Quantcast

The 2005 Turner Highline

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love my vp-free but regardless of the granny ring and vpp linkage, it still sucks for climbing. It kills me how the first thing most people ask me about it is "How does it climb?" Well, it climbs great...for a 41 pound, 8x8 bike with a 65 degree head angle. That is to say, it's pretty much torture. Contrary to the hype, a front derailleur does not magically turn a gravity machine into a mountain goat.

Lots of companies sold bikes like these in the last couple of years and now everyone is talking about "less is more, yadda yadda..."

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
OGRipper said:
I love my vp-free but regardless of the granny ring and vpp linkage, it still sucks for climbing. It kills me how the first thing most people ask me about it is "How does it climb?" Well, it climbs great...for a 41 pound, 8x8 bike with a 65 degree head angle. That is to say, it's pretty much torture. Contrary to the hype, a front derailleur does not magically turn a gravity machine into a mountain goat.

Lots of companies sold bikes like these in the last couple of years and now everyone is talking about "less is more, yadda yadda..."
Thanks for saying that. It bothers me when people say otherwise.

I don't know how many times I've heard: "Even though my Banshee weighs 54lbs., it pedals/climbs like it's 15lbs. lighter."

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Hmmm... My 8" singlepivot DHR with Romic pedals better than my 4" 4-bar Norco 4x4 with a Fox. I've definitely got no complaints with the way the DHR pedals.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Incubus said:
I don't know how many times I've heard: "Even though my Banshee weighs 54lbs., it pedals/climbs like it's 15lbs. lighter."
So true..."My bike's got a (set of) Monster-T's, 3.0 Gazz on doublewide rims and 4130 everything but it pedals so well I don't even notice the weight..." :rolleyes:

That kind of crap is usually some marketing BS from companies...but they've been so successful at it that now even the customers are inventing the same kind of BS. :confused:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
toodles said:
Hmmm... My 8" singlepivot DHR with Romic pedals better than my 4" 4-bar Norco 4x4 with a Fox. I've definitely got no complaints with the way the DHR pedals.
Sounds like you need a stiffer spring on your 4x4 or you need a lighter spring on your DHR :p

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
syadasti said:
Sounds like you need a stiffer spring on your 4x4 or you need a lighter spring on your DHR :p
I think they're both a bit undersprung. But seriously, if the Turner was closer to the Norco's weight I'd use it for everything. It does pedal easier (less bob) but it's just too heavy to haul up hills.