Quantcast

the best dh pedal ever?

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
I've got those pedals on both my trail and DH bike for over a year now love them. Holding up great with no issues. Besides the price and performance I like how you can get any of the parts as a individual replacements easily if needed (i haven't) which can be a pain with some other brands.

Al

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
me too. I've had mine (ht plastics) for two seasons and aside from an end cap falling off, I've had no drama. They're lighter than anything under $100 and provide great traction...and you can buy three pairs for the price of a single twenty6/point1/e13HIV

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Yes, I'm quoting myself.

This still remains true. The 647's are OK, but the cages still break pretty easily.
hell yes. why they don't make a saint quality clipless dh pedal is beyond me. wtf, shimano?

while i'm at the shimano ranting, get off your collective asses and build a full range cassette single ring drivetrain so you don't lose all your high end 'enduro' spec to sram. geez.

i love shimano, but they can be a slow lumbering behemoth at times.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not me. I've heard people complain about them not feeling concave, and about the caps falling off and getting loose,but that's mostly it. I think udi may have not liked them.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I posted last year about the plastic Fyxation Mesa MP pedals, which are the same as the Deitys I think.

Once that endcap gets torn out, the pedals develop 10 mm of horizontal slop. I took them off my AM bike, glued in the endcaps one more time, and relegated them to the bike I ride to bars.

Junk design. Could've been much better if that endcap had been recessed, but for some reason the bike industry gets stupid when designing pedals.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
my old pair circa 2001 have gone missing..ive been searching high and low with no luck..pretty bummed
Yep. I'm still running mine from '96 on my play bike. I wish they'd made the Saint pedals just as strong :-(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i had several sets of the 636,s and all had bent spindles LOL
Given how easy my crank brother's spindles broke and how I've bashed the hell out of so many shimano pedals, there are basically no pedals that will ever work for you. I suggest just taking your cranks off and having some kind of foot-perches CNCed that would fit into your BB.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not me. I've heard people complain about them not feeling concave, and about the caps falling off and getting loose,but that's mostly it. I think udi may have not liked them.
Nah haven't spent much time on those, so no complaints here!

I just don't approve of the axle/bushing setup in the ultrathin HT pedals, but the 'normal' thickness ones like the designs that nukeproof rebadge (including the plastic ones) all seem to have reliable systems.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I posted last year about the plastic Fyxation Mesa MP pedals, which are the same as the Deitys I think.

Once that endcap gets torn out, the pedals develop 10 mm of horizontal slop. I took them off my AM bike, glued in the endcaps one more time, and relegated them to the bike I ride to bars.

Junk design. Could've been much better if that endcap had been recessed, but for some reason the bike industry gets stupid when designing pedals.
See that's so weird to me. I've had my underhanded ht's for two years now, for a race season on my Sunday, a few lifts on the zumbi, and a bunch of time this season, and my cap fell off on day one. The pedals never developed more than a mm of play, which is undetectable while riding. Could they be different models or something?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
My Deity's lost their end caps on the first ride, but haven't developed any significant play. They weren't concave, or big enough for what I like in a flat for DH, so they're on my DJ bike where I love them.

My favorite flats for DH are still the big fat concave e.13's, but I've recently made a permanent switch to clipless.

My Shimano 647s have been beaten to hell for probably 10 years on my trail bike, and off and on on my DH. Still going strong, plastic cages and all.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Could they be different models or something?
must be. the fyxation branded version has a sleeve that is held in place by the endcap; when the endcap comes out and the sleeve rattles out, the pedals have about a 1 cm horizontal slop (but don't come off the spindle).

the size of the platform and the general grip was OK, w/ 5.10s anyway, but had less grip than my 26's, point1's, wahwahs, spikes, HT 06's, HT AE03's... I noticed a little flex w/ the nylon composite but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
Given how easy my crank brother's spindles broke and how I've bashed the hell out of so many shimano pedals, there are basically no pedals that will ever work for you. I suggest just taking your cranks off and having some kind of foot-perches CNCed that would fit into your BB.

funny my Kona WAH WAH,s hold up fine , the 636,s not so much even the guy i traveled and trained with had similar experinces between the two of us we had 6prs and i bet only 1pr was straight the rest where slightly bent or completely trashed and where kept as cores

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
vintage easton cullys, since '05!
repacked it occasionally when it gets sloppy, and it's good to go.

back up pair still in the box..

