Quantcast

Stripped bolt

vdk

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
I was adjusting the lever reach on my hayes HFX 9 HD brakes when I accidentely stripped the bolt. This one felt rather weak in comparison to the other one on the other lever with which I had no problem, but anyway I am having hard time getting it out and I was wondering if anybody has any solutions before I start taking out the plyers which seems rather drastic. Thanks. -vdk

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Did you stip the bolt head or the actual bolt. If it's the bolt head sears makes an easy out kit that will remove the bolt without a problem. If it was the actual bolt you might have to go with the plyers to pull it out.

vdk

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
Well I stripped the bolt head, but on further inspection ( I just took another look at it) I saw that it kinda split, so.......... I don´t know I think I am gonna try to get it out with the plyers but I am worried that I might damage the thread inside the lever. Any extra advice would be appreciated -vdk.

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
i'd leave it on until you REALLY needed to remove it, if there's damage to the threads. you probably damaged the threads to the lever or will when you remove the bolt. but then again i can't see what your talking about. good luuck

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I've done this twice on Hayes brakes, once each time to a Mag lever and to an HFX lever. Post a reply if you have not yet fixed this, I'll recount me experience for ya'.

The easy-out will probably not work, because I don't think you have enough room to get in there to insert the easy-out bit and then torque on it.

EDIT: I was a moron for even thinking the easy-out might work, so please ignore this post, and refer to my response to Kornphlake.

vdk

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
I haven't fixed it yet, I figured I'd just leave it until it actually needs adjusting but if you have any recommendations, please let me know....thanks -vdk

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by vdk
I haven't fixed it yet, I figured I'd just leave it until it actually needs adjusting but if you have any recommendations, please let me know....thanks -vdk
OK, for the record, let me state that I, personally, did not twice strip out the heads of those tiny bolts: I did it once to my MAGs, and my girlfriend did it once to her 9s, just so you don't think I'm a moron who does not learn from his mistakes!

With the HFX-9, it's a lot easier to fix than the Mag, because you don't need to buy the bladder/pushrod assembly.

Get a copy of the Hayes manual for your year, it's online if you don't already own it:Hayes link
1) Remove the lever pin. Don't lose the plastic washers.
2) Unscrew the lever off the pushrod, which is the stripped bolt. This may be kind of a pain, and you may need to hold the pushrod with needle-nose plyers while you spin the lever.
3) Using a pair of fine-pointed circlip plyers, remove the retaining ring and small washer. The pushrod should pop out.
4) Replace the pushrod with a new one from your LBS. They probably don't have one in stock, so order it at least a week in advance of needing it. You'll probably have better luck scavaging one from a dead brake from their graveyard bin.
5. Replace the washer and retaining ring.
6. Thread the lever back on.
7. Install the lever pin.
8. Send the blown-out pushrod to Hayes and ask them why they use a soft metal bolt when something else should be used.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You should be able to find a small left hand drill bit, drill into the screw and it should grab a little bit then slowly back out. Just be careful to drill straight into the center of the screw not into the threads.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Kornphlake
You should be able to find a small left hand drill bit, drill into the screw and it should grab a little bit then slowly back out. Just be careful to drill straight into the center of the screw not into the threads.
An easyout won't work, because the screw is just the threaded end of a push-rod, which is held in place by a retainer clip (please refer to the above-noted hyperlink for the exploded mechanical diagram of the Hayes brakes). You'll never be able to extract it by that method, you've got to remove it.