Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
https://www.treehugger.com/culture/if-you-really-want-help-planet-dont-have-another-kid.html

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, there are four key “high-impact” actions to take, according to the Canadian study just published in Environmental News Letters:

#1 – Do not have an additional child (58.6 tonnes CO2-equiv. emission reductions per year)
#2 – Live car-free (2.4 tonnes CO2)
#3 – Avoid one round-trip transatlantic flight (1.6 tonnes)
#4 – Eat a plant-based diet (0.8 tonnes)

These differ significantly from the popular advice for “greening” one’s lifestyle, which fall squarely into the “low-impact” category:

- Replace typical car with hybrid (0.52 tonnes)
- Wash clothes in cold water (0.25 tonnes)
- Recycle (0.21 tonnes)
- Upgrade light bulbs (0.10 tonnes)
They excluded:
-Not having a dog (5.69 tonnes)
-Not having a cat(2.4 tonnes CO2)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Carbon black is used in the rubber so the larger tires actually encapsulate carbon from the atmosphere, same thing with carbon frames. (assuming they are not burnt upon retirement)

The larger frames and tires do moar than their smaller counterparts

Who knew Dentists were green

Well not that kind of green.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Depends how much of the carcass you have previously eaten.
I speaking more to removing a hooker from the carbon use cycle.

Otherwise I generally render into biodiesel. If you ever get a whiff of exhaust that smells like poor life decisions...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The shot-putter wrote that?

Interesting quote from the article:
“We think our mind controls our behavior, but in fact we are social creatures, not rational,” Ruben wrote. “We have built a world—we have built our systems—for the rational person, not the real person, so we have built a world that hates us. We have built a world with infinite hot water, and then we are blamed for taking long showers. We have built a world with wide highways and fast cars, and then we are blamed for driving too much. We might as well blame the giraffe for eating leaves from the top of the tree.”

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apocalyptic literature has existed for quite a long time. Probably every generation of man has believed the end is near. Only one will be right, and it'll be an impossible record to break.
#aimhigh
The world won't end, but civilizations have numerous times throughout history and species go extinct.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The world won't end, but civilizations have numerous times throughout history and species go extinct.
Metaphorical end of the world is as good as the real one.

It there is no forest for a tree to fall in, and nobody is alive to hear it, does it matter that it doesn't makes a sound?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Metaphorical end of the world is as good as the real one.

It there is no forest for a tree to fall in, and nobody is alive to hear it, does it matter that it doesn't makes a sound?
The physics still apply. Like matter cannot occupy the same space. Inversely if the tree falls. By virtue of it falling and striking the ground. It will produce a shock wave no matter how local and that will have to produce a sound. Just as it does when someone is there to hear it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The physics still apply. Like matter cannot occupy the same space. Inversely if the tree falls. By virtue of it falling and striking the ground. It will produce a shock wave no matter how local and that will have to produce a sound. Just as it does when someone is there to hear it.
Thanks, Peter Dickinson.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Right, it depends on the resolution of your seismograph, you'll "hear" or rather see it on the graph.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/seismograms

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Step 1: Remove all warning labels
Step 2: Deny medical care for idiots the drink bleach, gas, shove their wangs into blenders. (Minus kids that don't know better)
Step 3: Profit?
You better call poison control soon