Quantcast

tell me how F'd I am

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
So i go to school in harrisonburg, and live in vienna. Thus I travel on 81/66 all the time. I just got a reckless ticked for going 91 mph. As im sure you all know the speed limit is 65 on those roads. So tell me, just how F'ed am I? Any experience from court that could help me when that time comes? What are the chances they take my license?

I need a hug. Looks like my days of having fun when i drive are over.

(note: in virginia 20mph above the speed limit = reckless, above 80= reckless. I wish i had read up on that last night, but its kinda obvious...)

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
You're F'ed in the A man...F'ed in the A. haha..I really have no idea, but are you coming up to Snowshoe this year? I'll be up there for most of July if I can get a job secured up there.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
HRDTLBRO said:
You're F'ed in the A man...F'ed in the A. haha..I really have no idea, but are you coming up to Snowshoe this year? I'll be up there for most of July if I can get a job secured up there.

I supose that really depends on if i have a car, or more importantly, a license doesnt it? However I do/did plan on being there alot.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
your insurance will go up i know that. and youll get points on ur license probably.

Hrdtlbro hope to see u there i got a job in the shop so im moving out there beginning of june.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
points? yes. lotsa money/insurance? yes.

I can handle those, but am i gonna lose my license? Cuz ive been working all year waiting for summer, and summer without a car is no summer at all.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
welcome to the club bro, i got my reckless 5 years ago... the big question here is what county did you get nailed in? ffx is the worst of the worst. it's very doubtful that you will lose your license. is this your first offense?

i got 88 in a 55, put on my suit & tie and went to court with a copy of my pristine driving record. I asked to have my sentence reduced. the judge basically laughed at me & gave me a $200 fine + court costs ($35). i never really saw a spike in my insurance, dunno if i'm just lucky or what.

last year i got gunned on the streetbike doing 61 in a 40 on burke center parkway. the first of my luck hit when the cop only ticketed me for 20+ over, he didn't give me reckless. i kept pushing back the court dates and when i tried to pay the fine over the phone, i was told that the officer dropped the charge. guess he needed to go fishing that day instead or something.

ffx county is very, very serious about its speed limits. that cop could have very easily put you in jail for the night when he pulled you over. many people suggest that you hire a lawyer. they can usually get the charge knocked down below reckless and keep it off of your insurance. for me, i'd rather take the extra $$ paid out over time to the insurance company than have to drop $500 or more at once in lawyer fees.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
unless you've gotten several other tickets you'll be fine. if im not mistaken you can NOT prepay a reckless...actually now that i think about it it should tell you right on the ticket that you can't prepay and that you have to appear.

if you DONT have any other tickets, get a copy of your record from DMV
grovel before the judge and ask for a probationary period. if you stay clean during that period x amount of time, most likely a year, and it will be wiped from your record. the last time i was in court i saw that very thing happen to the persoon in front of me

good luck and let us know how it works out...

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
I have goten a 65 in a 55 driving mobius' mom's explorer back from snowshoe when i was 19 ( I SWAER i was going 60, pure B/S). So when i go to court i should bring a copy of my DMV record and ask for probation? I dont feel like I can ask for anything over the top because it was rather cut and dry. I was on a strait away all by myself and felt like going a little faster...

PS I got this ticket in warren county.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Insurance companies only audit a percentage of their policies, I don't know what the law is in your state concerning " reckless " is, but if you don't tell your insurance co about your fine or suspension the chances of them finding out are slim. as long as you keep it to your self you should be ok.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Go to driving school BEFORE the court orders you to. Then it counts as positive points on your record, and will count for your ticket. I had a friend do this awhile ago. I wish he had told me about it before I got screwed......... stupid -10 points!

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
when i was 16 (or 17?), i got clocked going 83mph in a 55mph zone on 95. i think it was PWC though and i went into court and asked the judge if i could take a safe driving class. 8 hours in a BS classroom on a saturday and then returned to court and got the ticket dropped. it was my 2nd offense but the 1st one was going 89mph in a 55mph in delaware right after i got my license (16) and i don't think it ever showed up on my record.

incidentally, i got about 5-6 speeding tickets between 16-20 and never saw a rise in insurance... i guess i'm lucky.

i would talk to a lawyer to help you out. the guys that roll into court with lawyers always seem to have better luck. i doubt you will lose you license over your first offense. if your REALLY lucky like corey, the officer will be out fishing that day too and everyone who got ticketed by him will have their charges thrown out...

