Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
If my Shimanos end up being too shitty, I have a set of new TRP Slate T4 Evo ready to install, but my previous "Radius" mechanicals were fine even at the steepest/longest Sentiers du moulin trails, so it should be fine. I still have those as another option to try. To be fair, the Level seemed alright, but my no-Sram-parts policy is still in effect so I couldn't keep them :brows: They are now on my previous fat bike that I've sold to a friend, and since I'll be the one fixing his bike if something happens, I'm glad that they were working well.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@canadmos Yes I might have gone too deep...but now I know that everything's good for the long haul. The spoke tension was too high (120-130kgf with the tires on), so I lowered that to 90-100kgf. Many spokes are too short (2-3 threads poking in from the nipple), but they should hold up since I'm not riding that bike into big g outs or drops.

If you remove your rotors, make sure to have a Wera t25 hey key handy. My "regular" t25 would damage the bolt heads since they were like 15Nm tight with blue loctite. I've seen that many people couldn't take the bolts out without destroying the heads, but I was able to do it with the Wera hex. The hub's threads still looked perfect, so I replaced most of the bolts, torqued that to 6Nm and that was good to go.

My front wheel axle's holes aren't perfectly lined up, so I need to be careful when threading the axle, but the rear one is perfect. The rest of the bike was really well made, and everything is straight. Seems like a frame worth upgrading... which is what I'll try not to do too much!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Damn you went deep :busted:

It was super tough snow today, but the tires seem to do alright. I was definitely the weak link...and the deep snow on the climbs. I put studs in them, so that'll be interesting to try out.

The Level brakes are a little agricultural but actually worked better than the Shimanos I have on the old fatbike. We'll see how they are on bigger hills..
The Level are downright dangerous. I'm a light weight and they just faded so quick. And they were icing like crazy. Imagine, I replaced those with Guides which we know are much "better"

Tried to find a deal on Dominions but can't justify the price right now.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
@Jozz How do you like the Mastodon ? Which version is it? I'm thinking about getting a V2 100mm for the Garneau, but that wouldn't really be needed...
I've got the regular comp set at 100mm. Normally I wouldn't think it's needed on groomed winter trails. But we're I ride we got some stuff that is being groomed (by me mostly) that includes really steep chutes and gap jumps and drops. Trails I wouldn't have attempted with my old fatbike with carbon fork.

Only gripes, this winter I rode often on no snow cover with rocks and roots and kinda discovered that the basic comp damper needs some tweaking. Feels like it's under damped. Rebound is at full slow and it's still a bit fast.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nope, dropper's f*cked. They assured me this would work great down to -20...This is why you keep prior warranty replacements on hand :) PNW to the rescue.
Update though, WT is taking care of the dropper. Supposedly the early ones have a fluid in them that "goes bad" and the updated ones have a new fluid that doesn't suffer from the same issue. It worked great right up until when it didn't. Glad they are standing behind it.

Thanks for the message. It looks like your post was built in October of 2022 prior to us switching to our V2 blue dropper fluid. We found the original clear V1 fluid was not clearing the air as quickly from the fluid.

The 2" of squish sounds exactly like what we have seen with some of the original batched dropper posts that were using our V1 fluid. We can send you a return label and get this swapped out for you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Holy balls it's cold out.

Trails kinda sucked. Poached some groomed nordic ski trails, but they were soft and deep. Could even see where the skiers were sinking in spots; made for two hectic downhills.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Holy balls it's cold out.

Trails kinda sucked. Poached some groomed nordic ski trails, but they were soft and deep. Could even see where the skiers were sinking in spots; made for two hectic downhills.

Your bike looks cold. No bags with jackets, whiskey, etc.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I can feel the cold! It's -22C today and I can't figure out how I was motivated to go ride in those temps in the previous winters. Still haven't taken the GL3 out, but the more I wait, the more I am tempted to upgrade (unneccessary) stuff on it, so I better act quick.

I prefer those hiking trails to the groomed trail center ones. It feels more like exploring in the woods, especially at night (I ride 95% at night on the fat bike).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I can feel the cold! It's -22C today and I can't figure out how I was motivated to go ride in those temps in the previous winters. Still haven't taken the GL3 out, but the more I wait, the more I am tempted to upgrade (unneccessary) stuff on it, so I better act quick.

I prefer those hiking trails to the groomed trail center ones. It feels more like exploring in the woods, especially at night (I ride 95% at night on the fat bike).
Yeah we usually just follow where the snowshoers go, its usually good enough.

Even where they groom the trail here, the snowdogs or whatever they use suck, so it still needs snowshoes or just people riding on it to make it better.

But man, if you have the opportunity to sneak onto some nordic trails that are groomed hard and have some hills, they are a blast. You have like 10-12 feet of trail to drift around on - hitting 60kmh on a fat bike and having to turn can be a little puckering. :D

Just gotta watch out for those set tracks, they're like magnets and have sent me into the bush a few times. :brows:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, the machined groom is boring to me. We got tight twistiest in the woods and some DH tracks that we stomp out and they are tons of fun...but the machine groom is "meh", I get bored quickly there.

-20C DHing last night, it was great. I tried goggles to go faster. Contacts rule. 5700 lumens so I could burn through my tinted goggles (worked just fine).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Trails were pretty good, even if it was pissing rain.

This hill sucked. Made a wrong turn and went up one of the steep double tracks. Derp.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, there's a bigger one that has just opened at Dungog but I can't find any vids.
I need to remind you that your have hardtail in your RM name so giddy up and get on down there and rip that hard tail around that pump track!

Damn now I want a track like that in my back yard, I want a HT and some nice weather like that too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh jeebus, forgive me for I have sinned.

I underestimated how warm it's been and laid down some nice ruts. :brows:

This section of trail on the edge of a pond was a little sketch.

Aborted and did a loop on the path back to the car. What a struggle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pet Peeve, trail designers that leave eye-level hazards in the trail. Other than that, fabulous ride and ending with fresh snow.
HV3MJ-nBZ1GNNPIle_j8qS1FXhqmrh49CrM6DKFXhWM-1536x2048.jpg
7axtLt3juzrOR_wXX2zPe-Jg3FjnyxAMoY7cyiWOZnM-2048x1536.jpg
TPKhQqYGn_wTRLZLHb5zuFBgiqiZB_hONgvxwdDapwM-2048x1536.jpg
IUhuFef62xZMs3MfulsjyvC3wDOpR2nmSgx0hsMWZRY-1536x2048.jpg
-I_43g6cvQxlnhV7IS5qZPmNM-ahztkpLQq5a0vfTrY-2048x1536.jpg