Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
what do you mean. i used an allan to pull the set screws out but i dont remember reading about using an allan wrench to turn the adjuster knob, but i might have missed that part. thanks dave.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yo frznnomad, you use the allen to actually turn the knob, not to screw anything. There are holes in the sides of the knob for a 5mm (I think) allen wrench. Put the long side of the allen in there and use it kinda like a lever to rotate the knob and it's like buttah - much easier to turn.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh thanks guys i acctually just read that in the manual so later this afternoon i will be doing so and take care of the problem. thanks again fellas i was starting to get worried.

I think Fox are recommending a minimum of 125 psi in the air chamber now.

Yea, I noticed this on the 2008 DHX3 that came on my Sunday. The PSI range on the resevour says 125-200. I fitted my older 2006 DHX5 and that was 75 to 200.

I was wondering if it was just for the DHX3, but I found the following text in thr FOX Help PDF doc for 2008

"Never ride your bike with more than 200 PSI or less than 125 PSI in the reservoir air chamber.
Doing so can damage your shock and require repairs that are NOT covered under warranty."

The following is my opinion only - not to be confused with fact -

Perhaps Fox discovered that under certain conditions the damping was lacking unless there was adequate pressure in the resevoir. I know that despite a minimum of 50PSI being spec'ed for manitou swinger resevoirs that the recommendation amonst mechanics I spoke to was to run a min of 75PSI, as seemingly lower pressures affected the damping performance in certain situations.

Anyway, I haven't been too happy with the performance of the DHX on the SUnday, so will up the pressure to 125PSI to see if it makes any difference.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Did fox do any changes with the propedal for 2008? Hope so, because it´s a big difference in sensivity between 75 and 125 psi...

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
That teeny little pan head 4mm bolt takes 26N*M?
Front CS (Chainstay) is just a fancy way of saying front triangle lower pivot, which if I'm not mistaken uses a 5mm allen key. The rear CS pivot is the one that uses the 4mm allen key and takes 3.7 newton meters. Hope that clears things up.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Does anyone know where I can find a Vivid, Roco or DHX with the correct Sunday tune in a hurry? Need to have one in hand in the next 2 weeks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
As of right now, SRAM is out of Vivids, and getting a Rocco sent to MarzUSA in Cali for the proper tune could take a while.

Try picking up a DHX for cheap and getting it sent to PUSH for the "Sunday Piston Bolt and Rebound Valve Assembly" Kit. They are super busy like everyone else, but for an extra fee Darren should be able to expedite the order.

Hope this helps.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Push works on the Roco also, could they set up up correctly for the Sunday? Between the DHX and Roco, which is a better choice?

My Sunday is an 05 Factory. Do I need to just change the lower link to run one of these shocks? Any other hardware I may need?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
For the 05' you would definitely need a new lower link. I.H. sells just the link (08 version clears the Vivid too) for around $70.

PUSH also works on the Rocco, but I don't know if they do a tune for the Sunday. For the DHX - I am positive they have one.

If I can reach Darren tomorrow, I'll ask him. Those guys are pretty busy these days.

I'll get back to you one way or the other.

Hope this helps.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Thanks. I was planning on calling them tomorrow if I can get some free time at work.

Do you know if Marz ever released their Sunday tune? Wondering if I can pick one up new with the tune.

Winston

Chimp
Feb 17, 2006
Irvine, CA
I just got a “Race System” tune done on my 2008 Roco WC (coil) this month for my 7Point.

Push received the shock on a Friday and shipped it out the following Monday. (I paid the extra $40 for expedited service and they delivered.)

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
As of right now, SRAM is out of Vivids, and getting a Rocco sent to MarzUSA in Cali for the proper tune could take a while.
Looks like out of my limited options, the Roco is the best bet. I called them today and was told they have a "low leverage ratio tune" that should work well with the Sunday. Mike said they should be able to get the shock out in a week. Gonna try it out.

Question is: what spring rate should I be looking for? I weigh 155-158 lbs nekid, about 170lbs with riding gear. I have been using a 275lb spring on the 5th with 1-2mm of preload which has been pretty spot on getting the proper sag. Should I be looking to get a 300 or 350 lb spring for the Roco?

I also ordered a red lower link from Carl this morning.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would guess 300....might even give the 275 a go. I am closer to 185/190 and run a 350.

