Quantcast

The Bakery: Don't Be a Dick, Talk to the Bun Guy.

BikeMag

Chimp
Mar 23, 2012
I've chatted with strangers on climbs and met lifelong friends at the dirt jumps.... I can't see much excuse to ignore fellow riders. Simple trail etiquette, like yelling out "there are three more", "on your left", or "have a good ride" is all that's needed to connect with people, and more importantly, to not be a dick.

The Bakery: Don't Be a Dick, Talk to the Bun Guy.

DeronDilger

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
Amen, Danielle! I don't fault anyone for their desire to go "be their best" and race the world or themselves, but a HUGE part of MTBing for me is the connection to nature....including my fellow man. Additionally, with all the "user-conflict" issues that were on the forefront in my early years of riding in Colorado (and I guess that has been an ever-present issue), being a good "ambassador" for MTBing has always played a role in how I behave when I cross paths with other users out on the trails. Is is really that big of a cramp to your ride to stop, pull off the trail, and give somebody a "Hello" and a smile? If so, maybe you should cut something else out of your life to make room for some friendliness that ultimately may be the difference between bikes being banned on your favorite trail or not.

Now that I am living in Mexico, I'm much more likely to meet a campesino and his burro on the trail than a hiker or equestrian, though. And despite their overwhelming friendliness and willingness to share the trail with me and my bike, I can't help but feel I should take even a little more time to make sure I treat them with respect and don't come across as an ugly gringo out "poaching" their firewood-gathering and goat-herding trails. Sometimes my limited Spanish makes the communication rather limited, and yet, living in Mexico has really taught me that a smile and a genuine interest and amiable attitude can be communicated readily across languages and cultures with just a little effort. I hope that despite the multiple gaps between my world and the natives' (e.g. income, lifestyle, recreation choices, language), I don't come across as a dick, aloof, or anything less than grateful for a chance to be out on the trail and meet a fellow human making their way through this life.

Also, kudos to your moms for their dedication to helping the many suffering animals of Mexico. God knows the demand for this type of charity exceeds the supply here.

Finally, when your back in Mexico, come visit us down Oaxaca way. You can see what we're doing MTB-wise in these parts by visiting http://www.OaxacaMTB.org[/URL/ If you come ride with us, I'll buy you some pan dulce from our bun man. Adios.