Quantcast

Talk to me about affordable DJ forks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I'm in the market for a new DJ bike and I am confused by the fork choice if I don't want to spend top dollar on a Pike DJ.

What's good one level below so not trash and still workable. Is it only manitou circus expert? Or is there anything else?

Also any complete bikes worth considering or should I simply swap my parts from my 15 year old DJ bike (the ones that don't weigh a ton and I feel like they won't kill me)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why spend €400+ on a fork when you can get a full bike for 900?
Upgrade on the more expensive model is the Pike and the brakes, rest seems to be the same.

What is wrong with the old bike?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Why spend €400+ on a fork when you can get a full bike for 900?
Upgrade on the more expensive model is the Pike and the brakes, rest seems to be the same.

What is wrong with the old bike?
The old bike is heavy AF. Finding new parts for a 2007 DJ is a PITA and there are some small annoyances with it too which result in me generally wanting something new that will cause me fewer issues.

I was thinking about this rose. Not sure how durable the frame is. Dartmoor two6player evo is 100E more in PL so that's also a competitor.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In America at least, many complete DJ bikes are on deep sale. Evil is blowing their bike out, last i heard they still have a few left.

At small frame builder pricing, the Cane Creek Helm DJ, the Ohlins dj fork(both of those are assembled on 27.5” chassis so you get 90 instead of 100mm of travel) and the Pike are all within $60 of each other.

I’ve tried all 3 this year, the Ohlins was ultimately my favorite in terms of spring and damper performance, but the lighter weight of the Pike and the extra cm of travel are mighty nice if you are just out gooning. I like the helm a lot, but swapped the Helm over to a 130mm 27.5 fork for my FS ds bike, it’s nice that it is as simple as a lowers service to convert the Helm into a standard fork.

I avoid the manitou forks because they are too long

(edit- those Rose completes look bitchin for the price, they look almost exactly like the DMR Rythm I have in my basement, but with 3 bolt swapouts instead of 2 bolt swapouts)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The old bike is heavy AF. Finding new parts for a 2007 DJ is a PITA and there are some small annoyances with it too which result in me generally wanting something new that will cause me fewer issues.

I was thinking about this rose. Not sure how durable the frame is. Dartmoor two6player evo is 100E more in PL so that's also a competitor.
Is it for pump track use of real DJ-ing?
If it is for pump track use, you can go old XC fork if you are not too heavy. I run a 120 mm Manitou Minute 26" with 20 mm axle on mine. Super light fork.

Yeah, not many straight steerer forks out there anymore.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Weird, did they change something? My old 120 mm Minute has the same A2C as a 100 mm Marzocchi 4X
That era of M-arch Marz forks was also long!
The reverse arch comes at the cost of making the fork longer so the arch doesn’t hit the downtube. If i were less lazy i would go find the chart i made with the various modern “jump” forks.
On my bikes with straight headtubes I have an amalgam of old XC forks… the improvements in damping and spring over the last 15 years are more noticeable than anything else…

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That era of M-arch Marz forks was also long!
The reverse arch comes at the cost of making the fork longer so the arch doesn’t hit the downtube. If i were less lazy i would go find the chart i made with the various modern “jump” forks.
On my bikes with straight headtubes I have an amalgam of old XC forks… the improvements in damping and spring over the last 15 years are more noticeable than anything else…
Thanks, didn't know that. No need to find the chart, I am happy with my setup. Minute was always a pretty progressive fork, so run with higher pressure results in a nice feel on the pump track and good resistance to bottoming out on fu**ed up landings.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is it for pump track use of real DJ-ing?
If it is for pump track use, you can go old XC fork if you are not too heavy. I run a 120 mm Manitou Minute 26" with 20 mm axle on mine. Super light fork.

Yeah, not many straight steerer forks out there anymore.
It's 80% pump 20% DJ but I'm horrible at steep jumps so the bike will get some bad landings. So this is why I dont want an xc fork

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
(the best option for straight steet tubes i can find in america is a Suntour Epicon… until the damper blows up it will offer almost enough rebound damping, but the stock compression range isn’t very useful at high psi)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Circus at 100 mm travel is 2 mm shorter than a Pike DJ and about 10 mm shorter than the Ohlins or Helm at 90 mm.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
oh, lol i musta been looking at the manitou forks at the 130mm lengths, ahahaha.

fwiw
I’m assuming anyone looking for a replacement fork for a frame from 2007 needs a straight steer tube. It’s Manitou and Suntour left in that game… or your buddies basement.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Anyone have time on a fox/marz dj fork?

It's probably not the boat anchor the DJ3 was back in the day. Bomb proof but so damn heavy, those were!

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I've had a manitou circus expert 100mm (32mm legs & 20mm axle) for a long time now. Coil spring with air preload, ABS+ damper.
The fork is more than stiff enough for my usage with 26" wheels. The damper is shimmed as their 'jump stack', which means the shim stack is very thick and highly preloaded, so you can lock it out to fully rigid. The rebound knob is a cheap plastic 180deg adjuster though, and the old manitou 20mm hex axle is a pain to remove/mount because of 5 bolts.
They also have a gen2 and gen3 version with 34mm legs, single bolt axle and air springs.
If you can find it cheap, the gen1 is definitely great, just as long as you are not planning to remove the front wheel every ride.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I still have an unused CSU for the first gen (<2011) 36 with a straight steerer laying around if anybody is in need of one.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
should I simply swap my parts from my 15 year old DJ bike
It'd kinda help if you told us the bike and it's spec incl what's making it so heavy
Unlike most other mtbs nothing's really changed dramatically with DJ bikes since 2007

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Manitou Circus models aren't bad if you've got a 20mm axle front wheel and don't get an eye twitch from the reverse arch. The Pro and Expert are like 2000g, while the coil sprung Comp is 2500g and they seem available in both tapered and straight steerers. The Marz DJ is also a good contender if you're spending that much coin and I think they're usually cheaper than the Pike DJ.

