Quantcast

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BEET beer???? Yikes... not sure I would even want to try that one! (Although I recently had oyster porter or stout, so I guess that beet beer wouldn't be too weird?)
I had an oyster stout and found out (via jonKranked) that Guinness has oyster in it as well.

The oyster stout was delicious, and I freakin' hate oysters.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I haven't decided on a homebrew to make for Monkeyfest yet. I may try a brown sugar ale - I really like Lagunita's Brown Shugga'.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
I haven't decided on a homebrew to make for Monkeyfest yet. I may try a brown sugar ale - I really like Lagunita's Brown Shugga'.
Make something totally out there... like guava or starfruit or something nuts.

I really want to get into home brewing one of these days. How hard is it to do?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Make something totally out there... like guava or starfruit or something nuts.

I really want to get into home brewing one of these days. How hard is it to do?
It's not hard. It's just methodical. Part cooking, part chemistry - so there's some art to it, like cooking, but there's a lot of just careful methodical steps to take to make sure it'll come out well.

Sanitation is paramount. Keep your yeast happy. Don't be impatient. Most of the rest of the stuff is just finding what tastes best to you and what tips and tricks you like most.

Kind of like biking: there's no doubt about the best way to set up a drivetrain. It's scientific and mechanical and straightforward and there's a fixed, expected result. There are rules and processes for things like bleeding brakes and building wheels.

Whether you like your tire pressure soft, or the way you rig up your brake bleeding setup with four coat hangars, six rubber bands and a stuffed Wood Duck, though... that's up to you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OK, serious question here: Do you like milk stouts? I have never tried one. I'm actually scared to. Milk tends to destroy my insides.
I've tried a couple milk stouts and really am not a fan. I am always open to having my mind changed - I'll try them when I have the opportunity. But thus far, no, I don't like milk stouts.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've tried a couple milk stouts and really am not a fan. I am always open to having my mind changed - I'll try them when I have the opportunity. But thus far, no, I don't like milk stouts.
I used to feel the same way. It seems a lot of brewers go overboard with the lactose to get the mouthfeel they're looking for and, since lactose isn't fermentable, end up with an overly sweet beer. We recently did a chocolate stout using oatmeal and lactose for body. The resulting sweetness really helped bring the chocolate out.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I used to feel the same way. It seems a lot of brewers go overboard with the lactose to get the mouthfeel they're looking for and, since lactose isn't fermentable, end up with an overly sweet beer. We recently did a chocolate stout using oatmeal and lactose for body. The resulting sweetness really helped bring the chocolate out.
Now that's a beer I would try (despite the tummy ache I would get from the lactose)