Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
well next up are -2 cups - they'll arrive tomorrow - maybe then i have to move to a stiffer spring - for not having the bb toooooo low :)
Haha, good luck with that. I'm on the -1 cups, and I have the boxxer dropped in the crowns a little bit (maybe 215mm exposed stanchion) to keep the BB from getting too low. I measured the HA @ 63.5deg. I wish the BB was a bit higher even with the -1's.

Hi, i've had a look through most of this thread, but i cant seem to find a full set of bearing codes for a 2006 sunday frame?
6902-2RS - Upper link main pivot (x2)
608-2RS - Upper link swingarm pivot (x2)

6903-2RS - Lower link main pivot (x2)
6902-2RS - Lower link swingarm pivot (x2)

Those should be the specs for the 2006 frame. The 2007+ frames use MAX-E (full complement, extended inner-race) versions of the bearings for the four lower link bearings to eliminate the spacers, but the standard complement bearings have better water resistance than those (due to the MAX-E's having a small ball-filling groove that can let contaminants in).

Hope that helps

CraiGee

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
Haha, good luck with that. I'm on the -1 cups, and I have the boxxer dropped in the crowns a little bit (maybe 215mm exposed stanchion) to keep the BB from getting too low. I measured the HA @ 63.5deg. I wish the BB was a bit higher even with the -1's.

6902-2RS - Upper link main pivot (x2)
608-2RS - Upper link swingarm pivot (x2)

6903-2RS - Lower link main pivot (x2)
6902-2RS - Lower link swingarm pivot (x2)

Those should be the specs for the 2006 frame. The 2007+ frames use MAX-E (full complement, extended inner-race) versions of the bearings for the four lower link bearings to eliminate the spacers, but the standard complement bearings have better water resistance than those (due to the MAX-E's having a small ball-filling groove that can let contaminants in).

Hope that helps
Thanks so much! after reading 90 odd pages trying to find them, i gave up haha.

Cheers again
Craig

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
ive got my -2 deg cups in, boxxers as low as they can go, and my bb is 13.4
what is everyone elses height with the cups?

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
-2 cups boxxer all way out - bb is around 13,4 - 33,8 cm with minions

way more stable at high speed - bb is not too low - or at leat not bothering me at all...

like it for the steep stuff :)

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
ok well after todays test ride i can confirm 2 things
slacker made it way nicer for the steeps, and it still cornered beautifully, so thats good news :)

however, im gonna have to get used to having an even lower BB, i ripped out 4 pedal pins over the course of todays ride!

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
I have a 2008 Iron Horse Sunday World Cup with a Bos Stoy (325 steel spring).
The spring rubs on the drive side of the frame (right side). It stays always much closer to the drive side of the frame. Is this normal on the Sunday frames? (the Vivid 5.1 that i had was also like this, but it's spring didn't hit the frame as much as this one does).
I want to buy an Obtanium Ti spring with bearings cups, but this may be an issue in buying a larger spring and a self rotating one (due to the bearings).
Can the frame have some kind of factory building error or is this normal?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I've just fitted a Stoy to my 07 Sunday, I'm only on a 250 spring but the fit is mighty tight, I noticed it rubbing on the left hand side a tiny amount when I first fitted it, I've never actually checked it since (only had one ride so far) I can't see a ti spring fitting to be honest!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That would likely be a Stoy issue. Your issue should only occur with 400+ springs and maybe obtainium (1.5" OD), not low rate 1.43" springs. I will explain.

The 07+ sunday frame uses a floating reducer for the lower shock mount, the pin pushes the reducer hard up against ONE side of the link. This means that the reducer's centre does not have to be the shock's centre, because when everything is tightened, the thicker part of the shock pin can actually slide into one of the spacers, replacing ~1mm worth of reducer.

BOS in their infinite wisdom ignored this fine detail and instead uses 2-piece hardware - which does not allow a reducer axle to sit off-centre in the shock (because there IS no single reducer axle in 2-piece tophat style hardware).

This means that when you tighten the lower shock pin in the frame, it pulls the whole shock towards one side rather than just making the reducer slide through the shock bushing a little bit.

It's not like it's a BIG difference, given certain dimensions, you can only pull the shock to one side a certain amount (maybe 0.5-1mm) but it might be enough to cause the spring to rub one side of the frame. Of course I could be wrong, but it's my best guess.

Unfortunately you can't use your old hardware either though, because BOS (again in their infinite wisdom) opted for 12mm ID bushings instead of 12.7mm. Solutions would include - just dealing with the rubbing if it's not that bad, or getting a fox-style reducer made up (12mm OD, 10mm ID, 30mm width) and a matching spacer for each side.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
-1 deg cups, no top cap on the headset and forks all the through the crowns I reckon the BB is around 13.6.
Uh! :confused:

mines 13.5 without any slack cups.
E13 headset all but 2 micro spacers/topcap removed, stanchions dropped fully in flat top crown (215mm exp stanchion) ... and that's with a (New) chunder on the back (2.3 but bigger than a 2.5 Maxxis) and a 2.5 minion upfront..

I'm curious, Mike, what's your wheelbase now? (mine's 44 & 3/4")

just as a side note, IH 2007 Sunday geometry chart is way out for my frame

Geometry
Size-HA-SA-EFF TT---CS-----WB----BB
16" 65 64.5 22.5" 17.25" 44.25" 13.9"
I measured geometry on my small to be:
Seat tube - 17.25"
HA - 64.5
SA - ?
EFF TT - 21"
ACT TT -20.5"
CS - 17.37"
WB - 44.75
BB - 13.5

Last edited:

tmrRACING

Chimp
Apr 29, 2010
So I have two questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can find new shock mount hardware for a '08 sunday?
if not:
2. Does anyone else need this? How much would you be willing to pay? If I can't find any I am considering having them machined in bulk and selling them, since I know they are next to impossible to find.

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks Udi!

But the Vivid 5.1 (with 350 steel spring) also rubed on the frame, but much less.
The Bos Stoy 325 steel spring is rubbing in a way that i can hear (when in dry weather it makes a schreeching sound of metal against metal) and i can see the paint removed in that area.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you think about it, there must be a reason the stoy 325 is rubbing more, because the 350 vivid spring will be wider by nature, and also because it's 1.5" ID instead of ~1.43" ID. I think it's because of the reason I explained. (I have the same shock).

But anyway, maybe you can just sand the spot where it is rubbing a little bit? Or file it and then sand it smooth. That'd be my suggestion if it is annoying you.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
just purchased an 06 sunday and need the lower shock mounting shaft, and both the axles inside the red lower link. can anyone here help a brother out?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Can someone do me a quick favor and take a close-up picture of where the derailleur bolts in to the hanger. Im seeing a small space and I want to make sure this is supposed to be this way before I get her outside.

Hi there everyone! just got myself an apple green sunday but it looks kinda trashed. Want to repaint it but...where can I get the same stickers?? appreciate the help. Im 175 cm and 78 kg, is 300 coil in dhx5 right for me? and reservoir? thanx thanx

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The seatpost diameter is 30.0mm, and the seat clamp is 34.9mm I'm fairly sure. Might want to get a confirmation on the clamp, it's been ages since I bought one.

Cheers for the link on the decals too, they look good.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Solid link on the graphics, will be using that today.

Have looked all over the beginning of this thread, I am running a Marz Roco WC that came with my frame, I was looking for some solid baseline setting to get the most out of the DW link. They are all over for DHX, Cane Creek, Manitou, and Progressive, but no Marz. Any help?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Solid link on the graphics, will be using that today.

