Quantcast

Stupid question, but i need an awnser badly...

stock_tires

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
Ok, my delima is this. I have a 21 speed MTB, and the delrailer isnt working properly. It wont shift into 1st and if you go past 6th on the dial its jumps through 7th and off the rear cogs.

When im in 6th, its in 7th. I know someone here knows how to adjust a delrailer. BTW, all I can tell you is that its a shimano. Im kinda new to the MTB scene, just coming from riding BMX for 9 years.:biggrin:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There are three parts to adjust: main wire and two limit screws.

Search here for "limit screws". I'd go into detail, but I gotta run.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Turn the barrel adjuster where the cable housing meets the shifter or derailur. If you go too far one way the chain won't shift far enough, if you go too far the other way the chain might fall off the sprocket and get caught in the spokes or bind up between the frame and sprocket so be careful.

These kinds of problems usually happen due to cable stretch, where the indicator would say 7 when your chain is on gear 6, it sounds like you have the opposite problem though, definately take a look at the limit screws then fine tune with the barrel adjuster. If you're having a tough time figuring it out take the bike to a good shop and say you'll pay them their normal rate for a tune up plus an extra $10 if they'll show you how to adjust the derailur.

stock_tires

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
Ill be checking those things out tomorrow. This bike is mostly transportation to school and from school after cross country practice.

Im completely worn out today though, we had a long run (15 miles) and then had 6 sets of stadium steps. Would anyone know if its possible to convert from the twist style shifter to a thumb style shifter? Id love to have a thumb shifter, they work better for me for some reason.:biggrin:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Would anyone know if its possible to convert from the twist style shifter to a thumb style shifter? Id love to have a thumb shifter, they work better for me for some reason.:biggrin:
You can easily switch them; however, use the same manufacturer as I think the shifters and derailleures from the different manufacturer are incompatible with other manufacturers.

Also, you'll want to use the shifters that are compatible with your gearing. Like I don't think a 9-speed shifter will work with a 7-speed cassette.

Hopefully someone that keeps up on this stuff will chime in.

Lastly, if you're drivetrain is old, you might want to hold off a while and upgrade the whole thing as it nears the end.

stock_tires

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
I was comtemplating doing that, but if i upgrade this bike, im saving the stock perts so I can sell it later in the original condition. All the good parts ive bought would work nicely on a new bike.:biggrin:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I'll put money down that says your derailleur hanger and/or derailleur is bent. If it shifts so far that it throws into the spokes you probably laid it down and bent it. Limit screws will probably keep it from over shifting, but if it's bent it won't ever shift right.

Just stand the bike upright, shift into the middle ring and a middle cog in the back, stand behind the bike and see if the derailleur hangs straight. If it doesn't, your bike shop will be able to bend it back or get a new one.

stock_tires

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
I'll put money down that says your derailleur hanger and/or derailleur is bent. If it shifts so far that it throws into the spokes you probably laid it down and bent it. Limit screws will probably keep it from over shifting, but if it's bent it won't ever shift right.

Just stand the bike upright, shift into the middle ring and a middle cog in the back, stand behind the bike and see if the derailleur hangs straight. If it doesn't, your bike shop will be able to bend it back or get a new one.
I checked it out just now, and its bent as hell.I guess Ill maybe buy a new derailleur soon. Could anyone recomend one?

My bike is a 21 speed, 7 in the rear and 3 in the front. Im not looking to spend very much on this thing...not until I get where im serious about riding.:banana: