Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Maybe peak fall colors today. Trails were packed with people. Led legs today so I focused on the down hills and jumps. Getting some good movement back in the bike in the air. You have Sweden out in the distance and 1999 Fox jersey still ruling the trails!
IMG_0642.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know I asked you before, but what are you using for pogies?
Coldest day so far, several places were saying low single digits, a few at zero, my temp gauge recorded a min of 6 on the ride. I use Dogwood Design's pogies for most everything, there are a few places you can order from and they are carried in all the local shops, but the actual maker, who I met in Fairbanks, doesn't really sell online or anything, she's an "off the grid" type, had to "come into town" in Fairbanks to sell me the boot-version of the handlebar pogies. I can help if you are interested though. The main attractions is how versatile they are. Pogies tend to get real warm for a lot of people and conditions change radically on a ride, climbing up vs. descending, so these can be rolled up fairly easily and you can ride with "no pogies" while they are rolled up. At the top, pull on them and they go back to their primary shape. The cinch strings help eliminate cold air going in, while other designs use less efficient means for the same thing. The way they "stay up" is a little hokey, there's an elastic strap inside and as long as you pull this over your handlebar, they stay up, it doesn't have a more secure way like some that screw into plugs in your handlebar, but it also doesn't make your bars wider, which is important in our tight trees. These come in a heavier version, but I've only seen that one in the Fairbanks shops.

The other ones I have are Revelate Expedition pogies. I only take these out when it's in the -Fs and they have an inner fleece sock that can be removed, but they are much less versatile, more bulky and rigid, harder to ride aggressive, make your bars a lot wider, etc.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
New bike is bonkers.
Still figuring it out, but it certainly feels different than the Nomad 3. Given I’ve changed every single variable other than wheel size, go figure.
DF037F35-9ABD-4AC9-87D7-F1E3A3829B3A.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New bike is bonkers.
Still figuring it out, but it certainly feels different than the Nomad 3. Given I’ve changed every single variable other than wheel size, go figure.
View attachment 151611
Alu or plastic frame? I like the look of the Sights, reach measurement is a bit scary on the XL compared to my current bike though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Alu or plastic frame? I like the look of the Sights, reach measurement is a bit scary on the XL compared to my current bike though.
The chain stays are alu, the rest is plastic. I’d initially planned to get the top spec Alu Sight, but then this happened.

He is relying on photons to shift, do you really think he went metal?
Precisely.

I’m almost embarrassed by how nice this bike is. Almost. The stem is pretty embarrassing, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The chain stays are alu, the rest is plastic. I’d initially planned to get the top spec Alu Sight, but then this happened.

Precisely.

I’m almost embarrassed by how nice this bike is. Almost. The stem is pretty embarrassing, though.

I'd be embarrassed too. For how much that seatpost costs I hope it stimulates your prostate.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That can't be the saddle angle you actually ride with? :twitch:
I adjusted it special for the picture.

I’ve not gotten everything quite figured out, but it is actually not far off what I usually find comfy.

The seat clamp on this dropper is actually pretty awesome. I hope it remains reliable.
I'd be embarrassed too. For how much that seatpost costs I hope it stimulates your prostate.
I got a screaming deal. Pretty much cost me what a C2 would have cost me MSRP.

I planned to sell all the AXS stuff, but I figured I need to live a little.

The whole bike is bananas. Except the stem...

Coldest day so far, several places were saying low single digits, a few at zero, my temp gauge recorded a min of 6 on the ride. I use Dogwood Design's pogies for most everything, there are a few places you can order from and they are carried in all the local shops, but the actual maker, who I met in Fairbanks, doesn't really sell online or anything, she's an "off the grid" type, had to "come into town" in Fairbanks to sell me the boot-version of the handlebar pogies. I can help if you are interested though. The main attractions is how versatile they are. Pogies tend to get real warm for a lot of people and conditions change radically on a ride, climbing up vs. descending, so these can be rolled up fairly easily and you can ride with "no pogies" while they are rolled up. At the top, pull on them and they go back to their primary shape. The cinch strings help eliminate cold air going in, while other designs use less efficient means for the same thing. The way they "stay up" is a little hokey, there's an elastic strap inside and as long as you pull this over your handlebar, they stay up, it doesn't have a more secure way like some that screw into plugs in your handlebar, but it also doesn't make your bars wider, which is important in our tight trees. These come in a heavier version, but I've only seen that one in the Fairbanks shops.

The other ones I have are Revelate Expedition pogies. I only take these out when it's in the -Fs and they have an inner fleece sock that can be removed, but they are much less versatile, more bulky and rigid, harder to ride aggressive, make your bars a lot wider, etc.
I have been using the 45NRTH pogies. They're s PITA in that the foam inserts are always managing to get out of place and the bar end plug mount is a PITA. At this point eyelet has detached itself on one side also. That said, they have been in service for seven years, perhaps I should quit whining and just buy a new pair.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have been using the 45NRTH pogies. They're s PITA in that the foam inserts are always managing to get out of place and the bar end plug mount is a PITA. At this point eyelet has detached itself on one side also. That said, they have been in service for seven years, perhaps I should quit whining and just buy a new pair.
Those sound a lot like my Revelate ones, stupid foam plug, bar-plug things. I was even going to use the Revelate ones this morning on my other bike because it's down around zero, but realized I don't have the stupid bar plug things installed in that one. They are warm, too warm for most stuff, but too specialized for most riding.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the day turned out nice but shit was still slick as hell from rain on thursday and last night.

big leaf magnolias were down!

did't push up ye olde powerline cut today but did go over and ride the lower part of the off-property dh run.