Quantcast

team e13 on yakuzas instead of sundays????

cbrbighit

Chimp
May 10, 2007
Does anyone know why E13 race team used the yakuzas instead of the sundays for the race season what was it last year or 2 years ago???

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Dude , what are you trying to prove? You've started a thread on MTBR as well, the yakuza is NOT a race bike.Doesnt mean its a bad bike but definitely not as fast as the Sunday and no Sam Hill couldn't have NOT win on one of those without doing some major modifications to the bike.

Even if a rider is off the chart, the bike still has a good part to play to make someone win races.Im not saying the Yakuza is not a fun bike though, Im sure you could still be pretty fast with the right suspension set up.

Last edited:

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I think i remember piper maybe saying they had great geometry (pretty much the same as the sunday) and the suspension worked decent, and maybe lighter?? Could have been a $$ thing too i guess.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Whatever, sam hill wins world cups on your mom, and I race my Yakuza and don't win. so you're both wrong when you think about it.
HAvent your mom thought you the meaning of the word "polite"?You should be a bit more careful choosing you words when posting stuff on here...I didnt say nothnig about YOUR mom, sorry If I offended you when I said your bike was a piece of ****...

Now personally I dont even think Sam could win on a 1st generation Yakuza,his bike was far from a stock yakuza...maybe one or 2 odd races but certainly not world cup overall...

Whatever ,its all irrelevant to this thread anyway since Minnaar proved to be a better rider than Hill this year...:brows:

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Heikki and I decided to give them a try because of a combination of all the aforementioned reasons. With the shorter shock we used to give the geometry we had it was a pretty capable race bike. Was it as good as the Sunday? No. Was it a bad DH bike? No.
I had actually brought up the idea as I was confident in it and thought it was a good opportunity. As Weagle has mentioned before, if that bike had a different sticker on it without its big brother lurking over it people would have probably paid much more attention to it.

JR. GANGSTA

Chimp
Sep 18, 2008
Durango, Co
you can get them a lot lighter than a sunday, my friend had one that he got down to 36 lbs, compared to my sunday, that has a nicer build, and weighs 39 lbs. So some people might argue that it is a good race bike, even though the sunday rides better, and thats what really matters.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Piper that bike looks awesome.

Tuumbaq - you're an idiot, building a fast racebike isn't some black art. Low + slack + light and reasonable numbers everywhere else will make for an easy winner. There's no reason someone with half a bucket of skill couldn't win on the bike above.

JR GANGSTA - the new sunday (07 onwards) is approximately 1lb lighter than the previous ones, so it's lighter than the yakuza as far as I know.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Piper that bike looks awesome.

Tuumbaq - you're an idiot, building a fast racebike isn't some black art. Low + slack + light and reasonable numbers everywhere else will make for an easy winner. There's no reason someone with half a bucket of skill couldn't win on the bike above.
Wow do you tell everyone that have a different opinion than you they're idiots? You must have a lot of friends!

Oh and I'd love to see Sam Hill win world cup races on a "off the shelf yakuza" I sure he would win everything...Perhaps you should LEARN HOW TO READ before bashing on someone ,I never said it was hard to build a race bike?...oh Im sorry they must haven't thought you that yet in kindergarden.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow do you tell everyone that have a different opinion than you they're idiots? You must have a lot of friends!

Oh and I'd love to see Sam Hill win world cup races on a "off the shelf yakuza" I sure he would win everything...Perhaps you should LEARN HOW TO READ before bashing on someone ,I never said it was hard to build a race bike?...oh Im sorry they've must have not thought you that yet in kindergarden.
The point he was trying to make (in a less than tactful manner) is that bikes don't win races, riders do. You can have the most decked out bike in the world, but if you're not a good rider, then you're not gonna win. If you're a great rider and are in great shape, then the bike is less of a factor. Hill would still be a competitive WC racer on a Yakuza. They're very capable bikes. FWIW Hill used to race WC's on IH SGS's (old FSR linkage).

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
OMG WTF LOL!!! This thread is the best evar.

