Quantcast

sunringle MTX rims?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I just got a set and went Downhilling for a few hours on some pretty steep trails and they held up pretty well. I cased a step-up pretty bad and they held up awesome. So far, I love them! and they look awesome also

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
vtminuteman said:
I should have mentioned I weigh 150 and I would use them for east coast donwhill racing.
At 150 you could easily use the retail singletrack rims(welded and pinned) without much drama...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Spokompton said:
MTX is a wider rim along with being beefier. 34mm

It's a smaller version of the MAG30
So what is your point? You certainly can use singletracks as a lightweight racing rim if you only weigh 150 lbs (as long as they aren't the crappy pinned OEM ones)...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I weigh less than you do and have Rhyno Lite XL rims on my bike right now. If you're smooth, you may have good luck with those rims. I know E.C. uses them as his race rim.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
MTX rims are only 50 grams heavier than singletrack rims. Yet the profile is much taller and a little wider. They seem to be a good compromise between weight and strength. I have had great luck with them so far.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
My only complaint with MTX would be it seems they're a slightly softer aluminium than a 521, so I've had mine dent... but apart from that, it's a pretty good rim and I'll be buying another pair for my next bike buildup.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'll be picking up a set in a few weeks, and from what I've seen, they are sweet. I'd love some Eight Tracks, but can't seem to find the rim only.
Edit: Eight Tracks are MTX rims. :D

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I am on the MTXs now and really like them. I have bent singletracks way too easily in the past to be confident in their longevity (yes these were the nice welded ones), but the MTX is way tougher. I have ridden the Mag30/Doubletracks and found them fairly bombproof but very heavy and they tend to cut tires (and tubes if your not tubless). The MTX seems to be a perfect blend of reasonable weight and durability (at least for me). I weigh 160 and ride rocky terrain.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Rik said:
My only complaint with MTX would be it seems they're a slightly softer aluminium than a 521, so I've had mine dent... but apart from that, it's a pretty good rim and I'll be buying another pair for my next bike buildup.
Whick is better. Harder alloy cracks and fails more abruptly. Brittle isn't good for rims.

The MTX holds up great because of the extra thick tire bead hooks. It's easily twice as thick as a RhynoLite.

For $55, there isn't a better strength to weight rim out there.

Just make sure to get the MTX and not the MTX S-Type. The S-type isn't welded like the MTX.

Single tracks suck, period. I've seen plenty of those get flatspotted or tacoed. They are a "SINGLE TRACK" rim, how does that imply Freeride or DH capable? Just because FR/DH bikes are speced with them doesn't jack squat. Same as putting a QR fork on a FR/DH bike, it's done, but not good!!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Out of all of Sun rims that I have ran, the MTX rim has held up by far the best. When built properly, they are hard to knock out of true/and or flatspot.
They will DENT like nobody's business though. That is when Suns soft metal is a bonus though. I pulled about 4 dents out of the rim after the US Open with a pair of pliers, and the rim will still hold a tubeless tire. Perfect. :)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
HRDTLBRO said:
I'll be picking up a set in a few weeks, and from what I've seen, they are sweet. I'd love some Eight Tracks, but can't seem to find the rim only.
Edit: Eight Tracks are MTX rims. :D
the MTX and the eight racks are two separate rims....D

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
BMXman said:
the MTX and the eight racks are two separate rims....D

Interesting......Do you know what's different about the rims used for the 8 track wheelset verses the Mtn-x rims? I assumed they were the same.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I dunno. I just totally bent a atomlab DHR and i have broken a Mag 30 in half due to east coast racing. Maybe it is just the insainly low tire pressures i run, but my rear wheels only last about a year. I weigh 145.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
mack said:
I dunno. I just totally bent a atomlab DHR and i have broken a Mag 30 in half due to east coast racing. Maybe it is just the insainly low tire pressures i run, but my rear wheels only last about a year. I weigh 145.

If you weigh 145 and are breaking Mag 30s you need to learn to ride better...........

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Zutroy said:
If you weigh 145 and are breaking Mag 30s you need to learn to ride better...........
Or get a better wheel builder.

Last season i was about 200lbs (less now yay). and I swore by 721s(521). They are excellent for the weight.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Zutroy said:

Or need a better wheel builder. I was suprised when it broke really. It was only a 9 ft drop. :confused:

Any way, i have had very good luck with all atomlab rims and IMO i find them supurior to others. And at a good price.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
i have a set of single tracks and i was think it was the build but they are ****,flat spotted here and there,dents and stress fractures and the rims are about 2 months old

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I've been running the mtx since massanutten on my bighit. The dude that built them builds great wheels and i trust his job. With that said they aren't that great. If you have the money get mavic. They are soft and dent easy and flat spot. I am pretty smooth and run 25psi and weigh 150 lbs. My friends that have them dent the hell out of them and flat spot them too and they are smooth skilled riders. They are ok for the money but if you can afford it i'd get mavic rims.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
every sun rim that I have built up, has failed to be round and straight out of the box. Takes more time to build, and will never be as strong as a comparable mavic.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have had the opposite experience. Although my Singletracks had a massive flat spot, my Rhyno Light XL rims hold up great compared to similar Mavic rims. Plus, they're really light.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hahaha. Well first of all my HR isn't what I would call an XC bike.I'll have a Z1 on there soon. Secondly I had an SX, but I'm selling it in hopes of getting a Demo 8. And also, you can't judge how hardcore someone is by their "stable." :nuts:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BMXman said:
http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/mtbrims.html

hmm... kind of confusing maybe some of the rims are similar but I have seen and held both MTX and 8 tracks and they were definitely different...D

Edit: now that I think about it maybe they were double tracks...D
i just got in a set of mtx rims, and they came un-stickered with both mtx and 8 track stickers in the bag. my mechanic went with the 8 track set, and they look sweet :thumb:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Toshi said:
i just got in a set of mtx rims, and they came un-stickered with both mtx and 8 track stickers in the bag. my mechanic went with the 8 track set, and they look sweet :thumb:
cool...maybe I'll piss of the tech nerds and put both sets on mine...I have 4 wheels being built up with them as we speak...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i thought about putting both sets of stickers on, too... but they look quite good with just the 8 track set on so i'll not mess with success.