Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Minivans drive better than CUVs, which drive better than body on frame SUVs/trucks.
I find this to be opposite, the minivan with its giant sliding doors lead to the least rigid body and minivans are the least likely to have any kind of stiffer suspension/sporty options. Unlike say, a Porsche macan. No doubt there are some pretty bad CUVs, but as a whole they drive better than a minivan in my experience. But if you have 8 kids...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Minivans drive better than CUVs, which drive better than body on frame SUVs/trucks.
Challenge. We drove a Odyssey before we bot the Pilot. Completely different drive with the Pilot taking it by miles. More height and body roll, but definitely stiffer and better bite.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am 50/50 on the minivan, Sienna AWD would be first choice, carry a ton more crap then my 4Runner, can carry couple bikes inside in winter.

I have grown out of modifying cars, just a money pit that I can't afford anymore.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks like I'll be looking for a new car soon, sounds like the alfa needs new brakes, and I'm not about to drop thousands to have the dealership do it (or a local shop with dealership only parts) and I don't have time and patience to do it myself. Who would have guessed an italian car made out of FCA components would be poorly put together?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Jm_ is talking about autocrossing it. :D
Indeed.

I'd argue that for daily use the things that matter:

- h point
- floor height
- roof height (not having to duck under A pillar when getting in)
- door size, and big power sliders really reign supreme with little kids
- powertrain calibration, smooth tip-in, etc.
- outward visibility

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
looks like I'll be looking for a new car soon, sounds like the alfa needs new brakes, and I'm not about to drop thousands to have the dealership do it (or a local shop with dealership only parts) and I don't have time and patience to do it myself. Who would have guessed an italian car made out of FCA components would be poorly put together?
car needs new brakes thus ditch whole car?! in my tax bracket we get it fixed

in stoney's tax bracket he spends a week with the car on jackstands and trades 20 hours for $1000

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Didn't you *just* buy that car?? :confused:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am 50/50 on the minivan, Sienna AWD would be first choice, carry a ton more crap then my 4Runner, can carry couple bikes inside in winter.

I have grown out of modifying cars, just a money pit that I can't afford anymore.
We rented a Sienna hybrid last week in Florida, it edges out the Subaru Crosstrek for the biggest POS that I have driven.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
car needs new brakes thus ditch whole car?! in my tax bracket we get it fixed

in stoney's tax bracket he spends a week with the car on jackstands and trades 20 hours for $1000
so far, I've had rust repaired on the trunklid, the entire dash replaced, the screen replaced, an evap canister replaced (check engine light), several problems with the radio, the battery died (went to the dealer twice for that) plus a few other things I'm missing that have been repaired

I still have: the 12v socket doesn't work, the driver's seat creaks in a certain position (been to the dealer twice for that) random creaks and rattles that shouldn't exist, very few infotainment updates

The car has a lot of dealer-only parts and can't be serviced at a regular FCA dealer, so I need to go to a Bentley dealership to get work done. This is all on a three and a half year old car that has less than 40k on it. It's been fun, but the warranty expires in the fall and I'm DONE.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There has got to be an "I told you so" in this story somewhere... maybe in the original thread where you admitted to buying this fancy Italian sedan? :rofl:
I'm literally quoting myself when I said "An italian made FCA Product [was a bad idea]". I've enjoyed my ownership and it hasn't been a bad investment...it's just going to be wise to let it go before it becomes financially ruinous. I've done no worse than leasing, and will likely end up doing better based on current used car prices and the car's value.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
so far, I've had rust repaired on the trunklid, the entire dash replaced, the screen replaced, an evap canister replaced (check engine light), several problems with the radio, the battery died (went to the dealer twice for that) plus a few other things I'm missing that have been repaired

I still have: the 12v socket doesn't work, the driver's seat creaks in a certain position (been to the dealer twice for that) random creaks and rattles that shouldn't exist, very few infotainment updates

The car has a lot of dealer-only parts and can't be serviced at a regular FCA dealer, so I need to go to a Bentley dealership to get work done. This is all on a three and a half year old car that has less than 40k on it. It's been fun, but the warranty expires in the fall and I'm DONE.
Should have gone with the Stinger?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Something, something Alfa, something, something FCA... I'm sorry I can't hear you over the echo of everyone yelling. Something about bad idea? I can't make it out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Should have gone with the Stinger?
Maybe, but I couldn't afford the V6 and they optioned/priced that car pretty poorly/weirdly. It ended up being very expensive to get what I would call "necessary" options. They are still expensive cars, a GT1 will be over 30k used and that's more than my alfa will sell for after I dump it. I have also heard poor comments about the build quality of those and the dealership experience for me locally was a nightmare...

I'll pick up something generic with an @jonKranked trailer hitch this time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL, I am mostly interested in the hyundai genesis as a replacement, but I'll consider anything that will spend more time on the road than in the garage.

I am unfortunately drawn to other FCA products, like the Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, but don't know if I want to go down this road again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

One of the best quotes from @Sandwich his own damn self: "maybe RM will be able to make fun of me //After all." :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWIW, my wife's Ontario-built PHEV FCA minivan has been very reliable. One 12V battery problem but that's not really FCA's fault.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FWIW, my wife's Ontario-built PHEV FCA minivan has been very reliable. One 12V battery problem but that's not really FCA's fault.
I'm learning there is a difference between reliability and build quality. The alfa has been reliable. It's never not started and has never broken down. It's just put together with gabbagoo and hot pesto, and now the antipasti is falling off. My battery also died at about 3y on the nose. I have no doubt that a v8 in a 300 will run for 1000 years...but the headliner might melt by 20k miles.

I can't bring myself to buy a minivan, but it's nice to hear that the Pacifica has been good. They look cool.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm learning there is a difference between reliability and build quality. The alfa has been reliable. It's never not started and has never broken down. It's just put together with gabbagoo and hot pesto, and now the antipasti is falling off. My battery also died at about 3y on the nose. I have no doubt that a v8 in a 300 will run for 1000 years...but the headliner might melt by 20k miles.

I can't bring myself to buy a minivan, but it's nice to hear that the Pacifica has been good. They look cool.
You should get a Bronco. :brows:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You should get a Bronco. :brows:
next car will likely be something warm and generic. Mazda CX5? Some kind of subaru thing? I like the jeep GC but A) FCA and B) dreadful MPG. I'd consider a RAV4 prime but the cost is high and I'd rather go for cheap wheels this time around. Maybe lease a Sorrento?

I'd love a machstange but, after my experience with the year 1 alfa, am cagey about new model year vehicles.