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I got a ticket near charlottesville going 86 in a 65 when I was 16. The judge lowered it to 84 so I wouldnt get a reckless driving charge, but I still got my license suspended for 60 days. 3 points on the record, and a court fee of about 150 bucks. It was horrible. First offense even. Good luck bro. :thumb:

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I know you get 4 points for a RD ticket, because I got one about a year ago. I live in H'Burg, so I had to go to Rockingham County court for the ticket, my lawyer told me that the judge we wanted to handle the case (Judge Paul) was not going to be there the day I was scheduled to go to court, so he postponed the date to when Judge Paul was going to be there. Judge Paul is very forgiving for stupid young people mistakes. If you got it in Warren County, then I would say you are f'ed, because they don't play in Warren county.
Thank God you were not going 100mph; they take your license on the spot, and take you to jail! That's what they did to my cousin anyway.

Good Luck! :D

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I got a reckless driving ticket (88/65) in Shenadoah County coming back from 7 Springs National one year. I asked the cop if I could pay it out of court and he told me no, but that I could just not show up for court and they will charge me with whatever and then they will bill me. Being young and dumb I took my chances and didn't go to court, but neither did the trooper. So they didn't charged me with reckless driving and just charged me with the speeding ticket. Boy I was lucky. My advice to you is "don't be as dumb as me and take your chances" but see about getting into a driving class and continue to ask around to see if there is anything else you can do before your court date. But in all honesty I think you will be ok by just having to pay a good size fine. Good Luck!!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BUCKET said:
Thank God you were not going 100mph; they take your license on the spot, and take you to jail! That's what they did to my cousin anyway.
Its not 100, its anything over 90, OR doubling the speed limit. If you are doing either of those, its the officers discretion to take you to jail or not.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BigMike said:
Its not 100, its anything over 90, OR doubling the speed limit. If you are doing either of those, its the officers discretion to take you to jail or not.
Good to know.... When my cousin was stopped for doing 102mph, the police pulled him from the car and beat the sh!te out of him, but I'm sure he deserved it, he's usually a dick to cops even if he is in the wrong. They told him that he was going to jail because anything 100 and over required a night in jail.

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
I went the lawyer route and got the charge knocked down to improper driving and a small fine. It was pricey, but definitely not worth having a large number of points for the next 11 years. It will go fine either way, but the issue is really what will happen to you if it happens again. With a previous reckless and 6+ points on your license, you will be completely screwed if something happens again. You can take the safe driving course online now and I'd do that in addition to getting your speedometer calibrated.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Jayridesacove said:
just don't speed.

whaaaat? where is the fun in that?

I hear that the driving class knocks 5 points off your record (if i took it id enter the court room with a positive record), and I know people that have doen very well in court because they took the class prior to court. Whats the concensous on this? Does everyone feel its the best route to get a lawyer AND go to the defensive driving class prior to court? Will not having a lawyer really hurt my chances of escaping my fate?

Where can I take the class online? Ive gone to it once before for a minor ticket when i was under 20 and 8 hours learning what is common knowledge to me is pretty painful, id rather not do that again.

AV

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
When I lived in Richmond and was in the same situation at the beginning of court the Judge asked if anyone wanted to go to driving school and to come up to the bench. Then they asked your name and looked at the paperwork the judge had in front of him. I was allowed to go to driving school, the charges were dropped, and I actually got a decrease in my insurance because of the driving school. Check with the court here and see if they will let you go that route. Altogether paying for driving school and court costs was less than the ticket, along with the 10% decrease I got off my insurance.Maybe it would work in that court as well.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Good stuff. What really makes me nervous is that all these stories and ways to dodge the full charges is merely luck or something out of your control. Is there a rule somewhere that says that such an option is always available? I dont like the idea of my fate being in one persons hands.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I got reckless in MD, something a little more difficult to do. I also got negligent driving and violation of provisional licsense, all in one shebang. I was going 110 in a 55 on a rural highway at 2:45am. Not drunk or anything, I just fancy myself a rally car driver and once youve gone 120 in a go kart 110 in a car is like a crawl... Anyway I really lucked out because maryland has a rule where you can only get points form one ticket per stop, so I got 5 instead of 12. Still cost me 1400 dollars, roughly one dura-ace equipped road bike, and my parents didnt let me drive for 6 months. Fortunately the slate finally gets wiped clean in 8 more months, and the insurance will come down.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Mattoid said:
hey I turn 21 in 6 months... does that mean this comes off my record when im 21?
Hell NO!!!!!!!! Your the DMV's, and the insurance company's B!TCH for the next couple of years... :nuts: