Quantcast

Tell me about stationary bikes

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I'm curious about getting one but I know nothing about them. I'm thinking the time I waste slouching in front of my laptop could be better spent spinning (with the laptop in front of me:D ).

What makes a good stationary bike, good?

About how much does a decent one cost?

I live in an apartment building so I'm worried about the noise. Valid concern?

If I got one would I actually use it? 99% of he stationary bikes I see are dusty, rusted and shoved into a corner.

Would getting an XC bike be a better investment?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
xc bike and rollers could be a better investment. That way you have a new bike, plus a stationary bike all in one

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Seconded on rollers.

There's a video somewhere of a MotoGP racer training on rollers and playing Call of Duty. Pretend I linked it here, because I can't find it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Rollers would be best, but you could also do the "stand" style units. They grab onto your bike's QR skewers and provide pedaling resistance via a fan or magnet. The only difference from rollers is that you don't have to balance at all when you use them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The XC bike idea does sound more practical.

But, if you're thinking about indoor cycling, a GOOD stationary bike feels better to me... Out of the saddle, any regular bike in a trainer feels weak and wobbly by comparison. Best stationary I ever felt was the Giant Tempo. Of course, they discontinued it...

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Have you considered getting an elliptical trainer? I have one that has a 170mm effective crank length thereby nearly copying the 165mm cranks on my DH bike...plus you are standing all the time which again mirrors riding a DH...and you get the upper body work-out similar to XC skiing.

Aug 4, 2008
Forget rollers and trainers, etc.

You Will Not Use It (TM). Only people who have ever bought them and used them are insane XC racers and roadies (I meant the weirdest specimens of the bunch). Everybody half sane gets bored and never uses them - at all. Trainer can be useful for warmup before race (if you race tho).

I would recommend that you take the money, go to the local gym and buy yourself some Spinning - if possible.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

You Will Not Use It (TM). Only people who have ever bought them and used them are insane XC racers and roadies (I meant the weirdest specimens of the bunch). Everybody half sane gets bored and never uses them - at all. Trainer can be useful for warmup before race (if you race tho).

I would recommend that you take the money, go to the local gym and buy yourself some Spinning - if possible.
Maybe for you. I had one the whole time I was racing DH and would just sit in my living room and hammer for an hour or two during the winter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

That's a good question.

I got a coach last year and I actually looked forward to my training sessions. Especially considering the alternative, which was a night ride in the pouring rain.

I would actually enjoy watching tv and surfing the web while I spun away. But I also knew that come the summer, I wouldn't ride indoors for another 6 months.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
You Will Not Use It (TM). Does this mean most people go for it when there is absolutely no other way to get a sweat indoors? I have a friend who said she has a trainer in her US home and spun all the time, but come to think of it she was of the extreme XC type, too.

I live in the tropics so I can ride outside all year round. I was just looking at trainers to make the most of time that I spend indoors anyway, working, at night, etc.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you just want to put on spinning mileage while you are at home, get a trainer (stand, not the rollers). Because the bike is held up, you can spin while reading or doing something else. I set up a little book rack for my handlebars so that I could read while I was spinning. I still got in 1-2hrs of good pedaling (70% heart rate) and read a book.