diff. for me regarding geometry :)
even if 17" will be nice compromise but I can live with 1" less difference anyway. Contrary to old frame, I can mount angle reducer set to 63HA :thumb: thus I hope for reduced BB. How much reduces it for BB? 0,5"? I have 176 threads to read :D
It lowered mine from 13.9 to 13.4 with 2008 boxxers with as much stanchion showing as possible, so its possible to get lower!

Ev.

Chimp
Sep 1, 2010
NSW, Australia
Hey all,
I've got an '05 sunday that is still going hard, but i'm wanting to update the links (just because i can really).

Does anyone happen to know where i *might* be able to get ahold of some (in Australia preferably)? I'm not expecting to find any, but there's no harm in putting the feelers out there...

Cheers,
Ev

Turbo302

Chimp
Sep 13, 2008
Queens NY
Anyone here with experience wit RC4 on his sunday?
How does it feels compare to the original DHX5?
Will it need a special sunday tune?
What are the settings for it?

Thanks.
There is another thread in the dh forum titled "try a sunday?"
First page several posts down DW himself says it's as if the rc4 was made for a sunday.
Sorry don't know how to link to it here.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
what other suspensions are most similiar to RC4? PUSH'ed RS vivid5.1? any other?

other questions:
What to do with the new frame when I receive this? Use loctite 243 on bolts and re-tighten if i dont want lose bolts?

I have Saint M810 cranks and I need to buy a m815 bottom bracket to replace m810. Is the m810 chainset long enough to fit with m815 BB on the frame?

Last edited:

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
had a read around and havnt been able to find anyones oppinions on this, had anyone tried a vivid 5.1 B tune on a sunday

Thanks for your time, Tom,

sundaywc08

Chimp
Sep 11, 2010
so i just bought a used sunday wc 2008 with the vivid. i put the frame together and the vivid is sliding back and forth on the lower shock mount bolt. is there suppose to be spacer washers with the vivid? or just those black ones. that sit on the reducer?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
so i just bought a used sunday wc 2008 with the vivid. i put the frame together and the vivid is sliding back and forth on the lower shock mount bolt. is there suppose to be spacer washers with the vivid? or just those black ones. that sit on the reducer?
I've got an 09 Sunday with a Vivid and on my bottom mount there is the metal reducer cylinder going through the shock eyelet and two black spacers on either side. The shock slides about on the reducer when it's off the frame and I know the spacers leave a bit of a gap (I guess this is what you mean by needing washers), but when it's on and everything is tightened up it's solid. Does it slide about when it's on the bike and the top mount is tight, cos if so something isn't right there?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's actually the first broken one I've seen, maybe I'm not looking hard enough but still!

Just riding along?
Didn't Dave Duggan break his 08 Team? last time I saw him on it he def had mismatched front and rear triangles anyway.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
eg. original front traingle and a replacement rear end from another (dif colour)

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Didn't Dave Duggan break his 08 Team? last time I saw him on it he def had mismatched front and rear triangles anyway.
Don't think it was catastrophic, crack in one of the welds on the rear triangle or something. Not surprising the way he rides though, he's an animal!

rolto1822

Chimp
Sep 26, 2010
Hi guys this looks like the place to be for sunday owners! :) just got myself a sunday elite 09 a couple of weeks ago and i want to try a different spring rate on the vivid 4.1, can anyone tell me the shock dimensions that i need?
thanks in advance :)

Jun 15, 2008
Syracuse, NY
Does anyone have any info on where I can find the top shock mounting hardware for a 06 Sunday Factory? the pins seem like they are very hard to come by..also, It looks like the top mounting hardware changed for 07, so I am guessing it won't work with my 2006. Thanks for any help.

Tobs

Chimp
Sep 27, 2010
Yay, another post in the technical section regarding more bike problems. (one day i'll have a fully functioning new bike eh...)

Basically my Sunday is an 06 frame with 08 or 09 linkage. But i am alittle confused as to what bearings i buy.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=275&Name=Iron+Horse+Bearing+Kits

There is an 05-06 set and an 07-09 set. I'd have assumed 06 but i am alittle unsure for various reasons to do with the lower linkage bearings. BETD's site offers very little info and i have trawled through the internet to find the answer all day, so i thought i'd ask here.

There must be someone else with the same set up as me on here, can anyone shed any light as to which set?

Cheers guys!

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok so bearing kits are pretty easy. If you want a bearing kit that is going to last, go to enduroforkseals.com and get the sunday linkage bearings. They solved a lot of the problems of the first Sunday models. The difference in the 05-06 and 07-09 will be the linkage plates that you have. If they are flat, they are the earlier model, if not the later model. If you are looking for extra sunday pieces (except the linkage pieces themselves as you will be hard pressed to find those) go to pierce cycles in the uk. Google it and you should be able to find pins and a few other sunday odds and ends. Everything you will need to knwo about this bike you should be able to find out in the search function.