Quantcast

Take DHR to South Africa? Beta request

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
So, I'm moving to South Africa in a few weeks and am thinking about bringing my 07 DHR over w/ me. I will be living for the next six months outside of Hoedspruit but will have a vehicle and would love to shred another continent. Is it worth it? I know the first world cup stage will be there in April and plan on attending. Is there enough going on in the country to warrant bringing my rig over? How easy would it be to sell the bike there (it has an 07 Boxxer WC, full race spec, and has been fully pushed) and what kind of selling price might I be looking at?

Also any beta on places to ride in RSA would be AWESOME:biggrin:. cheers, john

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I'd say bring it if you can do any traveling. What you doing that far north? Johannesburg has a decent track called Gilooly's which will probably be closest to you but theres not much else going on up there. As you already know, theres the world cup track in 'maritzburg as well as a ton of others. Let me know when you get down here, maybe I can help you with tracks and such if you bring your bike. There will be a national on the world cup track the weekend before the world cup so you could race that. The cape has Jonkershoek, Paarl, urban assault etc. but they pretty hard to get to for the most part.

Selling your bike shouldn't be too hard if the price is right. A friend of mine sold his team issue Morewood for a decent price 2 months before the end of the season and thwe guy was willing to wait till he was finnished with it. Lately a few guys with $$$ have started downhilling and alot of them are looking for a top of the line second hand bike to get started. But downhill isn't too big over here so there is a chance it'll sit for a while.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
thanks dude. I'll drop you a line for sure. gonna be working just outside Kruger, but will definitely have a vehicle and am, for sure, motivated to travel to ride. thanks and I hit you up in a few weeks. You in Jo'burg? If so, what is the best route to purchase a used vehicle there? cheers, john

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Im in 'maritzburg, down the road from the world cup track. Sorry I cant help with the used car thing. Im sure if you chacked out the used car dealerships up there you should be able to find something. When you getting here?

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
**** yeah! I am sure finding a used rig in Jo'burg should be pretty easy, so I'll check that out. scheduled to be leaving the states Feb 27 (not sure I'll make it quite that day), but I'll definitely be in RSA in the beginning of March. if there's any small (read easily packable and light) **** you need/want, let me know since I'm headed your way anyway and can wholesale most anything.....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd say if you can rent real bikes over there, you're better off taking that route. I don't know how hard you'll be working or how much storage space you'll have or if you'll bring your tools too, but my experience with bringing kit on extended overseas trips is that it's a boat anchor and a pain and I didn't use it nearly as much as intended.