Quantcast

Tara Llanes Documentary

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Downhill race legend Tara Llanes has collaborated with cinematographer Aaron Larocque to produce this short trailer for an upcoming film about her injury and recovery. Powerful stuff.
---

She's an inspiration in so many respects, and this pre-trailer depicts that beautifully. Give it a watch and post your thoughts.

This is a pre-trailer to a film with Tara Llanes. The film follows her and other paraplegic athletes overcoming the challenges of their injuries. - Aaron Larocque.

Attachments

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
what an inspiration to others, even outside the mountain bike community. Sadly though I'm beginning to think that her chances of ever walking (let alone riding) again are slowly fading away. Keep on fighting the good fight Tara.

(wait's for someone to chime in calling me a d-bag)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Douche bag maybe but the sad reality is with each passing day the chances of overcoming a traumatic spinal cord injury such as this diminish. Not saying there is no chance of ever walking again but look at how many Of these injuries happen each year (albeit not to people with as much mental and physical strength as Tara) and affect people for the rest of their lives. Just one (non medical professional's opinion) so take it with a grain of salt.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
what an inspiration to others, even outside the mountain bike community. Sadly though I'm beginning to think that her chances of ever walking (let alone riding) again are slowly fading away. Keep on fighting the good fight Tara.

(wait's for someone to chime in calling me a d-bag)
she has the right attitude about what happened and though i really hate to say it i would have to agree with you..... i guess this makes us both d-bags

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Douche bag maybe but the sad reality is with each passing day the chances of overcoming a traumatic spinal cord injury such as this diminish. Not saying there is no chance of ever walking again but look at how many Of these injuries happen each year (albeit not to people with as much mental and physical strength as Tara) and affect people for the rest of their lives. Just one (non medical professional's opinion) so take it with a grain of salt.
Perhaps, but 'tough love' realism can also be viewed as self-defeating pessimism. At the moment she seems to be wanting to walk again, and focussed on doing all she can toward that goal. May work, may not, but probably worth a go...

Impossible to say until one is put in a position like that, but acceptance of 'diminishing' nature of recovery can either be liberating or soul-destroying. She's chosen to fight it, and imho - good on her. Rage against the dying of the light and all that...

Likewise, non-medico, and likewise know nothing specific about her injury - maybe non-recoverable, may be some % change, may be close to 'fixable with near-term technology/medicines... in the case of the latter it's got to be better to stay +ve and active to have best chance of success.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.

Bill S.

bryantaber

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
um ...... NO SH*T A$$HOLES. EVERYbody knows that their chances are slim. THAT's the point of the piece. That They still have hope in the face of insurmountable odds. That they are still fighting and keeping hope alive while the rest of the world tries to find a cure. A cure which requires research and FUNDING. FUNDING which depends all kinds of ways to drum up awareness including inspirational films starring famous former DH racing Champions. Your comments are just so selfish and irresponsible and if you are a mtber, stupid as well. Anyone of us could easily be in Tara's shoes. Try imaging that, and then imagining someone coming up to you and saying, " your chances of walking are slim" even though she probly has 3-4 DR.s already being "REAL" with her. Yeah, the piece is hard to watch,but try having a more productive way of dealing with your anxiety than acting like a giggly high school girl. Your not being Douchey.....Just selfish and irresponsible.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What the hell does a douche know about advancing research of stem cell/spinal cord injury advancement. Nothing? So before you come along and start ****ting all over a piece that is obviously designed to spur on interest and possibly funding for further research, think about what about what funding could mean to the 100's of atletes suffering. Your opinion really doesnt matter to them, stop being so selfish. There are places for assanine, ignorant comments, but here isn't one of them. It's about their stories and their hope that they are clinging to. Who the **** are you. If your name doesn't end in MD, then no one cares.
Calm down mate, I think people are being both honest and sensitive. Nobody's shown anything but support for her attitude and hope; acknowledgement of the possibility of negative outcomes doesn't mean somebody is "s**ting all over" what she's putting out there. All the best to her.

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I can't even watch it cause it breaks my heart.

I first found out about Tara in one of my old vhs vids chainsmoke 2,wen she was riding on the lawwill dh9 yeti.

She ****ing riped too,sabrina jonnier was on intense back then and wasn't butch.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
im amazed at how much she still puts back into MTB with everything going on.

I got nothing but respect for the fight she puts up.

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Massive respect for her, part of me doesn't want to see it as it's heart breaking and could happen to anyone of us but part of me has to watch it as it's sucha difficult subject and about someone that is still supporting and putting back into our sport.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
tara is a rad chick. ran into her here (she's now in vancouver, evidently); she's just jam packed with positive energy. by no means defined by her injury, i see her story more inspirational than tragic. a great soul.