Quantcast

suggestions for 8 day trip to WV.

xcmudgirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
upstate NY
I'm planning a trip to WV for some mountain biking. I have a few places in mind (Big Bear/Coopers Rock), but am looking for more recommendations. I am an intermediate biker with a Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail, looking for some flowing XC singletrack. I don't really do drops or super technical stuff, but some is okay.

I have 8 days (including driving from NY) and am willing to spend a few days at one place and drive to another, possibly Maryland/DC area.

What are you recommendations??
Thanks!!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Snowshoe/Pocahontas County. There are over 100 miles of trails owned by Snowshoe. ¾ of Pocahontas County is either state or federal land. I can’t remember the exact number but there are a couple thousand miles of trails in the county. You could base out of Snowshoe and ride something new everyday. There is an article in bike magazine which names the Tea creek trail as best in WV, that is only 15 minutes or so from Snowshoe.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
If you want a true taste of West Virginia singletrack bliss and only have limited time, I would recommend three places in this order:

1. Canaan Valley
2. Snowshoe
3. Coopers Rock/Big Bear State Park

Canaan Valley is like nothing else in the state, region, or east coast for that matter. It's a truly unique riding experience that will be something you'll talk about for a very long time. You want rocks, roots, nasty mud, and epic singletrack.......with your choice of anywhere from 5 to 100+ miles in length..........Canaan Valley is the place! Base out of Davis and hit up Blackwater Bikes for all the details! Siriaani's and Blackwater Brewing are waiting for you after every ride.

Snowshoe, well, you can have a hell of a good time if you base out of Snowshoe and ride all of Pocahontas County like Denjen mentioned. The trails are rocky, rooty, and almost always wet....but they are also hard to find to the unknowing, so hook up with a guide from Elk River Touring Center or a local from Snowshoe. The Resort, Snowshoe Mtn, has a ton of awesome xc trails, but the real gems are in the lesser known areas of Pocahontas County.

Finally, Coopers Rock/Big Bear.....I grew up riding this stuff on a weekly basis. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks at Coopers. A little bit of everything for everyone at Big Bear. You can base out of Morgantown, which will provide any and all the night life entertainment you can handle! Stop in at Wamsley's Cycles and get the lowdown on any group rides or trail conditions. There are also some great locally-known and hidden trail networks throughout Morgantown, which the locals will be more than happy to show you if you ask nicely. Out of the three, this is the place that is more family friendly....as you can send the wife and kids shopping or checking out local tourist type things without making them feel like they are literally in the middle of nowhere. That said, if your looking to escape the hustle-n-bustle of a metro type area, hit the other two places.

That's just my take on a 24 year resident of WV, that grew up riding all over the state and still day-dream about riding in the state while sitting in my office here in DC today!

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia

turnerdhr

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
MORGANTOWN WV
If you want a true taste of West Virginia singletrack bliss and only have limited time, I would recommend three places in this order:

1. Canaan Valley
2. Snowshoe
3. Coopers Rock/Big Bear State Park

Canaan Valley is like nothing else in the state, region, or east coast for that matter. It's a truly unique riding experience that will be something you'll talk about for a very long time. You want rocks, roots, nasty mud, and epic singletrack.......with your choice of anywhere from 5 to 100+ miles in length..........Canaan Valley is the place! Base out of Davis and hit up Blackwater Bikes for all the details! Siriaani's and Blackwater Brewing are waiting for you after every ride.

Snowshoe, well, you can have a hell of a good time if you base out of Snowshoe and ride all of Pocahontas County like Denjen mentioned. The trails are rocky, rooty, and almost always wet....but they are also hard to find to the unknowing, so hook up with a guide from Elk River Touring Center or a local from Snowshoe. The Resort, Snowshoe Mtn, has a ton of awesome xc trails, but the real gems are in the lesser known areas of Pocahontas County.

Finally, Coopers Rock/Big Bear.....I grew up riding this stuff on a weekly basis. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks at Coopers. A little bit of everything for everyone at Big Bear. You can base out of Morgantown, which will provide any and all the night life entertainment you can handle! Stop in at Wamsley's Cycles and get the lowdown on any group rides or trail conditions. There are also some great locally-known and hidden trail networks throughout Morgantown, which the locals will be more than happy to show you if you ask nicely. Out of the three, this is the place that is more family friendly....as you can send the wife and kids shopping or checking out local tourist type things without making them feel like they are literally in the middle of nowhere. That said, if your looking to escape the hustle-n-bustle of a metro type area, hit the other two places.

That's just my take on a 24 year resident of WV, that grew up riding all over the state and still day-dream about riding in the state while sitting in my office here in DC today!
I agree Canaan/ Davis area has the best trails in the state..you will definitely enjoy your experience there..I live about 20 minutes from big bear and about 10 from coopers rock and they trails there are also a lot of fun..a lot of fast rocky singletrack..i have also been going to snowshoe since as long as i can remember and the best riding i have done there for what you are wanting to do is around the slatyfork area..i raced wvmba for about 10 years and that was one of my favorite places to ride..

Aug 30, 2002
Snow hoes
howdy-
yeah as mentioned defiantly check come check out pocahontas county. Call down to elk river at 304.572.3771 and we can point you in the direction of some badass trails. I work there and its my job to maintain trails/guide trips. My name is Jackson and I'm pretty easy to get ahold of, so pm if you like or ill see you out there. anyone notice who that stud is in BIKE on tea creek trail...

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
Valley falls state park is kind of hilly but definitely worth checking out. The trails are good and the park is beautiful. The race course is pretty much up one long hill and down another but there are several rt.s you can take and there are usually riders around to point you in the right direction