Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is exactly why Europeans roll their eyes at Americans demanding high displacement everything. It’s unnecessary.
Depends, some of these engines they are pushing to max hp/litre with turbocharging are really pushing all of the materials involved, cost cutting is also inherent to auto manufacturers, so they use the parts that meet their min requirements. This all adds up to it being unlikely the engine will still be working fine even 5 years from now, developing gasket leaks, fuel pump/rail issues and other issues. These high strung turbos tend to feed on 91 or 93 fuel too.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The Ford 3.5L EcoBoooooooost on my Expedition blew/burnt holes in my 3" flex pipe where the exhaust meets from the 2 turbos around 75k. It also runs so hot it blew the left exhaust manifold at 65k. I'm not a huge fan of turbos for towing unless it is on a diesel which run considerably cooler.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Depends, some of these engines they are pushing to max hp/litre with turbocharging are really pushing all of the materials involved, cost cutting is also inherent to auto manufacturers, so they use the parts that meet their min requirements. This all adds up to it being unlikely the engine will still be working fine even 5 years from now, developing gasket leaks, fuel pump/rail issues and other issues. These high strung turbos tend to feed on 91 or 93 fuel too.
There are 1,000,001 articles about American vs. Euro reliability where you can find any opinion you like, but I will say Europe isn’t full of 5 yr old broken cars.

Perhaps more interestingly, 91 is ‘regular’ in Europe (and NZ), (even 95 some places). 98 is high. My old golf preferred 98.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are 1,000,001 articles about American vs. Euro reliability where you can find any opinion you like, but I will say Europe isn’t full of 5 yr old broken cars.

Perhaps more interestingly, 91 is ‘regular’ in Europe (and NZ), (even 95 some places). 98 is high. My old golf preferred 98.
98 Yurp is not 98 US. That would make it 91 that your Golf was getting in Yurp. Yes, the turbo cars and high compression cars like higher octane.

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States
Also, high strung/small displacement turbo cars are relatively new in the big scheme. BMW using plastic charge pipes is wholly inappropriate, many of these have blown off and had to be replaced. Fuel rails and HPFP tend to be as well. Look up the BMW N20 timing chains and just start from there. Heck, there's the nature of DI in the first place and it gunking up the manifold. Port injection is a way around this, but everyone has bandwagoned on the easier and cheaper DI for a long time. Some get it worse than others, but this slowly gunks it all up.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
98 Yurp is not 98 US. That would make it 91 that your Golf was getting in Yurp. Yes, the turbo cars and high compression cars like higher octane.

Also, high strung/small displacement turbo cars are relatively new in the big scheme. BMW using plastic charge pipes is wholly inappropriate, many of these have blown off and had to be replaced. Fuel rails and HPFP tend to be as well. Look up the BMW N20 timing chains and just start from there. Heck, there's the nature of DI in the first place and it gunking up the manifold. Port injection is a way around this, but everyone has bandwagoned on the easier and cheaper DI for a long time. Some get it worse than others, but this slowly gunks it all up.
DI isn't cheaper than port, it is lets manufacturers make leaner burning more efficient engines. It is cheaper than port + DI which is the best of both worlds.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DI isn't cheaper than port, it is lets manufacturers make leaner burning more efficient engines. It is cheaper than port + DI which is the best of both worlds.
But clogs the intake manifold over time. My kia 2.5 has both port and DI…but…more expensive

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Manifold isn't the problem, it is the dirty intake valves that cause the problem.
Most refer to the passageway that leads to the valves as part as the intake manifold, usually the few inches around the valves, including the valves.

But yeah, not to be mistaken with the giant air intake/etc.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

The auto electrician we use for work has a yard full of abandoned European cars because the owners can't afford to fix them, he says you buy Japanese or Korean cars if you want decent electrics and I believe him*.
My Boss's daughter looks like she's about to get another DSG box for her Golf for its fifth birthday.

*Excluding Daewoo, FTS!

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The auto electrician we use for work has a yard full of abandoned European cars because the owners can't afford to fix them, he says you buy Japanese or Korean cars if you want decent electrics and I believe him*.
My Boss's daughter looks like she's about to get another DSG box for her Golf for its fifth birthday.

*Excluding Daewoo, FTS!
That reminds me of the couple-thousand dollar job to replace the air vent actuators in my mercedes...whole dash had to come out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
sigh......

Choose the 10-speed auto ‘box and the new Mustang comes with a ‘Remote Rev’ function, which lets you start the engine and blip the throttle from the key fob. For when you really want to annoy your neighbourhood early doors, perhaps.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Burning fossil fuels causes ALL the problems, dudes.
While your are right, sadly electric cars are not the answer either.
VW released a range calculator and the Buzz gets an ideal range of 419 km if you drive above 20 °C in the city only. If you drive it at 0 °C on the Autobahn the range drops to 230 km!!!! WTF???
Why even bother releasing a camper version of this? There are not many places I plan on visiting where I would need a camper van that have a charging station nearby. Sure, every urban trend whore that wants to look outdoorsy will buy it. But WTF???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Windshield washer pump shit the bed. Unter warranty but the part is less than $20 and accessed through the wheel well so I decided it would be easier to fix myself than a trip to the dealership. Hardest part of the process is figuring out how to disconnect the VW weather pack connectors.

