Quantcast

Sunday DHX issues

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
hey guys i've been having some problems with my new sunday.....
when i first got the bike it felt great through everything fast sections with little bumps and any big drops super quiet bike .....
now about 3 weeks later......it feels like crap and its really loud(chain slap) going fast through little rough stuff like braking bumps....real "chattier" feeling....
the thing is i didn't touch athe shock....it just started feeling like that...
i talked to the fox guy at the open this past w/e.....he did some few minor tweaks with the air volume and told me to mess with the pro pedal knob.....but nothing helped....
some input would be well appreciated....
i just don't get how it went from great to crap in just a few weeks...
thanks
markz, tn

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Check the DU bushings for said "chattier-ness". What shock settings did Mike at the Fox truck recommend? (Drop me a PM if they recommended anything different then the following.) The bike comes stock w/ a 300# spring which will typically suit riders in the 170-180lb range. Set air pressure around 125psi with the bottom out 1/2 way. Add maybe a click or two of propedal if needed per course conditions.

-ska todd

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
mark.
this may or may not have a relation to your shock problem.

i recently put the swinger back on my bike while i'm waiting on new hardware from fox.
i immediately noticed that the swinger felt much better in the first couple of inches of travel over the dhx. that wasn't the case when the fox was new.
i'm going to have to get a hold of them for info, or send it to them for some t.l.c.
since it was an off the shelf item, it may need to be customized to my bike, weight and riding style.

so it may be a shock issue and not that new frame.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm...

Mfzbike:
going fast through little rough stuff like braking bumps....real "chattier" feeling....
the thing is i didn't touch the shock....it just started feeling like that...
...here's what I'm thinking: if you said you haven't touched the shock AT ALL could we assume this would also include adding air to the piggy-back reservoir?

You do realize that these shocks can loose as much as 25psi a day depending on the shock, weather, and riding conditions.

If you haven't added or checked the air in your DHX chances are you could have been riding on a shock with nearly Zero PSI... this could potentially do REALLY awful things to damage a DHX... I'm not trying to scare you - it may not be the case - but definitely something to ask yourself.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
mark's a good rider and good mechanic.
shock air pressure was probably the first thing he checked.(you did didn't you ?:) )

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
S.K.C. said:
Hmmm...

Mfzbike:

...here's what I'm thinking: if you said you haven't touched the shock AT ALL could we assume this would also include adding air to the piggy-back reservoir?

You do realize that these shocks can loose as much as 25psi a day depending on the shock, weather, and riding conditions.

If you haven't added or checked the air in your DHX chances are you could have been riding on a shock with nearly Zero PSI... this could potentially do REALLY awful things to damage a DHX... I'm not trying to scare you - it may not be the case - but definitely something to ask yourself.
Hold up, they lose 25psi a DAY? That BLOWS!!! Even my Swinger was able to hold a pretty consistant pressure.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
on the sx trail isn't the DHX set up in a neutral amount of air pressure, and if it looses as much as 25 psi a day how can you pump air pack in, because of fitting issues they made it so you can not.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
i never touched the shock, sorry except to check the obvious, air pressure.....
i just don't get how it was was one the quietest and smoothest bikes i had ever ridden for a 2-3 weeks and then just went to crap....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SXtrailrider said:
on the sx trail isn't the DHX set up in a neutral amount of air pressure, and if it looses as much as 25 psi a day how can you pump air pack in, because of fitting issues they made it so you can not.
I would assume it would lose pressure out of the valve so you're safe. I'm sure they thought of this.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
mfzbike said:
i never touched the shock, sorry except to check the obvious, air pressure.....
i just don't get how it was was one the quietest and smoothest bikes i had ever ridden for a 2-3 weeks and then just went to crap....
It sounds like you have a shock problem. I'm not sure how much experience you have with shocks or blown ones for that matter, but if you don't mayBe a friend can help determine if you have a problem with the shock.

