Quantcast

Suspension setting when taking in mind the second hit

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Hi
Was thinking.
At every hit, the tire is the first to get hit. Than the suspension.
But...
The tire have no rebound settings. Its like a spring. And every hit will couse it to rebound fast and make the suspension get a second high speed compression from it.
So every hit is 2 compressions.

What do you think?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is why its a good idea to keep tire pressures consistent, along with suspension settings. At least thats what I find.

I have some days where it feels like my suspension is acting like garbage, only to realize that I over inflated the tires or something similar.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hi
Was thinking.
At every hit, the tire is the first to get hit. Than the suspension.
But...
The tire have no rebound settings. Its like a spring. And every hit will couse it to rebound fast and make the suspension get a second high speed compression from it.
So every hit is 2 compressions.

What do you think?
Tire case is a rebound adj

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I really missed this forum ♥
I know there are tires that are ST and other compounds. But still. Its full of air.
I have an idea of how to fix that... but...
I want to hear more of your input

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
It is interesting as there are basically two springs in the system, and if you have inserts and are running 18spi like some North Shore Bro then it changes the tire spring effect again as it's then air+pool tube.

@saruti , so what's the fix? :clue:

I really want to get some data acquisition stuff just to up the suspension geek level a few magnitudes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
From a wholistic approach. I don't think there's a solid one answer. But I know what you're talking about. Usually, I know if I pull a move and I'm gonna bounce, I prepare for that. It's not really the bikes fault.

And I know from experience, if I adjust suspension for that specific circumstance that the rest of the ride might feel wonky.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
*scribbles 'elastomer hubs' on napkin*
I have searched and searched and searched, but I distinctly remember these existing in the late 80’s/early 90’s. IIRC, they advertised 1/4” of ‘travel’, which seems like an awful lot. (Think of your rim going up and down a 1/4“, and what that would do to brake pad setup).
I am sure I read about them in MBA. It was about the same time as the ‘Mountain Tamer Quad’.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
LOL, Sage (Catabriga )left a backpack in my truck once while shuttling, I could smell it from the front seat. I didn’t know how to get it back to him, so I gave it to his dad, weed and all. It reeked.

Wait…is Bark some other scruffy-haired Sage?
Appears so.
Are they with their dog, Cairn?

Answer: Who cares

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
LMAO. Bark and Pincone!

I haven't seen one of their vids in a looooong time. Same with a lot of the similar utubers. Vanlife bro! Naw. I'm good.

I'll just get one of these things (no knot really, but they are just down the interstate from me. Can't justify the cost):

https://earthroamer.com/new-lti/explore/

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This is why its a good idea to keep tire pressures consistent, along with suspension settings. At least thats what I find.

I have some days where it feels like my suspension is acting like garbage, only to realize that I over inflated the tires or something similar.
Overinflated as in 50 psi or 35 psi?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
LMAO. Bark and Pincone!

I haven't seen one of their vids in a looooong time. Same with a lot of the similar utubers. Vanlife bro! Naw. I'm good.

I'll just get one of these things (no knot really, but they are just down the interstate from me. Can't justify the cost):

https://earthroamer.com/new-lti/explore/
a family member had one of these. ~$1/2M and always seemed to be in service. he had planned a round the world trip, but after it breaking in costa rica (a repair that required shipping large parts from the US, over a month lead time, etc), he decided it probably wasn't the best tool for the job & unloaded it. not to mention it physically wouldn't fit lots of places, and being conspicuously $$ isn't a great idea in some zones.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Exactly. It's also compression damping. That's why Double Down and DH casings feel better. The damping (turning motion into heat) is also why they pedal worse, so no free lunch.
Which reminds me. Are you still on 808 time?

Man, snow here is less than you'd expect. Like Arrowhead and Bachelors Gulch are not open yet. You can use their lifts, but not open to ride. Not sure what's open at Breck. Went to the Beav, even tho we stayed near Vail. Peeps at Vail were reporting super thin conditions. Less than impressive, I'd say. Snow guns still rockin'

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
a family member had one of these. ~$1/2M and always seemed to be in service. he had planned a round the world trip, but after it breaking in costa rica (a repair that required shipping large parts from the US, over a month lead time, etc), he decided it probably wasn't the best tool for the job & unloaded it. not to mention it physically wouldn't fit lots of places, and being conspicuously $$ isn't a great idea in some zones.
Yeah, wow. They are fancy. But wow, I guess it's not the "camper" part that is the fault. Moar like the Ford chassis (or whatever engine/chassis) they decided to use?

I pass their company all the time and am like dude, sweet. And then I am like Naw.