Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

camen

Chimp
Nov 27, 2009
Europe Bulgaria
I have '06 factory with DHX 5.0 tuned by PUSH and have possibility to buy 5th element tuned by TF tune Do you think it will work better, is it stonger than FOX ..?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have '06 factory with DHX 5.0 tuned by PUSH and have possibility to buy 5th element tuned by TF tune Do you think it will work better, is it stonger than FOX ..?
I would stick with the DHX if it has been tuned for you. I don't think either shock will be better unless one is specifically tuned to your riding style and weight. I would definitely pick the DHX over the 5th on quality, mostly since 5th is no longer making mtb shocks.

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Do you know where i can buy a rear fender for the Sunday frame?
I once read that there was a guy who was selling custom carbon fenders, but i don't have any contact...
In your opinion, what would work better in a Iron Horse Sunday (with a Bos rear shock), a 2010 Boxxer Team or a the new model of Bos Idylle Rare (more 250gr to 300gr than the Boxxer)?
Can the links of the Sunday frame be anodizided without becoming weak? Do they remain with the same resistance?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I once read that there was a guy who was selling custom carbon fenders, but i don't have any contact...
In your opinion, what would work better in a Iron Horse Sunday (with a Bos rear shock), a 2010 Boxxer Team or a the new model of Bos Idylle Rare (more 250gr to 300gr than the Boxxer)?
Can the links of the Sunday frame be anodizided without becoming weak? Do they remain with the same resistance?
nope. As soon as I pop one, I'll be running the inner tube fender.

If money is no object, I'd run the BOS just because I think it'll have higher build quality and better damping, plus it's matched to the rear shock. I don't think a boxxer would hold the bike back, but I think the half pound you gain with the BOS is worth the quality.

There should be no reason the links will become weak, as long as they are properly prepared and properly treated. Somebody who knows what they are doing should be able to get it done with no problem. Bearing holes shouldn't be enlarged either, unlike powdercoat. The aluminum tubing needs special attention, but the links shouldn't.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
ok, Im pretty sure i read in this thread the first time i took my shock out how to do it, and IIRC, it was the bolt on the expanding side of the bottom shock axle that you had to undo first i think?
However, if i go to undo the bolt on the expanding side, the whole axle just spins (but not freely mind, its a bit stiff), no matter how tight ive got the driveside/non-expanding side bolt done up.
Any tips how i can get this bolt out so i can follow the shock removal steps by the right procedure? thanks

its a 2008 model if that helps

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can try inserting a thing allen wrench and tapping it with a hammer *gently* to see if that frees it up. If not, soak the bejesus out of it with wd40 and give it another go. WD40 should eat up any solvents holding it together, eg loctite or whatever. There was another dude who had a similar problem. Try it once, go for it, if it doesn't budge, soak it and leave it overnight. You can also try a few other things, I think marvel mystery oil will do the same but it's much thicker and works better.

Wrench the drive side (non expanding) down pretty tight to get the other side loose...just don't strip anything.

If it's a real bitch, you may be able to just tap the whole thing out...theoretically, nothing is holding it in besides expansion forces/friction...you might do some damage, but it might come out.

Try the wd40 trick and report back.

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
Ribas said:
Does the Bos perform notacebly better than the other shock you had?
I run a DHX, so no idea about the Bos unfortunately...

Ribas said:
This guy makes carbon fenders for Sundays!

"As per title Carbon rear fenders for the sunday, nice refined design (fits between the uprights on the rear as below).
Comes with zip ties, ready to fit.
Taking orders now, so email me @ youknowsit77@aol.com if interested"

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Iceman - you've got PM.

If anyone has a spare pair of the 22mm hex bolts (for the lower link, 07+ sunday), let me know.. happy to pay postage and any reasonable price.

Edit -
Maybe someone even has the drawings for them, I could get some made up pretty easily. I'm guessing iceman has the drawings, since he made his own... I'd really appreciate them if you can share. :)

Last edited:

Sunday77

Chimp
Feb 25, 2010
I run a DHX, so no idea about the Bos unfortunately...

This guy makes carbon fenders for Sundays!

"As per title Carbon rear fenders for the sunday, nice refined design (fits between the uprights on the rear as below).
Comes with zip ties, ready to fit.
Taking orders now, so email me @ youknowsit77@aol.com if interested"

I'm currently taking orders for fenders if anyone is interested. As above my email address is youknowsit77@aol.com

Thanks for the props Iceman the revamped sunday is lokking sweet!

brownie1664

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
England
Iceman - you've got PM.

If anyone has a spare pair of the 22mm hex bolts (for the lower link, 07+ sunday), let me know.. happy to pay postage and any reasonable price.

Edit -
Maybe someone even has the drawings for them, I could get some made up pretty easily. I'm guessing iceman has the drawings, since he made his own... I'd really appreciate them if you can share. :)
This might not help but i know a place in the UK that sells them. Could be a bit expensive to get them shipped. Think they make there own. could email them for some drawings. worth a try if your struggling to find some.

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/1024

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
since everyone's posting pics of their fenders here's mine. couldnt stand the idea of mud getting thrown straight onto my shock and lower pivot where it just gets trapped in there. i took an old fender and melted the plastic to fit the contours of the frame and zip tied it in there. its lasted so far and has a good 1/2" of mud clearance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's pretty crafty. Did you use a hair drier?

