Quantcast

suggestions for dupont?

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Howdy. The roommate and myself have come up w/ a last minute idea of a ride over in Dupont this sunday. Its a place I've always seemed to miss out on, so we want to hit it up. Can anyone give me some recommended trails or loops out there?

I've ridden a number of trails over in Pisgah, hell a few last week w/ Tom and Profro and some others, and I tend to prefer the gradual-to-moderate climbs followed by fun-as-sh!t decents. I'm just looking for a good, fun loop of trails which will last in the 3 + hour range...and hopefully won't completely kill the roommate in 45 minutes.

Thanks for any advice ya'll.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Most of dupont is shorter and steeper rather than long and mellow. Head to the Corn Mill Shoals parking lot off (I think) cascade lake rd. I'm not gonna post directions bc I'm lazy but look at the map in the parking lot and try to ride cedar/big rock, burnt mtn, and maybe pine tree down to the powerlines and back up the the falls at bridal veil. Lots of good riding up there I'm sure you'll find something.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
T-Pirate said:
Most of dupont is shorter and steeper rather than long and mellow. Head to the Corn Mill Shoals parking lot off (I think) cascade lake rd. I'm not gonna post directions bc I'm lazy but look at the map in the parking lot and try to ride cedar/big rock, burnt mtn, and maybe pine tree down to the powerlines and back up the the falls at bridal veil. Lots of good riding up there I'm sure you'll find something.

Right on. Thanks.

We're looking for good riding but nothing of a death march - the roommate would explode. Everyone I've spoken w/ tells me I really need to get over there, but they can't give me trail names or a loop.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Mr. Fresh,

I would park at the parking lot on Cascade Lake road. From there, cross the street and head up Big Rock trail, which is the slick rock trail (you will not hit slickrock until a little ways into the climb.). Climb to the top the descend to the slickrock all the way into the woods, and work your way through a few inersections to Bridal Veil Falls. Then climb down and under the waterfall to the other side. Then startworking your way to the Airstrip. Once on top of the Airstrip look for Airstrip trail, go down that. Then climb Mine Mountain to the top, then another good downhill. Then climb Burnt Mountain for one last descent to Corn Mill Shoals which takes you back to the parking lot. I believe that is about 20 miles.
The maps for the park are easy to read and intersections are well maked. I have had the best luck with navigating by picking a downhill I want to hit, then trying to find that one.

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Since DuPont has taken back over the plant property The road on the far side of the power lined leading to BV falls is closed.Those are some shredded up directions, Airstrip and Mine Mtn don't connnect and there's no way thats 20 miles. The best decent from the slickrock is down Big rock, and the best decent in the park is Burnt Mtn(ride it clockwise)

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
mtnbiker66 said:
Since DuPont has taken back over the plant property The road on the far side of the power lined leading to BV falls is closed.Those are some shredded up directions, Airstrip and Mine Mtn don't connnect and there's no way thats 20 miles. The best decent from the slickrock is down Big rock, and the best decent in the park is Burnt Mtn(ride it clockwise)
Yeah, after consulting the map and some trial and error and, we made a pretty good loop out there. Got lost, rode up some trails that would have been more fun to decend and rode some more. From mine mtn to laurel ridge to something or other to burnt mtn was a the best section and connections of trails we hit.

All in all, it was good. My roommate didn't die and we got to watch a few cute (but BITCHY!) horse girls fighting to load their beasts into the trailer. Then we drank mexi beers.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i gotta good suggestion for the place.

tip it up on about a 40degree angle.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Airstrip doesn't connect to Mine Mtn, but if you are at the bottom of Airstrip and want to start heading back, Mine Mountain would be a good destination. I usually pick a fgew DH's I want to hit and take a map then make it work.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I try to have fun on all kinds of rides. The dupont trip was fun. The snowshoe trip was fun. Two different types of riding, but I left both places smiling and wanting to return. And both places made me good and sore the next morning at work.