PXL_20220915_180525747.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
VW released a range calculator and the Buzz gets an ideal range of 419 km if you drive above 20 °C in the city only. If you drive it at 0 °C on the Autobahn the range drops to 230 km!!!! WTF???
Why even bother releasing a camper version of this? There are not many places I plan on visiting where I would need a camper van that have a charging station nearby. Sure, every urban trend whore that wants to look outdoorsy will buy it. But WTF???
Idk, lots of people drive teslas here in AK. Just because its cold out doesnt mean your car is cold soaked to that temp, but on the other hand, cold soak does happen relatively fast when its -10F (rare tho in the city).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Idk, lots of people drive teslas here in AK. Just because its cold out doesnt mean your car is cold soaked to that temp, but on the other hand, cold soak does happen relatively fast when its -10F (rare tho in the city).
It is data from VW's official range simulator: https://www.volkswagen.de/de/elektrofahrzeuge/laden-und-reichweite/reichweitensimulator.html

As we know, these numbers are 100% true, VW would never lie to consumers about anything. ;)
So that makes it even more scary.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Before the whole connector falls apart. I hate the electrical isht in our Beetle.
Not much different than any other car, their connectors just lock a bit differently and it isn't intuitive on how to disconnect them, therefore easily hamfisted and broken.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Burning fossil fuels causes ALL the problems, dudes.
On that note:

Oh noes, won't someone think of the Manhattan parking lot owners ;)

ETA:
Tony Zhang pulled his Porsche 911 into a West 59th Street parking garage where drivers of luxury automobiles pay $606 a month — plus an 18.3% tax — to stash their vehicles.

But with potential new tolls on the horizon, the trip across the Hudson River and into Manhattan could cause Zhang to back out of that garage once and for all.

The 34-year-old New Jersey man told THE CITY that with congestion pricing looming, he is less likely to drive into the city and park his sports coupe in a garage under 1 Columbus Place.

The high-rise apartment building sits exactly one block inside the so-called congestion zone that runs from 60th Street to the southern tip of Manhattan.

“I’ll probably just take the bus, to be honest, because I’m coming across from Jersey,” Zhang said. “That’s probably the cheapest, also the fastest, because this morning the drive was terrible.”

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On that note:

ETA:
Tony Zhang pulled his Porsche 911 into a West 59th Street parking garage where drivers of luxury automobiles pay $606 a month — plus an 18.3% tax — to stash their vehicles.

But with potential new tolls on the horizon, the trip across the Hudson River and into Manhattan could cause Zhang to back out of that garage once and for all.

The 34-year-old New Jersey man told THE CITY that with congestion pricing looming, he is less likely to drive into the city and park his sports coupe in a garage under 1 Columbus Place.

The high-rise apartment building sits exactly one block inside the so-called congestion zone that runs from 60th Street to the southern tip of Manhattan.

“I’ll probably just take the bus, to be honest, because I’m coming across from Jersey,” Zhang said. “That’s probably the cheapest, also the fastest, because this morning the drive was terrible.”
200w.gif

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
On that note:

ETA:

I can just tell Tony is going to love queuing on a bus to get through the Lincoln Tunnel and then the delights which await at Port Authority Bus Terminal.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This guy should be in the next Fast and Furious, he looks so funny with his sweet cum catcher on the top lip and a pen in his pocket, hahaha!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe I'm just silly, but to me this is a good deal. The 4s isn't outrageous but still plenty fun with a manual and crazy low miles it's basically new.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick or @Toshi

If you can't drive stick I'll look after it for you while you learn in a beater.

I grew up driving manual VWs, I'd manage.
That is hawt. I've wanted a 993 since then.
You should buy it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
1) Get a train if you want to go far, then hire an EV. Or just have a little tiny bit of patience. Normal people will want to stop, eat and piss when their EV runs low.
2) Harm caused by EVs: •••
Harm caused by fossil fuels: •••••••••••••••••

Do less harm. Perfect is the enemy of good.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
1) Get a train if you want to go far, then hire an EV. Or just have a little tiny bit of patience. Normal people will want to stop, eat and piss when their EV runs low.
2) Harm caused by EVs: •••
Harm caused by fossil fuels: •••••••••••••••••

Do less harm. Perfect is the enemy of good.
If you tell me how to take two bikes/person, tools, spares and all protective gear and clothing on a train, I am all ears.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
@Nick or @Toshi

If you can't drive stick I'll look after it for you while you learn in a beater.

How does this car exist? An ultra low mile GT3 I kinda get, turbo, maybe, but a C4? WTF that was never a “rare” Porsche, it was a commuter car for anesthesiologists and penny stock scammers, and came about long, long before people ever thought anything Porsche was a giant brick of gold. Why wasn’t that car driven? At least a little bit, I do more miles on my road bike than that thing has, and I’m a husky dude who doesn’t do much road biking.

I shoulda bought a cheap 993 when I had the chance. Instead I bought a house because I’m dumb.