Quantcast

Suggest an indestructable rear wheel

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I need a new hoop for jumping and urban.

The rhyno lite is cracked and complaing when I ride it.

I need something that is going to last longer than a year as this one did.

Constraints: Going on a giant STP (135x10 frame) no more than $150 shipped, and it must be black so that I do not look too stupid with the front rhyno lite still on there.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
mammoths are pretty crappy. atom lab pimp or maybe an arrow racing rim. the atom labs are heavy, but strong as the dickens. for hubs, go for something that fits your budget and is reasonably beefy. you could just buy an atom lab rear wheel.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i have never seen a damaged 729.

3.1/deemax/823 yes, 721 yes, but 729/321, no never. i have a 729 built on a dimension thats been in my shed as a backup rim for anyone who rides with me and its perfectly true. i true it after each time its used but its still perfect. one kid who used it has cracked, taco'd, and dented many rims. he IS a hack!

i also used a pair for a couple seasons and didn't dent it. raced with 2 flats and ridden with plenty and its still perfect.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ok, lets all re-read his first post.

he wants something $150 shipped

the mammoth will be fine if you keep it true. replace the QR axle with a bolt on.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
There is a version of the Mag30 in Black. I think it's called a doubletrack. Spokes and a rim should be less than $150. Make sure to use brass nipples. 14/15 DT competition spokes will work great.

Build it yourself. It is nearly impossible to screw up the build on a mag30. PM me if you need lacing instructions or refer to Jobst Brandt's website. Building your own wheels is not as hard as it may seem.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Dude, this guy is on a budget of 150. I dont think he can shill out 600+ for DeeMax. How about a Bombshell Fatdaddy? I have them on my Free-ride/DH bike. I rode them 12 time this summer at Whistler, and a sh*t load on my local trails. They are still spinning true with no flat spots or wobbles. Pricepoint has a whole set on special for $250, normally $500! If you are in the market, and dont mind spending $100 more to get a whole wheel set, then go Bombshell.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
There is a version of the Mag30 in Black. I think it's called a doubletrack. Spokes and a rim should be less than $150. Make sure to use brass nipples. 14/15 DT competition spokes will work great.

Build it yourself. It is nearly impossible to screw up the build on a mag30. PM me if you need lacing instructions or refer to Jobst Brandt's website. Building your own wheels is not as hard as it may seem.

I have been meaning to learn how to build wheels. I'm pretty good with a wrench but I don't have a truing stand or anything. I'm pretty sure you can get a good rim for 50-60 bucks. It's your fine hubs that I'm afraid of buying. My current one really isn't worth keeping on the bike.

TROUT

Chimp
Sep 9, 2006
ELK GROVE
Dude, this guy is on a budget of 150. I dont think he can shill out 600+ for DeeMax. How about a Bombshell Fatdaddy? I have them on my Free-ride/DH bike. I rode them 12 time this summer at Whistler, and a sh*t load on my local trails. They are still spinning true with no flat spots or wobbles. Pricepoint has a whole set on special for $250, normally $500! If you are in the market, and dont mind spending $100 more to get a whole wheel set, then go Bombshell.
whoops. sorry i didnt read that part. ive had a few to many i guess:cheers:

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
I highly recommend a Mavic 729.
I highly recommend you have Go-Ride.com build it for you.
Send em a hub if you have to.
It really doesn't cost that much at all.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
syncros dps 32 ... baddass, cheap, and they come in white, for hubs i'd go syncros as well for the budget

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Cool. Tell that to my rear 729 with 14 cracks in it. Amazingly, its still going.

Bombshell Fat Daddy is where its at. Beefy, but cheap as hell.
Word...
I run like 25psi and no flat spots, even though I have cased some good sized hits.

Yeah, I had a bombshell fatboy and was fairly pleased with it. dented a bit easily tho. maybe the fat daddy is burlier
I believe the Fatdaddy rims have a wider footprint, allowing the tire to expand and protect the wheel. Also, I think they have a burlier sidewall.

I built a set of xt single tracks with 15ga (Ithink) spokes by myself. Still true, no dents. Just missed the tension by 3-4 ftlbs. Took them to my lbs and put 'em in the stand and they were really close to true off the bat.
Building wheels yourself is easy. You just need some time for the first set, cuz you will make mistakes.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i have the supergo version on my other bike and i'm very happy with the wheelset for a lighter fr rig. I just think that urban would eat those rims. I haven't dented them yet but. . .

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Lol.. never seen a undamaged 729. $hit I've broke three rears all built by prof. wheel builders. (1 Go-Ride Builder, 2 Local Shop MTB NUT) All my fronts are cool but the backs just go to hell. Santa Barbara is a wheel breaker town.

Running Arrows on my Bombprof bike right know and they are pretty crazy. I did put a flat spot on the rear but that was my bad, flatted and kept riding. Their way stronger then the 729's but they added a pound. But I got two for $100. so you can't really go wrong.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
Lol.. never seen a undamaged 729. $hit I've broke three rears all built by prof. wheel builders. (1 Go-Ride Builder, 2 Local Shop MTB NUT) All my fronts are cool but the backs just go to hell. Santa Barbara is a wheel breaker town.

Running Arrows on my Bombprof bike right know and they are pretty crazy. I did put a flat spot on the rear but that was my bad, flatted and kept riding. Their way stronger then the 729's but they added a pound. But I got two for $100. so you can't really go wrong.
how? i dont believe you can ruin a 729 unless you ruined yourself. i've cased hard enough to throw me off my bike, snaped a fork and dented other rims but my mavics were in perfect condition. i gotta see pictures or else i dont believe it.

and the guy who said the syncros is cheap: i'm pretty sure it costs more than the 729. around 130 where the mavic is 100-120. i payed 350 for a set with xt rear and 20mm front.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
how? i dont believe you can ruin a 729 unless you ruined yourself. i've cased hard enough to throw me off my bike, snaped a fork and dented other rims but my mavics were in perfect condition. i gotta see pictures or else i dont believe it.
321 with straight gauge dt swiss 2.0

I'm core.

That said, I'd recommend getting a 729 built with dt swiss 2.0 straight gauge spokes.

Fairly indestructible

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
wow! how exactly did you do that? must have been from multiple cases to weaken the wheel. the only other d321 i've seen mangled is in the movie JIB i think when a guy does a gap from a road to a grass hill on a big bike and tacos the front wheel. its right infront of a major highway.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
wow! how exactly did you do that? must have been from multiple cases to weaken the wheel. the only other d321 i've seen mangled is in the movie JIB i think when a guy does a gap from a road to a grass hill on a big bike and tacos the front wheel. its right infront of a major highway.
Nope, one case on a decent sized drop.

Wheels break. It's a fact of life. I've broken one other one that I hit so hard it broke the 15mm thru axle on my bike too.

Considering those are literally the only two dh wheels I've broken in 6 years of using mavic 721s or 729s, I'm not complaining.

I still happily use the same builds.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I got go-ride to build me a complete arrow DHX wheelset for around 300 so you should be able to get a rear wheel for your price range. The DHX rims are ridiculously strong and I got a XT rear hub (Same spacing as you talked about), and nothing easier than swapping out to a bolt through axle on em just get any 10X1 mm cromo axle in the length you need they even make en in tadem length.
Also if strength is what you're looking for consider going for 36 spokes. I thought the deemax ran under 30 spokes I wouldn't really recommend that for urban riding.