Have looked all over the beginning of this thread, I am running a Marz Roco WC that came with my frame, I was looking for some solid baseline setting to get the most out of the DW link. They are all over for DHX, Cane Creek, Manitou, and Progressive, but no Marz. Any help?
I run a roco wc on my Sunday. The most important item is to know that that shock was tuned for a Sunday, what they call a low compression tune. After that you should have the right spring. Then keep the compression adjustment all the way out to start (so no compression damping, or if you're bigger, I weigh 185lbs, I run 1-2 clicks), then tune rebound to taste. The roco has a very sensitive rebound adjustment around the sweet spot, at least for me. All I can tell you is to run your rear a little slower that your front. I would also keep the pressure on the high side, or near max, that helps keep it from using a lot of its travel on medium-big hits. Or you can redo your shim stack, from what I hear. You know, moar shimz :rofl:

zekerme

Chimp
May 26, 2009
The seatpost diameter is 30.0mm, and the seat clamp is 34.9mm I'm fairly sure. Might want to get a confirmation on the clamp, it's been ages since I bought one.

Cheers for the link on the decals too, they look good.
Yup, 34.9mm. I just bought the 35mm one from DKG.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
You pretty much can't find this at this moment unless you know someone who is disposing of a frame. There are places that sell the extra parts but the linkage and pivot main parts aren't abiout to be found to my knowledge. You can however order bearing replacements at enduroforkseals.com

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Just replaced the pivots, when I reasseble, should I grease all the hardware to keep it from seizing or anything? I know to use blue loctice on the threads with a torque wrench, but should i do anything further?

nautika16

Chimp
May 18, 2007
You pretty much can't find this at this moment unless you know someone who is disposing of a frame. There are places that sell the extra parts but the linkage and pivot main parts aren't abiout to be found to my knowledge. You can however order bearing replacements at enduroforkseals.com
ECC has lower links in stock (black)

Lower main pivot. We have the compression pin, bolts, silver side but are waiting for the black side to arrive

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just replaced the pivots, when I reasseble, should I grease all the hardware to keep it from seizing or anything? I know to use blue loctice on the threads with a torque wrench, but should i do anything further?
It is good to use some loctite 609 retaining compound on the interface between the swingarm-end lower pivot axle and the inside of the lower link. Don't grease this interface, as movement will cause wear between the two parts and they aren't supposed to move against each other at all. If you've already assembled then I wouldn't worry about it.

Apart from that, what you did sounds right - grease any flat interfaces, and loctite any threaded interfaces. Just make sure you don't get any grease on the threads you are loctiting, but that's probably obvious.

bazzer

Chimp
May 14, 2010
Hi All

I am after a bit of information and hope someone can help.

I bought one of the Sale Sunday Elite's from Chain Reaction. It comes fitted with a set of air Totems. Am I right in thinking that the geometry of the frame is the same as the team and WC and if I fitted a set of Boxxers or 40's I would end up with the same head angle ?

Thanks

Bazzer

tzrredrocket

Chimp
May 14, 2010
Hi guys, new the forum :) Wondering if you can help me out with my Sunday team 09, i was riding today and i noticed a bolt had fallen out from my shock linkage. I have searched and searched but cannot find one anywhere.

Im not worried about having to buy a new axle kit, if anyone has any links to where i could buy one, or if anyone has one spare i could buy ?

Here are some pictures :

Many thanks.
Jordan.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Got my 06 put back together finally, with all new pivots and used but good condition hardware and likage bits. had quite a bit of play when it was all put together so i had all new DU bushings put into the shock and new reducers. still a little bit of play. ive racked my brain and cant figure it out, any suggestions? it feels like its coming from the shock, almost like the shafts that go through the reducers are a tad too small diameter, but any bigger and it would be impossible to fit through. im confused

tombate

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Hello everyone, Have had a good read through this thread, I am riding a Sunday Elite with the vivid Rear shock, I was wondering whether there are any recommended settings for this shock, i have set it up as Rockshox recommends but i was after any recommended or tried and tested set ups for this shock,

Thanks Tom,