Quantcast

Suspension Oil Blending

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So I'm stoked to find out that I can get my hand on Silkolene oils at a nearby motorsports shop. I'm in the process of rebuilding my Boxxer and installing an Avalanche cartridge and based on the installation literature, it appears that the valving is optimized for oils with a viscosity grade of 16-17cSt@40C. I'm figuring that I'll use the Silkolene Pro RSF fluid for the cartridge as I don't see any reason why I wouldn't want to use an oil that is more stable with temperature variation. Avalanche recommends a viscosity index of ~150 but the Silkolene's have VI's of ~400. Is there any reason, not to try to run the highest VI possible?

My next question is when blending oil to achieve a specific viscosity grade is this calculation a pretty safe assumption for final VG?

VG of 2.5wt = 13.60 cSt@40C and 5wt = 26.7cSt@40C

So (3 parts*2.5wt + 1 part*5wt)/4 = Final Blend VG = 16.88 cSt@40C This would seem simple enough, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Using a Refutas calculator..

For a 17 cST final viscosity using 13.6 and 26.7 cST oil you need 65% of the 13.6 oil and 35% of the 26.7.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
This may throw a spanner in the works for you, but Silkolene does not work well as a bushing/lower lubricant.

It is an excellent damper fluid if isolated within a sealed or semi-bath cartridge (i.e. Fox FIT, RS Motion/Mission Control) however as soon as you go to open bath, I'd be using a different fluid. The Silkolene seems to have a property that can slightly swell bushing coatings in RS forks, and thus stiction will increase greatly over time. I have heard one or two reports of Redline doing the same thing but have not tried myself.

With an open bath system the fluid volume is much greater, and thus the average oil temperatures are much lower. There is no need for a very high VI fluid, and because you don't have the benefit of isolated damping and lubrication oils, it's far more important to find an oil that offers good sliding performance.

With the VI not being a critical part of the equation, you'll have a lot more freedom in oil choice. Some that usually work well in sliding applications are Motul, Torco, Spectro, Maxima. Avalanche may have some other recommendations if you ask them.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This may throw a spanner in the works for you, but Silkolene does not work well as a bushing/lower lubricant.

It is an excellent damper fluid if isolated within a sealed or semi-bath cartridge (i.e. Fox FIT, RS Motion/Mission Control) however as soon as you go to open bath, I'd be using a different fluid. The Silkolene seems to have a property that can slightly swell bushing coatings in RS forks, and thus stiction will increase greatly over time. I have heard one or two reports of Redline doing the same thing but have not tried myself.

With an open bath system the fluid volume is much greater, and thus the average oil temperatures are much lower. There is no need for a very high VI fluid, and because you don't have the benefit of isolated damping and lubrication oils, it's far more important to find an oil that offers good sliding performance.

With the VI not being a critical part of the equation, you'll have a lot more freedom in oil choice. Some that usually work well in sliding applications are Motul, Torco, Spectro, Maxima. Avalanche may have some other recommendations if you ask them.
Thanks for input Udi. I thought I had recalled that there were a few high VI oils that did not play nice in certain fork applications.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
where the hell did you find silkolene locally? I couldn't find it anywhere when I wanted to put it in my **** dhx.
Pro Tip - Bike shops don't carry high performance suspension oils. Get them at motorsport shops. In this case, Riverside Motorsports, Union Sqr. Somerville.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Called em. They said they didn't have shock fluid. Maybe they just didn't have the shock fluid I needed. Neither did the moto shop up in billerica. Oh well, good find.