Funny how that bike looks a lot like a DHR...suddently it all makes sense.
*BOOOOOOOOM*

That was the sound of my head exploding when I compared the yakuza and the dhr. OMGROTFL IDK how I am even still able to type after that! :bonk::banana::happydance::bonk:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Oh and I'd love to see Sam Hill win world cup races on a "off the shelf yakuza" I sure he would win everything...Perhaps you should LEARN HOW TO READ before bashing on someone ,I never said it was hard to build a race bike?...oh Im sorry they must haven't thought you that yet in kindergarden.
He read just fine, your first post here was rather harsh, and pretty much demeaning to someone else. Who caers if someone is trying to prove something. And why isnt the Yakuza a race bike? Actually its your opinion that is differing from others, your the one saying the Yakuza isnt raceworthy, not others.

I think maybe you should get to know the community here a bit better before you generalize and play the hate card.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA

My head hurts.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB

please stop typing.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Given the limitations inherent in the single pivot (brake jack, poor square edge performance, mushy pedaling) I think my Kumicho is a pretty fast bike.

Would I rather be on a Demo or a Sunday? Ya sure, but it's nice to have 2 grand in my pocket also. It means I can get to more races, keep my rubber fresh, and replace parts when I need to.

Racing is expensive enough without $3000 frames. This season saw hub bearings and a new pivot, new 3c minions, e13 integrated stem for the boxxer, shorter Roco in back, a road cassette, new chain, pedals, fork seals and ODI lock ons.

Over the winter, she'll get a new shifter derailleur chain cassette and hanger, cables, du bushings, a shock oil change and maybe brakes if I'm feeling rich.

coopdog

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Even though this thread has turned to trash I'm looking to get some serious feedback on the Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho that RS Cycle has for $1400 bucks. It looks like a good deal with decent components. I 've done only xc riding but tried downhill this summer and now I'm hooked. The Yakuza looks like a good 1st downhill bike. My big concern is the single pivot design, the design seems to get trashed by a lot of people. I'm not concerned with pedal bob too much - this would be a bike used strictly downhill with lift rides to the top. Thanks!

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Serious answer: I rode an 06 for two years, it was a great dh bike and not just for beginners. Those people who bag on a bike simply because it is a single pivot are ignorant sheep who would believe anything that had buzzwords in it. Some people prefer a single pivot bike to a linkage bike(me). Do you think the old turner DHR was a bad bike because it was a single pivot? What about a cannondale judge or a Morewood Izumu? Get the bike, and go rip some trails and ignore the armchair engineers sitting at the bottom polishing bikes with the latest hype.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Given the limitations inherent in the single pivot (brake jack, poor square edge performance, mushy pedaling) I think my Kumicho is a pretty fast bike.
square edge performance (and pedaling for that matter) is more of a function of pivot height/position and not a single vs. multi pivot. High pivot single pivot bikes like the bb7 have great square edge performance.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Even though this thread has turned to trash I'm looking to get some serious feedback on the Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho that RS Cycle has for $1400 bucks. It looks like a good deal with decent components. I 've done only xc riding but tried downhill this summer and now I'm hooked. The Yakuza looks like a good 1st downhill bike. My big concern is the single pivot design, the design seems to get trashed by a lot of people. I'm not concerned with pedal bob too much - this would be a bike used strictly downhill with lift rides to the top. Thanks!
I agree with bdamschen. I also have an '06, still with stock components. I've ridden it for two years, so probably 15-20 DH trips on it and a few trail rides. It really is a great bike, especially for how cheap you can get it brand new. I also bought it to get more into DH riding coming from an XC and all mountain background. I works very well on a wide variety of terrain, the suspension does a good job on rock gardens and high speed chatter and drops and jumps. The only issue with mine is I think it needs a stiffer rear spring or a better rear shock (has Manitou 4 way coil Swinger), as I have to run a lot of preload to keep it from bottoming on drops with poor landings. I just recently got a Turner Highline, and the Highline is also single pivot but does work better as is to be expected since the frame alone cost more than a complete Kumicho.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I like my Type R a lot. Without a doubt the best deal in DH bikes. Its probably cheaper to buy the bike complete and strip the parts than to buy a build kit for another frame.

My biggest beef is braking performance, and Iron Horse was clearly aware of the issue cause the 05 models came with a floating brake. Turned out they were poorly built and gave people problems so the scrapped the floater on the later bikes.

coopdog

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Thanks for the input. I'll probably order one in the next couple of weeks even though the bike will sit for the winter (I'm in the Northeast) before I get to ride it. Unfortunately most mountains are closing soon and getting ready for snow season. Before long it will be time to get the snowboard out.