X-Fusion does a Dj fork but I haven't seen or ridden it. The RST dirt model is utter shite and you'd be better off finding a rigid fork at that point. Actually a rigid fork isn't a terrible consideration if you're riding pump track or whatnot.

Just be aware that DJ forks come in both 15mm and 20mm axle versions as well as a bunch of steerer configs. FWIW, most of the price of a DJ bike is in the fork these days so if you're really after a new DJ fork consider the value of a complete build option - particularly now while the industry shits itself after price gouging for the past few years.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I've had a manitou circus expert 100mm (32mm legs & 20mm axle) for a long time now. Coil spring with air preload, ABS+ damper.
The fork is more than stiff enough for my usage with 26" wheels. The damper is shimmed as their 'jump stack', which means the shim stack is very thick and highly preloaded, so you can lock it out to fully rigid. The rebound knob is a cheap plastic 180deg adjuster though, and the old manitou 20mm hex axle is a pain to remove/mount because of 5 bolts.
They also have a gen2 and gen3 version with 34mm legs, single bolt axle and air springs.
If you can find it cheap, the gen1 is definitely great, just as long as you are not planning to remove the front wheel every ride.
I have the same fork on my blk mrkt edit1.

I’ve used it heavily for dirt jumps, gooning around and the very occasional trail.

it’s a fine fork. It’s light enough for me, it locks out hard as a teenager on prom night and it’s easy to maintain. If I were to do the build tomorrow, I’d probably go with marzocchi or a pike just for the slight stiffness increase, though truthfully it’s not a big deal. I think the circus has been updated to have thicker stanchions as well. But not sure.

For proper jumps and pump tracks,you’re going to be running the fork overly stiff and so I wouldn’t personally give a flying fudge about the damper. You aren’t trying to be concerned about trail vibration/traction when you’re riding your intended zones.

my recommendation is to get whatever is cheap or comes from a company that you like, or even that is aesthetically pleasing with your build.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It'd kinda help if you told us the bike and it's spec incl what's making it so heavy
Unlike most other mtbs nothing's really changed dramatically with DJ bikes since 2007
Honestly everything but mainly frame and fork. 2007DJ is heavy AF. A 2007 pretty basic steel DJ frame is also not super light. It was a bike I put together from various parts I got together for when I was doing side gigs for local industry companies but that means it has few light components.

But generally my main question remains the fork. What DJ forks are not crap. I'm not looking into being told I should feel bad for wanting a new bike after riding my DJ for 16 years.

@MrBaker87 my only concern about the damper is durability. I want no issues. I don't want magical damping. I just know some companies cut corners on DJ forks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
in that case I wouldn't even bother fannying around asking what fork to buy and just grab one of the many completes that suits your budget and doesn't have terrible components (incl fork). You really don't need anything other than basic damping on a pumptrack/DJ hardtail. and you'll have warranty should it fail

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
in that case I wouldn't even bother fannying around asking what fork to buy and just grab one of the many completes that suits your budget and doesn't have terrible components (incl fork). You really don't need anything other than basic damping on a pumptrack/DJ hardtail. and you'll have warranty should it fail
Sure that's what I got from this topic. Now I just want to avoid a fork that will collapse when I land something badly and I know some DJ forks that aren't top of the line can be a bit shit. I will probably look at Dartmoor, Rose or Privateer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Everything breaks if hit hard enough. But I don't think I've seen a single complete DJ bike under £700 from any decent brand that had a truely terrible weak fork in over a decade.
Quite refreshing when you consider the current piss take in mediocre and above trail/enduro bike pricing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Everything breaks if hit hard enough. But I don't think I've seen a single complete DJ bike under £700 from any decent brand that had a truely terrible weak fork in over a decade.
Quite refreshing when you consider the current piss take in mediocre and above trail/enduro bike pricing.
NS bikes has some trash when you compare them to their competition. At least in PL prices but yeah Enduro pricing is almost as bad as Gravel pricing.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

Anyone have time on a fox/marz dj fork?

It's probably not the boat anchor the DJ3 was back in the day. Bomb proof but so damn heavy, those were!
Yeah. It’s lighter than the old stuff Marz stuff fer sure.

It works fine (I am sure any modern dj fork would) for me. Running at max psi and damping fully closed I think, but damping really doesn’t matter. Mostly the fork just takes the edge off / helps avoid catastrophic otb when being a hack.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
lighter than the old stuff Marz stuff fer sure.
The OG Marzocchi DJ was a weird fork. A lot of things about the design just didn't make sense. Aesthetically they were made to "look" and "feel" strong rather than actually be any stronger or moar durable. The range was also confusing AF with changing various overcomplicated internals throughout the line and the entry level fork having a completely different chassis and internals (made by Suntour). those things did have elastomers tho so well ahead of the game :brows: *apparently*
New stuff looks to be far more sensible in every way