Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
There's a little groove for the end stroke rebound adjuster to "fit" into at bottom out. So basically, if you look on the side of the link where that would sit, you'll see a little groove machined out... and because of that, the link is not perfectly symmetrical (given the adjuster is on one side of the shock).

The 07 link is identical except it has no such groove, and therefore the link is symmetrical.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Vivid works fine, perhaps a little unreliable, however given the significantly lower price than the competition it won't hurt to take a stab. The seperate LSR/HSR is nice.

RC4 does have dedicated LSC (and HSC) however it still uses the boost-valve system which some may not like.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Vivid works fine, perhaps a little unreliable, however given the significantly lower price than the competition it won't hurt to take a stab. The seperate LSR/HSR is nice.

RC4 does have dedicated LSC (and HSC) however it still uses the boost-valve system which some may not like.
Hey Udi ive been hearing about Vivid unreliablity in a few places and i was wondering just what the problem is? I was under the impression it was just the typical SRAM assembly problems from the factory.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The issues I've seen are:
- topping out from whatever internal failure
- shaft separating from piston, perhaps fixed/revised now
- inconsistency between units, a friend of mine has a vivid with more stiction than an air shock
- leaking from shaft seal (not exactly uncommon in other shocks either, fox is about the only exception I've seen)

That said, there are plenty of happy owners out there and IMO the shock works pretty well as long as you have a service centre handy (or are lucky enough to get a good one that doesn't experience any of the above). I was fairly happy with the one I owned (it leaked a little) and most of the other ones I've ridden have felt good too.

rideracelive

Chimp
Jan 28, 2010
Hi!

Does anyone know any shop or person (used is ok also) who's selling the 08 Sunday Factory anodized black in size 17"?
Don't tell RScycles. I dislike that satin black.

Other thing. Is there any main difference between the 08 factory and the 09 WC framesets?
I could get a new 09 WC for 1000GBP but heard that they were produced in Taiwan and are even heavier.

Is that true?

thx

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Please dont take this as rude, but a US based forum is most likely not the best place to search for this. '09 IH bikes were not really sold in the states (patent issues, they closed all of their dealers). By late 08, all of the prior dealers had wisely cleared inventory, no frames, no bikes, no parts. RS cycle is the only place in the states that had any access (and that has been 'iffy' at best) since the end of the '08 year.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I have just re-assembled my 05 sunday with the original linkage. I have upgraded to the red lower link however. I installed the Enduro Max-e bearings?? The ones with the wider inner race on all 4 corners of the lower link. As I understand it, I was to leave out the original shims. Which I did. With all the bolts snugged up there is quite a bit of play from left to right at the front end of the lower link. I don't believe the link is ovalized and causing the play. I think it is because there is too much space on either side of the link. As if the inner races on the bearing are not wide enough to extend all the way out to the link. Does any of this make any sense to anyone, and if so do you have an idea for me to try? All I can think of is to reinstall the old bearings and shims and see how it fits. I don't remember there being so much play in it, although it has been disassembled for quite a while and my memory is not the best.
Thanks,
Chris

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
rideracelive -
The 09 WC frame will weigh the same as the 08 factory frame. There is no real difference between the latest taiwan and US frames, the welding is good on both, and they are both 0.9lbs lighter than 06 and earlier frames due to lighter forged uprights. So the US is not lighter. Basically if you can deal with the paintjob (it looks fine when you get a fork without green stickers imo - new black boxxer suits well) then the bike will essentially be the same.

buffalo -
First point to check is that there isn't paint in the bearing seats causing the bearings to not sit as deep as they should. This would cause play, you can scrape it out with a hobby knife or something. Apart from that, it could just be a tolerance issue (05 had issues with this) and all you can do is get some tiny spacers (similar to the old ones) machined up to take out the play. Alternatively if you had no play with the old setup, just buy a pair of standard bearings (instead of the max-e) and run your bike the old way. If you have to use spacers anyway, you might as well use standard bearings (they'll be cheap at your local bearing shop) because that's the only benefit of the max-e's - eliminating the spacers.

Hope that helps

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
Thanks UDI. That does help. I did have the frame powder coated. Although I did inspect it to see if the bearing seats were clean. They did a great job masking everything. I will take it apart and double check though. I think I will re-assemble it with the regular bearings and spacers (assuming nothing wrong in the seats) and check for play that way.
Thanks again.
Chris

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Is the 09 Sunday WC or the 08 Sunday Factory frames any diferente form the 08 Sunday WC frame? (weight, meterials, etc...).

Wich is the best performing shock for the Sunday? (Vivid 5.1 TFtuned, Bos Sunday tune, CCDB, etc...)

Is the K9 Industries headset cup reducer angle a good update for the Sunday frame? It changes the head angle from 65º to 63º (Sam Hill used a 63.75º on his Sunday).