Here are a couple simple things to check:

1) are your aluminum fox bushings ovalized?
2) are your DU bushings in your shock worn out?
3) Is your damper functioning properly?

Also, you mentioned chain slap, just put a piece of hardware store PVC clear flexible tubing over your rear derailleur cable and it takes away any chain noise. its a $0.3 investment.

Hope this helps.

Dave

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Bicyclist said:
Hold up, they lose 25psi a DAY? That BLOWS!!! Even my Swinger was able to hold a pretty consistant pressure.
yeah, he went a little overboard with that statement.
i'd go for weeks without checking the air pressure. and then just for grins i'd check it. i never ever lost as much as 1lb. in almost a year of riding.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh dear, this thread will go downhill now! Search google for ....

Also, Todd, my chick wants to know if she can have the recipe or mix brand that you used for the carne asada steak, it kicked ass.

To the OP - has the shock gotten any louder? If there is any cavitation sounds you need a rebuild or rebleed. The air pressure may have fallen at one point and caused the air in the chamber to get into the rest of the shock. Thsi will cause some of the chattery symptoms you are having.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Transcend said:
Also, Todd, my chick wants to know if she can have the recipe or mix brand that you used for the carne asada steak, it kicked ass.
Seasoned the steak w/ chipotle chile powder, salt, pepper, lime juice and then cooked in butter w/ a splash of tequila.

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ska todd said:
Misspelling "maybe" & "investment"...are you still drunk from the Sauza on Sat night?

-ska todd
damn me and my too fast typing. I rode that tequila off all day on Sunday.

BOOYA!

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
dw said:
It sounds like you have a shock problem. I'm not sure how much experience you have with shocks or blown ones for that matter, but if you don't mayBe a friend can help determine if you have a problem with the shock.

Here are a couple simple things to check:

1) are your aluminum fox bushings ovalized?
NO they are not
2) are your DU bushings in your shock worn out?
fox checked them at the open, good to go
3) Is your damper functioning properly?
not really sure...the shock feels fine on big hits....its the first few inches of travel that feel like a glass of water

Also, you mentioned chain slap, just put a piece of hardware store PVC clear flexible tubing over your rear derailleur cable and it takes away any chain noise. its a $0.3 investment.
chain slap isn't an issue....the bike was super queit when i first got it...now its so so loud

Hope this helps.

Dave
thanks for the help surely i can get this figured out

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
S.K.C. said:
Hmmm...

Don't forget that checking the pressure, drops the pressure.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
well.....i cleaned up my bike and all that....havn't touched since race run on sunday....pushed up and down on the rear and now its making a squishy fluid sucking sound........
clean it all up took the shoch set it to what ska todd said it should be at....and nothing....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That squishy noise means you have an oil/air mix going on (free bleed). It may be due to a simple loss of pressure when it was hit really hard, or a faulty seal. You need to get it serviced.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
just to second or third what the other guys said, your shock is blown from the sounds of it. If the pressure in the chamber got super low, that could have caused it. Get it serviced and you should be all good.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh yeah, Cane Creek, we're still testing it on the bike.

Dave

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Sooo...if my DHX is silent i'm ok? I think I lost pressure once after a large impact. All of a sudden it felt sloppy and soft at the end of a run. Is it possible for a shock to 'fade' as the oil heats up?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
CKxx said:
Sooo...if my DHX is silent i'm ok? I think I lost pressure once after a large impact. All of a sudden it felt sloppy and soft at the end of a run. Is it possible for a shock to 'fade' as the oil heats up?
Yes shock fade is a real issue, that is why the remote/ piggyback res. was created in the first place. You should see the size of the res. on a trophy truck shock needed to keep the oil on that thing cool.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
So, if you can hear your shock making a "slurping" sound does that meen it has air in the main chamber? My shock feels fine but I can certainly hear the oil passing through the valves more then I recall it doing when I bought it. I always run the boost vlave at arround 75psi but maybe it slipped during a ride.

