Quantcast

Stripped Allen Bolt, HELP!!!!

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
I was taking off my wheel on my manitou and one of those four little bolts up front that help keep the 20mm axel in place got stripped.
I seriously need to get this thing out, anyone have any suggestions????

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
i am lookin at my manitou right now and if you can get it with a bigger allen you might wanna tap it and try and do the screw out thing cause theres not really any other ways to get it out

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
i am lookin at my manitou right now and if you can get it with a bigger allen you might wanna tap it and try and do the screw out thing cause theres not really any other ways to get it out

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
The head is very visible, its just the inside of the bolt is all round out now. Think the slot and screw driver thing might work?? Where can i get easy outs???

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
BIG E, what do you mean by get a bigger allen and tap it?? Tap it as in how?? Sorry if i sound stupid, but this is new to me.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
you can get an ez-out kit at any hardware store. i think what big e is saying will only work if there is SOME bite left in the allen hole. you get the next size up, and tap it in with a hammer as you lightly turn. only works sometimes. ez-outs will take a bolt out of the head is broken off, so if all else fails, they most likely will not

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
try using needle nosed pliars

i stripped one of mine and got them out without any problems with the pliars.

i dont know why you guys always suggest overly complex solutions to simple problems

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Tools: Dremel, Visegrips, beefy straightslot screwdriver (square shaft is ideal. Sears craftsman is what I use)

Dremel a slot w/ a cutting wheel. Insert screwdriver in new slot. Grab screwdriver w/ visegrips. Boom its out. I just did the same thing a few weeks ago. Piece of cake.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
V10 PA said:
I was taking off my wheel on my manitou and one of those four little bolts up front that help keep the 20mm axel in place got stripped.
I seriously need to get this thing out, anyone have any suggestions????
at work, we have this liquid goo with metal shaving in it which you first apply to your stripped or almost rounded allen bolt. The metal shavings fills up the gap between the allen key and the missing material of the bolt, you then unscrew the bolt out as normal. Unfortunately I can't remember what the thing is called just now. Will check up when I get back to work.
If anyone has already mention this then please ignore.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
EZ outs and slotting with a dremel are the simple solutions, the complex solution would be to take the fork to a machine shop with a hole popper and have them burn the screw out.

red

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
connecticut
If the screw head is accessible just take a hack saw blade and cut a slot in it...then remove it with a nice big screw driver.I've done this many times...make sure you are pushing down really hard on the screw driver because you only get one chance...

If it's really tight you can put an adjustable wrench right near the tip of the screw driver(on the flat part near where it's into the screw) to help get some leverage...

DHMagnum

Chimp
May 2, 2002
michigan
This is easier than you think. If you can get to the head of the screw you can take a small pair of vice grips and clamp on to the head and unscrew. If the head is not visable you will have to get an easy out ( go to hardware store to get) and find one that you have to tap into the head so it can get a grip on the head and unscew. If this does not work you are going to have to drill out. You will need a good bit. allen screws are hard to drll. Once you have drilled you can take an easy out and tap in to the screw and pull out. If the scew has been loctited in it will make all these processes a little bit harder. Take your time and don't get into a hurry. If you mess up then you have opened a new can of worms.