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Definetly go with the k9 arc cups, they really changed my sunday for the better. With 2.2 wetscreams it sits in on 13.5 bb height so it went from railing to rapeing turns. First time out with them i could feel that the bike handled a little slower than before, but after a couple of runs it felt so much more stable and inspired even more confidence to going fast. Even on my home testtrack wich is somewhat flat and really tight around trees i think it feels alot better and my freelap clock agrees.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
does anyone have a picture of one of those worked on lower links? i'd be interested to see one! preferably a 08/09 or whenever the newer ones came out!

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Wich is the best performing shock for the Sunday? (Vivid 5.1 TFtuned or Bos Sunday tuned)

Is the 09 Sunday WC or the 08 Sunday Factory frames any diferente form the 08 Sunday WC frame? (weight, meterials, etc...).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wich is the best performing shock for the Sunday? (Vivid 5.1 TFtuned or Bos Sunday tuned)

nobody will be able to tell you which shock is better. The tftuned shock will be custom set up for you, which may be perfect. It's well known that BOS makes some of the best shocks in the biz, but they no longer make the sunday link and service/support is lacking in the states but MAY be better elsewhere. If it were me, I'd jump at the option of a BOS, but that's not likely, so a custom tuned shock is a very close runner up.

I can't confirm, but I'd bet that all of the specs on 09 frames are the same as o8 frames minus colors. Check out the IH website, that info should be good to answer your questions.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Than why is the WC heavier?
It's not - look if you don't want to take solid advice (from someone who has weighed both frames bare) and you think you know better, why ask the question?

The only frame that will be lighter is the black 08 factory and that is purely because it is anodized and is therefore missing the 100g of paint/powdercoat that is on the other frames. When stripped bare, the 07+ us and taiwan frames have weighed within 20g of each other, which is enough to put down to manufacturing variations.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
does anyone have a picture of one of those worked on lower links? i'd be interested to see one! preferably a 08/09 or whenever the newer ones came out!
This is one I did for the BOS Stoy:

http://i48.tinypic.com/oa2btj.jpg

The shape will vary depending on the shock you have, but for most of them you need to take the frontal brace out as per that pic.

rideracelive

Chimp
Jan 28, 2010
yes. thats why I asked, cuz I've been talking about the 08 factory anodized vs the 09 wc.
Thx anyway

It's not - look if you don't want to take solid advice (from someone who has weighed both frames bare) and you think you know better, why ask the question?

The only frame that will be lighter is the black 08 factory and that is purely because it is anodized and is therefore missing the 100g of paint/powdercoat that is on the other frames. When stripped bare, the 07+ us and taiwan frames have weighed within 20g of each other, which is enough to put down to manufacturing variations.

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks Sandwich and Udi!

The only doubt i kept was about the frame weights... Why would IH say that the 08 Factory weights less 0.9lbs than the 08 WC? (I ask because Udi say the diference in that weight is 20gr) If that diference exists, where should it be? (paint, bolts, axle, etc...?)

I'm from Europe (Portugal\Spain) so i don't really know if Bos company works better here..

Do you know where can i buy a Bos Sunday Stoy + link?
And do you know where can i buy an 08 Iron Horse Sunday Factory (black)?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks Sandwich and Udi!

The only doubt i kept was about the frame weights... Why would IH say that the 08 Factory weights less 0.9lbs than the 08 WC? (I ask because Udi say the diference in that weight is 20gr) If that diference exists, where should it be? (paint, bolts, axle, etc...?)

I'm from Europe (Portugal\Spain) so i don't really know if Bos company works better here..

Do you know where can i buy a Bos Sunday Stoy + link?
And do you know where can i buy an 08 Iron Horse Sunday Factory (black)?
No, the actual deal is, that ALL the 07+ frames are 0.9lbs lighter than previous year frames. There was DEFINITELY some mis-advertising in that respect (I didn't understand it originally either), but someone from IH cleared it up (in the depths of this thread) that the 0.9lbs was to do with lighter forged uprights that were brought in in 07. Since 07 the frame hasn't really changed apart from that small machining to fit the Vivid in 08.

The BLACK 08 specifically (not the white one) would be a little lighter than the rest of the 07+ frames though, I think I worked out it was about 80g, due to being anodized. But you can anodize any of the frames, one of my sunday frames is too.

The frames are pretty rare these days though, I can't imagine you getting a specific one in a hurry unless you call a few shops in your area about it.

As for the BOS, if you don't have a distributor there, I can put you in touch with our distributor (awesome guy) and I'm sure he will work out a way to get you a kit including a link.

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Marvelous Sunday you have there! :)

Does the Bos perform notacebly better than the other shock you had?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
If anyone is after one, I have a very lightly used BOS link for Sunday thats now going spare.