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
See that's so weird to me. I've had my underhanded ht's for two years now, for a race season on my Sunday, a few lifts on the zumbi, and a bunch of time this season, and my cap fell off on day one. The pedals never developed more than a mm of play, which is undetectable while riding. Could they be different models or something?
Since your Zumbi is aligned, everything fits and is well made we should assume you are extremely lucky before your every review but yeah, wah wahs get some play and that's it probably the same on the newer ht's. The pins are hurt less then my twenty6 and tbh I see little reason to go for the twenty6 over the wah wahs. Didn't notice any difference outside of the small (70g) weight difference

Last edited:

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I am very much biassed but I think the best pedal ever is the Straitline De Facto. Crazy amount of grip, no maintenance needed, and it is the toughest of all. Rocks and stones for this pedal is like Seas for Mozes. :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am very much biassed but I think the best pedal ever is the Straitline De Facto. Crazy amount of grip, no maintenance needed, and it is the toughest of all. Rocks and stones for this pedal is like Seas for Mozes. :D
I went back and forth through flats and kept coming back to my, still running - 2007, Straitlines. Haven't tried everything, but have tried a bunch, and these just win. Twenty6, Point1, Kona, Blah Blah - no thanks.

But then, I put the Straitlines in my toolbox and now rock the SPD's.

Braap.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I want to get new flat pedals for my DH bike and rather than start a new thread, figured I'd keep this one going.

What's the best option out there for 2014? I'm currently rocking some older Tioga MX Pro pedals, and while generally happy with the platform size and grip, looking for something thinner and lighter. I wear size 12 Impacts, and prefer a larger platform size to a smaller one. I don't really want to spend over $150, that is already a lot of money for pedals, but I appreciate fancy machined parts too. A solid well designed axle system is important, a pedal shouldn't require frequent servicing.

Some pedals I am considering:

Spank Spike seem to be very popular, leaning towards these the most right now.
Hope F20
RaceFace Atlas
Canfield Crampon Ultimate - not sold on the shape, looks convex instead of concave?
Shimano Saint MX80 - cheaper than others, but also heavier and slightly thicker
Straitline Defacto - also heavy and on the thicker side
Point1 Podium 2 - look nice and seem to be an improvement over old, but not many reviews yet, and more expensive that I want to spend.

Anyone have any new thoughts or experience with any of these pedals?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The Spanks are pretty hard to go past, I've found the bearing/bushing system better than the alternatives and they have a huge platform that has no convex areas.

There's another Spank option on the cards now called the Oozy which is a bit lighter in the same platform size (if you are looking for the lightest option), and since both the Spike and Oozy bodies are cold-forged I suspect even the lightened body is still very strong.

I've also been running the proto Ti axles for a while now and they've held up surprisingly well, I believe they're available for purchase now if you wanted to lighten either pedal later on. Not necessary though obviously.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have had Spank Spikes on both my trail and dh bike for the last 2 years.
No plans on changing them

Edit - Udi - any weight limit on the ti axles? I'm a dainty 210 outta da shower.

Thanks - michael

Last edited:

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i have the HT AE01's on my truax/totem, and the AE03's on my Bronson.

The AE03's have a better design, since all the pins have allen heads on the opposite side of the pedal. The 01s have the outer pins that don't have a flanged allen head, and therefore they get knocked out of the pedal completely if you hit a rock hard (rather than just loosening up a bit, like the pins on the AE03 or my Spikes).

Unfortunately all these HT AE pedals have a bushing system that wears out pretty quickly. I've been meaning to get some more bushings so I can rebuild mine.

It's unfortunate that the bike industry still can't figure out how to make a strong, durable, lightish, thin profile pedal with good grip that is under $150.
$145, right now. ive seen them for $135 too

355 grams, sealed cartridge bearings (no bushings), 12-14mm thick

rebuild vid below

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Face-Atlas-Bike-Pedal/dp/B00FXY19X0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407373158&sr=8-1&keywords=raceface+atlas+pedals

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to go with the Spank Spikes because of all the positive feedback and reasonable price ($125). The RaceFace Atlas and Hope F20 also were top choices, but the RaceFace at $150 is a bit pricey for what is also I believe a Taiwan made pedal. The Hope while on sale for $140 is a decent price, some of the reviews found it to have a bit less grip than other pedals.