Thanks guys,

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Marc, if you just hear the oil, you are fine. If you hear cavitation (bubbles being dragged along) you are not so fine. I run about 120 lbs of air, midway closed chamber, and a 300lb spring.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Thanks,

I guess I am having a hard time determining if I hear "bubbles" or not. I am am a bit of a newb to all the shock sounds and what they mean. Here is a bit more info. This is a DHX air by the way, although I had this same issue with my coil last year so would really like to understand all this.

I always run the air in the boost valve above 75psi but it may have fallen during a ride at some point. I started to notice it make a sharp &#8220;whistle&#8221; sound during the rebound stroke while on a ride. I could stop it by backing off the rebound, stroking it a few times and dialing the rebound back in.

Since then, I have noticed that I can hear the oil being passed through the valves more. It makes a bit more of a &#8220;slurping&#8221; sound than I remember it initially having. It&#8217;s not as noticeable with the rebound backed off so maybe it is just due to the high leverage ratio or that the narrower orifices from the rebound being dialed in amplifies the problem? I removed the air sleeve and checked the stroke from start to finish and it seems solid until the very top (uncompressed) portion of the stroke where it seems to feel like there is possibly air in the chamber. It needed a little tug to get it fully to the uncompressed position. The rest of the stroke feels solid. There is no chatter, the shock feels ok and only these odd sounds have had me even looking at it. The coil-over on my Sunday is quiet as a mouse.

What do you think?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
FastTimes said:
Thanks,

I guess I am having a hard time determining if I hear "bubbles" or not. I am am a bit of a newb to all the shock sounds and what they mean. Here is a bit more info. This is a DHX air by the way, although I had this same issue with my coil last year so would really like to understand all this.

I always run the air in the boost valve above 75psi but it may have fallen during a ride at some point. I started to notice it make a sharp “whistle” sound during the rebound stroke while on a ride. I could stop it by backing off the rebound, stroking it a few times and dialing the rebound back in.

Since then, I have noticed that I can hear the oil being passed through the valves more. It makes a bit more of a “slurping” sound than I remember it initially having. It’s not as noticeable with the rebound backed off so maybe it is just due to the high leverage ratio or that the narrower orifices from the rebound being dialed in amplifies the problem? I removed the air sleeve and checked the stroke from start to finish and it seems solid until the very top (uncompressed) portion of the stroke where it seems to feel like there is possibly air in the chamber. It needed a little tug to get it fully to the uncompressed position. The rest of the stroke feels solid. There is no chatter, the shock feels ok and only these odd sounds have had me even looking at it. The coil-over on my Sunday is quiet as a mouse.

What do you think?
If it gets loud and you start to notice a loss of damping control, you have a free bleed situation going on.

It's hard to explain the noise difference, but it's quyite easy when you know what they sound like. The regular oil through valves noise is normal. The slurping swishing bubbly noise is not.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
mfzbike said:
hey guys i've been having some problems with my new sunday.....
when i first got the bike it felt great through everything fast sections with little bumps and any big drops super quiet bike .....
now about 3 weeks later......it feels like crap and its really loud(chain slap) going fast through little rough stuff like braking bumps....real "chattier" feeling....
the thing is i didn't touch athe shock....it just started feeling like that...
i talked to the fox guy at the open this past w/e.....he did some few minor tweaks with the air volume and told me to mess with the pro pedal knob.....but nothing helped....
some input would be well appreciated....
i just don't get how it went from great to crap in just a few weeks...
thanks
markz, tn
My DHX coil did the same thing "it feels like crap and its really loud(chain slap) going fast through little rough stuff like braking bumps....real "chattier" feeling...." good description of mine.I kept checking the air cause it kept felling softer. Turns out the oil was a mess. Put new heavier oil in and all good again. With the heavier oil I had to run less air 110psi compared to the stock oil at around 180psi.
The heavier oil provided more damping so I dropped the psi's to achieve the feel I was accustomed to.