Quantcast

the art of 24" wheel building

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what is the typical spoke length on a 24" mtb wheel ? do i need to be concerned about certain hubs having flange heights that make it impossible to find the right spoke length ?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
what is the typical spoke length on a 24" mtb wheel ? do i need to be concerned about certain hubs having flange heights that make it impossible to find the right spoke length ?
Kinda. You might have to go 1 mm up or down or choose a different spoke or color. I think 238s are what Ive used in the past... but dont hold me to that, just a number that comes up. Youll want to use a spoke length calculator of course.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
There is NO standard spoke leangh , 24" can vary from as low as 230mm-'s up to the low 250mm , I think the last set I hand built were 246mm on high flage hubs with ryno lights .

Usa a online spoke calculator , dont guess!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Use a calculator. Spoke length is determined based on a number of factors including:

Hub flange diameter
Hub center to flange
Number of spokes
Spoke crossing
Rim hole offset

You can get lucky and guess or just spend 5 minutes to find out the correct lengths.

I usually use the calculator at DTSwiss.com

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
what do yall think of the Atom Lab General Issue 20mm thru axle front hub?

http://www.ride-this.com/Atom-Lab-General-Issue-Front-hub-20240003.html

i plan on using a Marzocchi D-Street axle. any issues there ?
I ran one last season. Solid hub, no worries. But seriously, a front hub isn't much but just a shell with flanges that holds some bearings. Not much too it, not much that can go wrong typically. Basically just the more you pay, the more weight you shave off (or the more brand name you go with...). I'm currently running a super cheap Dimension with the disc bolt tabs ground off and it's solid too, but I will be swapping out to a custom Marmoset soon.
Also, if you can source one, check out the Leaf Cycles front 20mm front hub, with no disc mounts. Looks very clean and solid, and should build a dishless stronger wheel with better triangulation and same length spokes/no offset. (or look for an old Ringle Boxxer hub, or Profile Non-disc 20 if you can afford it, or Last non-disc if you can find one...).

also, why the D-street axle? pegs?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
before i buy a new one online, does anyone happen to have an extra front 24" wheel with 20mm thru-axle hub ?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Tried to buy Atomlab 24" front wheel with 20mm thru-axle. Nobody seems to be able to get one.

.... does anybody have an extra one out there ?