I like the carbon one, and it isn't even that expensive, but I don't really want to deal with overseas shipping...think I'll probably end up doing the tube job.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
That's pretty crafty. Did you use a hair drier?

I like the carbon one, and it isn't even that expensive, but I don't really want to deal with overseas shipping...think I'll probably end up doing the tube job.
boiling water for the contour then propane torch for the chainstay indents, i just heated it til it got shiny and smashed with a pipe and i think a block of wood or something til it fit halfway decent.

i mainly did it because i was searching for something to make a fender out of and it seemed to fit the bill.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
This might not help but i know a place in the UK that sells them. Could be a bit expensive to get them shipped. Think they make there own. could email them for some drawings. worth a try if your struggling to find some.

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/1024
Thanks for that, I was shown the link already and I've contacted them to try and get some.

I've also got the drawings for them courtesy of Iceman, so if anyone needs them I can forward the email.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
alright so i just mounted my new CCDB and its about 50% sag, i used the spring they sent me its a 250 spring and i'm about 150 (tend to loose weight during the winter :D ) anyway i was wondering if thats normal, or i should move up to a 300 ? anyone else have a db and if so with how much sag do you ride it?

terrain here is mostly steep and lots and lots of roots and rocks ...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I weigh what you do... I think the 250 is too soft (it's what I currently have). I tried it briefly with a 275 and I think that is perfect, but a bit hard to find (without coughing up for obtainium).

If you have a steel 300 do try it, but IMO for steep terrain it might be a little too hard. In any case, I'd be interested in hearing your sag % with the 300.

I actually ran the 250 overseas (swiss alps) and found it perfect at places like champery that are ridiculously steep, but most places aren't like that.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
interesting to hear!, well i do like a bit of a firmer setup and well my hometracks are pretty steep and lots of roots and rocks, and within 45 minutes there is maribor which i plan to go to a lot more this summer since they got the new gondola (not such a steep track)

do you bottom very easily? or did you deal with the compression adjustmens with that? i most certainly will try the 300 - and even the 350 but i guess the better choice will be the 300.

havent got any time on it yet, but did it take you long to find proper settings and do you feel they are very far from the factory settings for the sunday?
thanks for the answer!:thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think you'll find the 350 much too firm (for your weight), but the 300 might do the trick - let me know how much sag you get with the 300... I was thinking it might not be enough, and personally thought 275 was perfect. I found with the 250 it did bottom a little easy, nice on steeper tracks though. If you try to compensate with compression damping the shock loses liveliness.

I found the factory settings way off (they are pointless anyway, because they only give one set of settings for all bikes/riders/weights) - too much damping and the shock feels quite dead. I used 1 click of LSC and LSR, and 1 full turn (from open) of HSC and HSR.

As a starting point (for the 300), I'd suggest two clicks in (from full open) on each of the LS adjusters, and 1 1/2 turns in (from full open) of the HS adjusters. I found the rebound and compression worked well being set about the same.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
hey,

thanks for the reply once again, will try the 300 sometime next week as i wont be able to get one for this weekend i think, + it F*** snowed again! :(

i will keep you informed on the 300 ;)

russthedog

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
hey guys, i tried looking around everywhere on the net, but there doesnt seem to be any info on whether a nuke proof Ti spring on a Vivid will fit in a Sunday ie it wont rub on the frame? Id be getting a 350 - in steel it only just rubs. I know the obtainium will fit but wasnt sure about nuke proof.

cheers

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
okay, tried the 250 today at 150lbs riderweight - and i think its deffinitely too soft! - will update on experiences with the 300 and adjustments - in about 2 - 3weeks - I'm going skiing :)))))

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
okay, got out to ride today, wasnt superfast today so i'm not sure yet if the 250 is enought - however - it does rub on the shock body - is it normal for a low spring light that?

btw i do like your setup udi gotta tune from there to the courses here ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
no worries... the spring shouldn't rub the shock body itself, are you running the plastic sleeve? I found I got no rubbing with the sleeve removed, using a DSP (1.43" ID) Ti spring - 250lb.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Has anyone tried the Lg1plus on a Sunday Frame? I tried to put mine on and Im feeling lateral movement of the crank and its as tight as its goign to get. Anyone have any knowledge they can drop on me?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Lateral movement of the crank? Not sure what that has to do with the chainguide... can you clarify? I'm thinking of getting the LG1+ soon too, I just assumed it would fit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My LG1+ fits fine with my saint cranks. No play but spacing took some patience. I'm new to chainguides, so somebody who has done it before or knows the specs shouldn't have a problem.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
The old backplate to the ol backguard type was thicker so I think it took up mroe space and I could get a tight fit with my crank. With this guide I can completely tighten the drank to the backplate and I feel like there still room. I wonder if extra washers would help.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
no worries... the spring shouldn't rub the shock body itself, are you running the plastic sleeve? I found I got no rubbing with the sleeve removed, using a DSP (1.43" ID) Ti spring - 250lb.
its basically only rubbing on the sleeve....

in 2 weeks hopefully maribor will open - then Ill need to try a stiffer spring too :)