Quantcast

tax cuts

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
OK so I clicked on this because I never saw it originally. Did anyone actually answer your original ?

I can certainly explain the theory, but as an opinion goes.... Well everyone is entitled to them
It wasn't as spicy as the current topic I guess. :D

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
RhinofromWA said:
Being involved in the childrens school....helping them with homework....getting them involved with sports (accomidations can be made with other parents if needed) but not just to pay to have someone keep your child busy until you get home. The parent is responsible to make sure that child is not neglected as it is raised.
I am a firm believer that a childs education is as much the parents responsibility as it is the school's.

RhinofromWA said:
Time is more imprtant that $$$ when it comes to kids. Desire to be a part of your childs life seems desperately vacant these days.
I'm with you 110% here!! It's hilarious to see the looks I get when I am asked to work the weekend here and I refuse because I want to spend time with my 8 week old son. The repsonse are "you're not going to get ahead here if you don't work weekends", and I tell them that my son is way more important than anything that goes on here.

Children could care less about a nice house or new cars (at least until they are 16) it's the time you spend with them that they remember.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
RhinofromWA said:
You know there are a hell of a lot of people who are in the same unfortunate boat that are still involved in their childs life and raise them devoting time and love to them that they need.

Of course there are people in bad situations. But there are tons of people that could if they cared to organize and try be there for their kids. An involved parent could use an afterschool activity program and still be a good parent but they seem to be the minority.

No government program is even a poor substitute to an involved and careing parent.
Rhino, can you not conceive of a single scenario whereby unexpected circumstances place a caring and loving parent in a difficult situation? If you can then you need to revise your manichean standpoint.

If you cannot you are completely devoid of either imagination or compassion.

Nobody should expect or desire the government to take care of their kids, every parent should be responsible but there are genuine cases of hardship in the world where despite a parent's best efforts (we are not all super-human) the child will suffer unless the state lends a hand somehow.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fluff said:
Rhino, can you not conceive of a single scenario whereby unexpected circumstances place a caring and loving parent in a difficult situation? If you can then you need to revise your manichean standpoint.

If you cannot you are completely devoid of either imagination or compassion.

Nobody should expect or desire the government to take care of their kids, every parent should be responsible but there are genuine cases of hardship in the world where despite a parent's best efforts (we are not all super-human) the child will suffer unless the state lends a hand somehow.
Fluff I don't have a problem with a couple hardship cases that need help....

I have a problem with the current crop of parents that don't care enough to be there for their kids and expect school and afterschool programs to fill the holes of neglect left by an uninvovled parent. I am talking for every case of true need is 100 cases of true neglect where the parent/s can with planning be there for their kids.

You confuse my disgust with the masses of neglective parents with all parents in need. That simply isn't true, some are in need of some assistance to get thru a rough patch and some are in need of parental boot camp.

I will say this very clearly....the poorest family can still have the best parent. $$$ is not the only factor, but can be part.

I say the vast afterschool programs are the essence of governmental babysitting. We are keeping kids entertained and busy, doing homework (all good things) but the kids still are lacking that parental support supervision that they are really needing. We just hope they are distracted at the key times they are getting into trouble
jmvar said:
‘Teens who hang out
unsupervised with
friends, and teens who
are failing in school, are
the youth most at risk for
becoming involved in
dangerous behaviors’
Afterschool activities are the bandaid for a much bigger problem. I suggest everyone who is for afterschool programs at whatever cost, also be pushing harder for parental responsibilty for raising their own children.

I have compassion but not for everyone and everything at all times and everywhere.

Hey fluff, I understand that you live in the land of socialized medicine and education. I'm sure the schools in Britain are harder and the kids (you think) are more educated than ours. My point was that a parent that just doesnt care about their kids and makes excuses for themselves is a parent that deserves to be shot. In some cases yes, I can understand that the parent/parents are too busy trying to keep the family in food and a place to live and have to work all day. My issue is with lazy parenting. Send the kids off to afterschool programs and presto... your raising your kid. In this country we tend to try to raise our kids, not let the government do it for us. Besides if you havent seen the news lately, my government has enough problems to worry.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
genpowell71 said:
Hey fluff, I understand that you live in the land of socialized medicine and education. I'm sure the schools in Britain are harder and the kids (you think) are more educated than ours. My point was that a parent that just doesnt care about their kids and makes excuses for themselves is a parent that deserves to be shot. In some cases yes, I can understand that the parent/parents are too busy trying to keep the family in food and a place to live and have to work all day. My issue is with lazy parenting. Send the kids off to afterschool programs and presto... your raising your kid. In this country we tend to try to raise our kids, not let the government do it for us. Besides if you havent seen the news lately, my government has enough problems to worry.
Dunno what you mean by harder and I doubt there is much difference in the education levels. I also agree that lazy parenting is a problem, I just don't like to see people who try against the odds labelled as uncaring or lazy. So we not far off the same page really. There is no substitute for good parenting, it does seem to be becoming rarer though.

And our government has many of the same problems, for some reason...