Unless you are huck'n to uphill landings a lot

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Will a Progressive spring fit correctly on a Roco? I would rather not spend the aprox. $50 on a steel spring and save it towards a Ti spring if the Progressive will work correctly.

Winston

Chimp
Feb 17, 2006
Irvine, CA
Yes. I have used Progressive ti and Progressive steel springs on a Roco without issue.

Will a Progressive spring fit correctly on a Roco? I would rather not spend the aprox. $50 on a steel spring and save it towards a Ti spring if the Progressive will work correctly.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Hi,

I am currently running a 450 Spring on my DHX 5. Would like to replace it with a Nukeproof or any other quality titanium spring. Any idea if that thin will fit into the frame? It is a bit tight right now with the steel spring already...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hi,

I am currently running a 450 Spring on my DHX 5. Would like to replace it with a Nukeproof or any other quality titanium spring. Any idea if that thin will fit into the frame? It is a bit tight right now with the steel spring already...
On a Sunday? Should fit fine, althought it seems like Nukeproof is using a larger diameter to fit more shocks. The mojo springs are DHX specific and should be a little smaller diameter (1.37" vs 1.43" I.D.).

I could not find contact info for Nukeproof, but it might be worth an e-mail to see if they could provide some measurements.

That is a lot of spring for a sunday, are you sure you need a 450?

bikemuscle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2008
Just got a Sunday World Cup frame and it came with a 300lb Vivid.
I weigh 230lbs without gear
I got this spring calculator about a year ago from one of the techs from Iron Horse:

http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/

Rider weight with gear 235lbs
Damper stroke 3in
Wheel travel 9.5in
Desired sag 33% or 1/3

sugests 450lb with 2 turns of preload

I'm no racer I just like hitting all the stunts at the bike parks. I guess I'm more of a free rider, I spend a lot of time at Mammoth during the summer. I like Whistler too, A Line is the best. www.youtube.com/bikemuscle

Should I run a bigger spring with less sag for my style of riding. The shock comes with different drop stops, I plan on using the hard one.

I would appreciate any kind suggestions

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just got a Sunday World Cup frame and it came with a 300lb Vivid.
I weigh 230lbs without gear
I got this spring calculator about a year ago from one of the techs from Iron Horse:

http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/

Rider weight with gear 235lbs
Damper stroke 3in
Wheel travel 9.5in
Desired sag 33% or 1/3

sugests 450lb with 2 turns of preload

I'm no racer I just like hitting all the stunts at the bike parks. I guess I'm more of a free rider, I spend a lot of time at Mammoth during the summer. I like Whistler too, A Line is the best. www.youtube.com/bikemuscle

Should I run a bigger spring with less sag for my style of riding. The shock comes with different drop stops, I plan on using the hard one.

I would appreciate any kind suggestions
http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/ this is a great spring calc. for single pivots and what not but we tend to use TFtuned's spring calc for DW link bikes, http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html. That calc spat out an answer of 427lb spring to get 33% sag, so I'd say anywhere from 400-450 depending on how you want the bike to ride and how much sag you're planning on running.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Has the weight of Sunday decreased significantly or not?
I'm riding a '05 World Cup and was wondering if the frame is heavier than the newer ones.
Actually this info is on the front page - I have it set up as a giant archive...

If you are riding an 05' WC, that frame was made in Taiwan and uses 6061 tubing.

Compared to the new Factory frames which use 6069 tubing (and always have) with the new F7 linkage, these frames are 0.9 lbs. lighter than the one you curretly have.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Compared to the new Factory frames which use 6069 tubing (and always have) with the new F7 linkage, these frames are 0.9 lbs. lighter than the one you curretly have.
If I read this correctly-all of the weight savings from a 2005 factory to a 2008 Factory is in the linkage and shock, correct?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If I read this correctly-all of the weight savings from a 2005 factory to a 2008 Factory is in the linkage and shock, correct?
Negative.

The Factory frames use 6069 tubing whereas the Taiwanese made 05' WC frames used 6061.

So a majority of the weight savings is in the frame.

...damn - did I really screw up communicating that?

If I did - my bad
:biggrin:

Will a Roco WC Air fit the Sunday with the red 06 lower DHX link?
Claus - an excellent question - I don't think we've run into that combination yet. I'll shoot Carl an email and have an answer for you by Monday.