Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hi guys, new the forum :) Wondering if you can help me out with my Sunday team 09, i was riding today and i noticed a bolt had fallen out from my shock linkage. I have searched and searched but cannot find one anywhere.

Im not worried about having to buy a new axle kit, if anyone has any links to where i could buy one, or if anyone has one spare i could buy ?
If you look at the exploded view on the first page of this thread, it is part #2. It's a pretty common bolt size. Shouldn't be much trouble to source one.

tzrredrocket

Chimp
May 14, 2010
Cheers for the help guys, i managed to source a whole section one Pearce cycles, just needs to be deliverd. I have saved the infomation though for another time though.

Cheers :)

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
Got my 06 put back together finally, with all new pivots and used but good condition hardware and likage bits. had quite a bit of play when it was all put together so i had all new DU bushings put into the shock and new reducers. still a little bit of play. ive racked my brain and cant figure it out, any suggestions? it feels like its coming from the shock, almost like the shafts that go through the reducers are a tad too small diameter, but any bigger and it would be impossible to fit through. im confused
Check the actual shock rod. When mine had cavitiated, it acted as described. Worth a shot.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
haha, the evil one is unstuck as well. guess they just want to get rid of the bike specific ones.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
haha, the evil one is unstuck as well. guess they just want to get rid of the bike specific ones.
Fair enough too. As good as the Sundays are they are pretty old bikes now realistically. They've done there job - spawned a whole new generation of DH weaponry and kicked some a$$ at the same time :)

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
will a steel spring be better than a Ti spring on the sunday?
I read that the sundy suspension is very linear..
and I know the Ti spring is very linear as well.
so will it be better to use a steel spring to achive a more progresive feel on the bike?

I am using a 300 Ti spring on my sunday
and thinking of swaping it to a 325 or even a 325 steel.
what do you think?

thanks

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
you can subscribe to the thread or go to the FAQ that sandwich set up. it will be easy to find all the tech tuning threads in there. my guess is RM had to limit to the amount of stickys, they were taking up half of the first page for a while there.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
will a steel spring be better than a Ti spring on the sunday?
I read that the sundy suspension is very linear..
and I know the Ti spring is very linear as well.
so will it be better to use a steel spring to achive a more progresive feel on the bike?

I am using a 300 Ti spring on my sunday
and thinking of swaping it to a 325 or even a 325 steel.
what do you think?

thanks

Ti is no more linear or non-linear than than any other spring material given the same design. The rate is the rate (within the mfg tollerance) no matter the material. To be progressive, the spring would need to be designed that way (differing coil pitch, spring diameter, or wire diameter)....there are no progressivly wound MTB springs that I am aware of.

Better shock design (Pushed DHX was my choice) with a damping rate to work better with the Sunday was a huge improvement IMO.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
davep
thanks for the answer
but I can swear changing to TI made the bike feel different (same spring rate)

is there a way to make the dhx5 more progressive?
I do all myself. including taking care of my dhx5...
so if there is away of making it better feel for the sunday (changing shimz?)

please tell.

thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Well, the changes I had made to my DHX, were done by Push for several reasons:

Several internal parts were changed (higher flow main piston for example), and I dont have access to machines or the time/experience to build these parts myself with out a fir bit of experimentation.
The piston change allows more control of oil flow tuning as the shims provide a larger portion of the fluid flow restriction (especially at higher shaft speeds). With the smaller stock port sizes, the port diameter would be more of a limiting parameter and changing port size is not something that can be easily done by the home tuner, nor 'un-done')....

Tuning for personal preferences/bike design/rider weight/riding style/etc/etc something that is learned, there is no simple formula that tells you what stack configuration is 'correct' for any particular person/bike/etc. Experimentation is the only way to find a 'better' set up for you. Because of the complexity of the compression circuit(s) on the DHX, doing much more than simply increasing or decreasing the damping across entire input range would take a fair bit of experimenting IMO.

Without a shock dyno as well, there is no way to validate any changes you might make...Changes that 'feel better' might actually be slower...

IMO, unless you have free use of a multi axis CNC, free materal, and have lots of free time (ie little to no opportunity cost loss)...it is far more effecient and less 'expensive' to spend the $$ to have a proven tuner do the work.

As far as easy changes to the DHX....
-Larger bottom out bumper to provide some spring progressiveness.
-Running a slightly heavier spring with ~zero preoad vs slightly lighter rate with more preload
-Higher resevior pressures will provide a very slight (air)spring progression

beyond that, it is just a bunch of experimentation to move toward the desired effect (BTW, you have not mentioned any particular change you would like, or how you feel the DHX is not working for you. Answering these questions is going to be required before you will be able to formulate any plan to improve the shock) ...which IMO is going to be limited due to the design of the stock DHX.

