Quantcast

The Multi-Tool of all Multi-Tools: Who has it?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Gerber, leatherman, other? I've had a few low end leathermans over the years, and the handles always collapse when trying to open the pliers and the knife blades are LAME on all that Ive owned.

Id like one that would actually make the knife USEFUL instead of the floppy, dangerous piece of metal that it usually is.

Any suggestions?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Honestly I'd rather have a good knife and a good set of pliers than a multitool. I think of them like a hybrid comfort bike, not that much fun on the road and not that much fun on the dirt.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I had a crankbros 17 multi tool. It was really good, but now it's gone...

edit: my friend has a multi tool leatherman. It is so sharp. The one he has, has a serrated and straight knife (2).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You mean for riding? Crank Bros and a Buck.
No. Not for riding. Just in general. Something comfortable to use and durable.

I realize, westy, that having a great model of each individual tool would surely be better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you tried a Leatherman Wave? I like mine, it's far sturdier than the flimsy, typical Leatherman handle and knife. Plus, you don't have to open it to access the knife or other blades.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've had a leatherman wave that worked really well. My cousin who's an army ranger swears by the gerber multi tool though. Both seem to work well

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If having pliers is a must, I would get a Letherman or Gerber. If not then look at a Victoinox, I have a "Fireman" wich has a one-hand-openable blade, screwdrivers, bottle opener, can opener, awl, and a saw, it cost $35ish and I've been using it daily for the last 13 months without any issues.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I have a Leatherman Wave that I use for work almost daily; I couldn't live w/o it. No complaints here at all. Much better than the Leatherman Juice I used to have a couple of years ago.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Gerber, leatherman, other? I've had a few low end leathermans over the years, and the handles always collapse when trying to open the pliers and the knife blades are LAME on all that Ive owned.

Id like one that would actually make the knife USEFUL instead of the floppy, dangerous piece of metal that it usually is.

Any suggestions?
I have a windchester one. Cost like $15 @ walmart. Wood grip... good pliers, good main blade. It had all kinds of useless different sized blades on it and I kept almost cutting myself trying to get the bottle opener out, so I took it apart, removed all the useless blades and replaced them with small spacers of equal width. Now its lighter, has one 4+" main blade, a canopener, a bottleopener, flathead and phillips head screwdrivers, and a hex attachment for inserting different types of screwdriver heads, though I never use it.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I have a Leatherman Juice and it's the best GP multi that I've owned.

True story.
I have a Leatherman Juice Pro and it's not that great. I would much rather have a regular old-style Leatherman. The Juice hasn't failed me in any way, but the construction is not confidence inspiring, and they left HUGE wire edges on the knife blades. I picked it up at Costco for cheap though, so for the price I'm reasonably satisfied. Although the pliers part of the multi-tool seems like it would be infinitely useful everyday, in practice it's not.

I carry a generic, slightly more robust Leatherman Micra and a folding knife in my backpack at all times. I use the knife all the time, but I use the rest of the stuff quite rarely.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Leatherman. I use it for backpacking and fishing, which are the places that I would actually want to use a multitool, and it works great.

For me pliers are a must.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The pliers on the swiss tool suck. Not to mention that all the tools are rounded off in the typical swiss army knife fashion. Makes the tools slip.

That and I hate the swiss, what with their chocolate, banks and nutrality.
well, poo on you! I like my Swiss tool!

The SOG Pocket Power Pliers tool is pretty nice too

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
If having pliers is a must, I would get a Letherman or Gerber. If not then look at a Victoinox, I have a "Fireman" wich has a one-hand-openable blade, screwdrivers, bottle opener, can opener, awl, and a saw, it cost $35ish and I've been using it daily for the last 13 months without any issues.
How the **** do they call it a "Fireman" and there is no hose, axe or jaws of life? :plthumbsdown:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
The pliers on the swiss tool suck. Not to mention that all the tools are rounded off in the typical swiss army knife fashion. Makes the tools slip.

That and I hate the swiss, what with their chocolate, banks and nutrality.
Does that have something to do with those giant swamp rats in Louisiana?

It doesn't matter. I hate the swiss too. Cheap bastards cheating you out of cheese with all of those holes.