Quantcast

stoopid p'bike isht

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Some machine built trails do try waayyy too hard to set themselves apart, I'd be bewildered if hiking and coming upon one.
I've ridden one of those, roller roller roller grade reversal roller berm roller roller berm roller grade reversal roller berm roller grade reversal roller all in 14 feet of trail. They're a joy to ride.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I've ridden one of those, roller roller roller grade reversal roller berm roller roller berm roller grade reversal roller berm roller grade reversal roller all in 14 feet of trail. They're a joy to ride.

If you enjoy Merrell you should see what Alex is building just off the Turnpike in Ohio.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If you enjoy Merrell you should see what Alex is building just off the Turnpike in Ohio.
I do enjoy Merrell, I was referring to bullwinkle in copper harbor, it's the worst half mile of trail I have ever ridden.

More details on this new trail near the turnpike? west of cleveland I am hoping (would then be close enough to check out on a day drive)

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I do enjoy Merrell, I was referring to bullwinkle in copper harbor, it's the worst half mile of trail I have ever ridden.

More details on this new trail near the turnpike? west of cleveland I am hoping (would then be close enough to check out on a day drive)
Directly South of Cleveland where 80 crosses the Cuyahoga Valley. It will be tight but probably worth it (or an afternoon stop on the way to a 7 Springs weekend.

Twice the elevation of his Michigan trail with WAY bigger jumps and berms. There will be 10 miles open by the Spring with an additional couple trail systems connected by rail trail. Depending on the loop it will be possible to knock down 60-70 miles with only about 2-3 on the road.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
RC on point as always.

As he correctly states, mountainbikers have been building trails for themselves for a long time. Yet at the same time pretends like the 'borrowed use' of the 80s is the predominant paradigm. The day I see double the amount of equestrians and hikers that show up to trail building days (which would still equal about half of the bikers who show up), then maybe his point will have merit. You build it, you dictate it. As much as I hate 90% of mountainbiker built trails, I've got no leg to stand on when it comes to other peoples' hard work. It may suck but I didn't do it so my opinion means jack. If it's mountainbikers showing up then that's the result.

The idea that mountainbikers need to pay it forward for other uses is laughable. Because only someone who doesn't actually go out on these build days would think that all the multi-use trails going in on the sweat of mountainbikers' backs is something that doesn't happen. It does. Everywhere. It may be different in brocal but from what I've seen, it's absolutely mountainbikers doing the majority of the heavy lifting these days. On trails that are going to suck to ride a bike on, but still create multi-use trails to get to pretty places.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
RC has never heard the phrase "different strokes for different folks" has he?

Not every trail needs to be gnar, but if mountain bikers are building a trail, why would they not built it to be fun on a bike? As a guy who's hiked many miles of MTB trail, because I suck at riding with shovels and picks, I can assure you, they're plenty hike able. every single jump or drop I've built has had a roller or bypass line for riders who don't want to get that pitted, and hikers. We also try to build MTB trails a long way away from parking lots, the average hiker won't get anywhere close to a jump or drop, and we keep the access trails to the MTB trails nice and smooth because no features are going to last there anyway.

as for horses, fuck horses, kill me all, fire up the grill and I'll bring the potatoe salad and beer. If there was ever a species that has long outlived its purpose and we can go ahead and let go extinct, it's horses.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Directly South of Cleveland where 80 crosses the Cuyahoga Valley. It will be tight but probably worth it (or an afternoon stop on the way to a 7 Springs weekend.

Twice the elevation of his Michigan trail with WAY bigger jumps and berms. There will be 10 miles open by the Spring with an additional couple trail systems connected by rail trail. Depending on the loop it will be possible to knock down 60-70 miles with only about 2-3 on the road.
Thanks for the info, we will likely check it out, we ride Mohican occasionally and that's not a terrible drive, be cool to check this out and hit the mohican stuff.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I see MBA-style photo shoots have crept into pinkbike bicycle reviews :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I see MBA-style photo shoots have crept into pinkbike bicycle reviews :)
oh the writing...I'm about 90% for guessing who the author is by the ad/article content. Usually by the second paragraph.

If it's fatbikes or 29ers, there's about a 75% chance it's richard cheese anyways.