Quantcast

Suggestions of commuter worthy backpack that can fit a 17" laptop?

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Right now I'm considering the Ospery momentum The price is pretty expensive at ~$150, but I like the features and the fact it has a rain cover. I'm always paranoid about getting caught in a torrential downpour albeit rare and the contents getting soaked. Patagonia has a black-hole-pack that's water resistant but at around the same price. Does anyone know of less expensive options worth considering? There are other backpacks that have water proof material, but the zippers still leak.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
The only time I need to fit my laptop in my backpack is when I travel via air. The water proof/resistance is nice so that you have dry cloths to change into etc. when you reach your destination.

I looked at those dry packs but I'm also concerned about comfort and breath-ability hence my orginal 2 choices. I think either of those will work fine but basically looking for cheaper options.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
I agree with SS on the need for waterproof bag in any backpack. Do you mean "cheaper" and yet still fancy? If so ..then I'm no help.
Cuz I picked one up at Dick's I think for like $40 last year. Strap it on the motorcycle for ride to work, but only on nice days. It's has a laptop sleeve, but it's nothing fancy.

Last edited:

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Get a roll top bag, they work great for keeping water out. I have a tim buk 2 that I use every day, and dont think my stuff on the inside has ever gotten wet. The laptop compartment has a zipper that lets some in though. I really like the roll top becuase it is pretty slim, but can expand top fit a ton of stuff. Ive done some huge grocery trips, and had handlebars and drafting tubes poking out the top. Its pretty durable as far as I can tell, going on 2 years now and you wouldn't know it. Its pretty basic for comfort unfortunately. Just straight canvas back section. When you really pack it, it gets pretty round, but I very rarely do that. I think it looks good, better than what a lot of people wear into work.

Chrome has a nicer one, much more waterproof (can be used as a cooler, also nice for rinsing out). It's a little smaller and a lot more expensive at $200 vs the $100 for the timbuk 2.