Quantcast

Sun Ringle ADD Pro Wheels

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Has anyone spent any time on these things? I just destroyed another wheel(Mavic 729 laced to DT 340), and was thinking about picking up these as a replacement. They seem to be relatively light, are tubeless compatible and I can get them for a good price. My old original ADD wheels served me well a few years ago, but I'm not sure how burly these new ones are. I ride a lot of rough trails, case things, and do stupid things all the time. Will these hold up?

My only concern is that it's a 28 hole hub so if I kill the rim my options are very limited, and it has straight pull spokes which are a pain to deal with.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Hey man
I have the ADD expert wheelset. I would of loved to get the pro, but I saved a hundred bucks that I didn't have at the time!
I love my wheels. They are light. Mine are 2100 grams and the Pro is like 200grams lighter! The hubs has great engagement at 72 points with a 6 pawl I think it is? The wheel spuds amazing and engages quickly. Mine have a dent or two in them but those are from some hard hits I have taken. I case a few things, I ride burly trails and plow through sections hitting square edges and only a few dents to show.

The straight pull spokes aren't that bad to deal with. I have knocked a few out. But when you pull them out roughly and super aggressively It can bend the eyelet where the spoke goes into the hub. I had this happen once when my derailuer broke and went through my wheel and destroyed a row of spikes. Thankfull the customer support is amazing at the place and the fixed it free of charge. Even sent out a wheel next day air to make sure I didn't miss my race!

Yes they are tubeless compatible. I have a stand flow strip in mine and it's great! I really like it!

The company is great to deal with. The whole Hayes group is great. They are super
Understanding and down to earth peopleb really a great bunch of guys to deal with should you have any problems.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My buddy rides the pro ADD wheels and can't say enough good things about them. I haven't ridden them myself, but he rides hard and dents wheels a lot and likes these so far.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
" I just destroyed another wheel(Mavic 729 laced to DT 340)"

wow, I am 195lb and on my second season on my 729 rims laced to Hadleys with nothing but a few scrathes and dents. Who is your wheel builder and what pressure are you running?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
That rim won't be as strong as the 729 (the standard for strength) and the 28 spokes won't be as stiff. You have a decent hub already so build a new 729 on it. If your spokes are fine you can reuse them and be back up and running for $100.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
" I just destroyed another wheel(Mavic 729 laced to DT 340)"

wow, I am 195lb and on my second season on my 729 rims laced to Hadleys with nothing but a few scrathes and dents. Who is your wheel builder and what pressure are you running?

It's actually a 240 hub. I was drunk last night when I made the thread haha. I use a really good local wheel builder in Santa Barbara and typically run 28psi front and 30psi rear. I'm about 185lbs btw. To be honest I'd be surprised if any wheel would hold hold up after what I put it through.

Thanks for the info y'all. I am mostly just considering these as my current 240 hubs are from 2007 and are getting a bit old. I'll probably just end up lacing up another 729. That will probably only set me back $170 or so by the time I get new spokes and get it built.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
In my opinion you have the best rear hub available. If it feels old order some ceramic bearings and give it a rebuild. Unless Sun Doubletrack/Intense Mag30s are still available (heavy) the 729 is the strongest rim you'll find.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
In my opinion you have the best rear hub available. If it feels old order some ceramic bearings and give it a rebuild. Unless Sun Doubletrack/Intense Mag30s are still available (heavy) the 729 is the strongest rim you'll find.
I have a brand new double track hanging in my garage.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I've got one (Mag 30) laced with 36 14g spokes and brass nips to a Hadley hub. Without a doubt the burliest front wheel ever. I built it in 2001 and used it for years till I got sick of the weight. I don't know what to do with it now, mabe put it on my 105cc dirtbike?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've got one (Mag 30) laced with 36 14g spokes and brass nips to a Hadley hub. Without a doubt the burliest front wheel ever. I built it in 2001 and used it for years till I got sick of the weight. I don't know what to do with it now, mabe put it on my 105cc dirtbike?
Ha ha, I've also got a front wheel like that but laced to a DT Swiss hugi FR. I have no f-ing clue what I'll do with it. It's part of my backup wheelset, which I think I've run maybe twice since it got that title.