Quantcast

Suggestions for the small bike...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So I have a big dh bike that i am very happy with as well as a road bike to log the miles on, and i am happy with both, but the problem is the middle ground as there is a lot to cover. Currently the gap is being filled by a turner rail and it is a great 'play' bike but the seat tube is very slack and no front deraileur. Old man jumping, commuting/curb jumping, and everything short of long distance or climbing is super fun on the rail.

So the question is: iS there a short travel (<= 5")frame out there that will do all the rail will do, but also have a regular seat tube angle and the ability to run a double ring set up? Essentially a 4x ish bike that is beefy enough to jump and play on but that i can also raise the seat and put in ~15 mile trail (NW stile rocks and roots) ride.
thinking a 5 pack..or maybe a IH mkIII (but i have yet to se the IH sold a s a frame only)...any input would be apppreciated.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Try a Specialized Enduro. I love mine! I'm selling it to get a smaller one because I bought too big but in the right size they are go-anywhere, jump-anything bikes. They do everything from shuttle runs to XC races.

The bike is very manuverable and jumpy feeling, but it climbs and has gobs of traction off road. The travel disappears when you pedal but it's there for the big hits.

Plus, Specialized has a lifetime warranty. They're a great company to deal with.

Right now you may want to talk to your LBS as both complete '05 Enduro Experts and '05 S-works Enduro frames are on closeout from Specialized.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Prophet 4x? Blur 4x? Both have slacker HAs than most trailbikes, but still can run double rings and be ridden all day...

Enduro and Heckler are both great bikes, too.

If Turner still made 5" plates for the RFX, I'd suggest that as well.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
kona dawg or coiler
transition preston or new bottlerocket
santa cruz heckler
giant reign
specialized enduro

there are lots of bikes that fit that category,
honestly i would look at the kona dawg/coiler
they have full length seatposts and great geometry,
strong, not super heavy and not too much $$
the preston is alittle heavier than the dawg.. maybe not the coiler and comes as a frame set. or you could pick up an older kona for even less money.

i think most companies make a bike in this category
its just dependent on how much abuse your going to put the bike through, i know for a fact that the older kona stinkys(new coiler) could take huge hits and come back for more, also the newer banshee bikes have something like this can't remember what its called.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
MikeD said:
Prophet 4x? Blur 4x? Both have slacker HAs than most trailbikes, but still can run double rings and be ridden all day...

Enduro and Heckler are both great bikes, too.

If Turner still made 5" plates for the RFX, I'd suggest that as well.
You can make a "5pack" with a 6pack front end and 5spot rockers...it's something like that at least. I don't see the point, my 6pack/rfx is a great bike, great amount of travel.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sinister splinter mxs. 4 inches of travel, 15 inch seattube, front ring compatible, 1.5 inch headtube, can have the geo customly changed on the fly, and with an extra shock can be set up for 5,6,7 inches of travel

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think the best options would be:

-Specialized Enduro
-Splinter MXS
-Prophet MX

That depends on what you want. The Prophet is the most flickable and the Splinter is more big-hit capable. The Enduro is in the middle.