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
davep
thanks again

I feel like the bike seat too low
other than that ist fine.
maybe I have to turn the preload more?
how many turns can I preload the shock?

thanks

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Hello everyone, Have had a good read through this thread, I am riding a Sunday Elite with the vivid Rear shock, I was wondering whether there are any recommended settings for this shock, i have set it up as Rockshox recommends but i was after any recommended or tried and tested set ups for this shock,

Thanks Tom,

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
if you are on the right spring - then tune the rebound to taste - and the compression 0-1 click!

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Hello everyone, Have had a good read through this thread, I am riding a Sunday Elite with the vivid Rear shock, I was wondering whether there are any recommended settings for this shock, i have set it up as Rockshox recommends but i was after any recommended or tried and tested set ups for this shock,

Thanks Tom,
Vivid 4.1 or 5.1 ??? ( It seems the '09 got a 4.1 and the '08 got a 5.1 Vivid ).

How much do you weigh ???

Turbo302

Chimp
Sep 13, 2008
Queens NY
I was wondering if someone could help me find a problem I'm having.

When I pedal my Sunday hard there is a knocking sound going on as the pedals come around. It's not chain slap,I checked the lower both upper and lower shock pins and they seem okay.

Any ideas?

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Vivid 4.1 or 5.1 ??? ( It seems the '09 got a 4.1 and the '08 got a 5.1 Vivid ).

How much do you weigh ???
i have got the correct spring weight with my weight, 12 stone, but i have set the rebound up in different ways,

1) deep stroke slow and beginning fast,
2) both rebounds at a medium setting,

i prefer the 1st setting but i was wondering if there is any recommended settings for a sunday?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i read somewhere on here that a company, or maybe several, will start producing Sunday hardware and linkage kits again. Does anyone know if this is true? And if they have yet, or who the companies are? I have an 06 and want to upgrade to the F7 linkage to fit a Vivid. I had a Vivid on my Yakuza and loved it so I would like to get another one.

On another note, I finally got my Sunday built up and i ****ing love it! I still got some odds and ends to get it where I want it to be, and will post up pics when i finish.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
pearce cycles in the UK make/supply all of the linkage parts (i.e. custom hardware, pivots, bearings, etc), but not the actual lower or upper links.

a lot of people just modify their lower link to fit the shock they want, that might be your best bet - just remove the minimum amount of material required to clear your shock.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
i have got the correct spring weight with my weight, 12 stone, but i have set the rebound up in different ways,

1) deep stroke slow and beginning fast,
2) both rebounds at a medium setting,

i prefer the 1st setting but i was wondering if there is any recommended settings for a sunday?
I run my rebound similar to your first settings but run a little bit more beginning stroke than you by the looks.
The reason I asked if you have a 4.1 or 5.1 is because the 5.1 has low speed compression adjustment while the 4.1 does not ( a blue knob on the piggy back ) - yours got one?

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
I run my rebound similar to your first settings but run a little bit more beginning stroke than you by the looks.
The reason I asked if you have a 4.1 or 5.1 is because the 5.1 has low speed compression adjustment while the 4.1 does not ( a blue knob on the piggy back ) - yours got one?
no i have the 4.1 so i cant change the compression, just the rebounds,

Thanks, Tom,

bazzer

Chimp
May 14, 2010
Hi Guys

Just about to replace the totems on my 2009 Sunday Elite with a pair of For 40's So I need to replace the tapered headset with a straight step down headet.

Going to fit a Hope headset and wondered if I should go for the normal one or the zero stack one ?

Any help appreciated !!!

Thanks

Bazzer

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's entirely up to you but I'd always go with zero stack on a Sunday.
whichever headset you fit you can fine tune ride height & H/A by dropping/raising stanchions in the crowns but you won't be able to get the front end as low without using zero stack cups.
if you like your bikes choppered out or hate the low BB of the sunday then maybe you'd like the taller lower cup.

bazzer

Chimp
May 14, 2010
Cheers for that

I love the low bottom bracket for handling, hate it for pedal and bash gaurd strikes :-)

I would not want it any lower though.

Does anyone know the difference in axle to crown between 40s and Totems, is it going to slacken the head off at all ?

Cheers

Bazzer

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
totem axle to crown is similar to a Boxxer, dunno how that compares to a 40 but woulda thought it'd be close. like I said, with a dual crown you have room to fine tune anyway.

viper49

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
I need to contact ECC for sunday parts. Can someone here give me the website address please? I found the website and thank.
They only have the newer lower link that fix 08 and newer.

Thanks
Kin

Last edited:
hi,

Im having trouble with my gravity megaexowhatever cranks spider has become loose and dont have the tool to tighten the inside nut any idea where to find it?
Im planning of changing the cranks and need 165 with 83 bb any good Economic and lightweight idea???