Quantcast

Stock DHX oil weight

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Does anyone know this? My dhx 4.0 is in need of a rebuild and the mountains are closed, so why not. Im about to order some silkolene RSF but need to know the stock weight for a baseline.

Im also looking to put in a little lighter weight oil, the shock has felt overdamped since day 1.

2.5w? 5w? 10w?

thanks

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Hmm. Its unclear what year it is as giant has offered this frame in this color for some years now, it could be either 04,05,or 06. I bought it in 06, but who knows how long they had it for.

Is there any other way I can tell the year? I guess Ill just order 5 and 7 weight oil, start at 5 weight and if thats too low Ill go to 7wt. Im thinking its probably an 05 though.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
All the info is here:
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/images/content/motorcycle/PVD-ISO-Viscosity-Data.gif

The stock Fox oil is a Torco RSF Medium (31.82cst).
Your options in Silkolene are:
Pro RSF 2.5wt (13.6cst)
Pro RSF 5wt (26.70cst)
Pro RSF 7.5wt (37.19cst)

So if you want lighter damping, i'd probably suggest a mix of the 2.5 and 5, or if you feel you are getting way too much damping (pretty unlikely with a DHX...) then 2.5 on it's own. Good choice in oils by the way, the silkolene stuff is a good oil and is a better oil than the stock torco on paper.

As a sidenote, i'm not sure about the validity of what dhkid said re: fox changing from 7 to 10wt. The Torco RSF (which is what fox use, float fluid is this stuff rebadged), is just labelled light and medium. Not sure if there even is a "heavy". Sounds like some fox guy had more marketing talk than brains in my opinion, and going to a heavier oil doesn't make sense since i'm pretty sure DHX's haven't seen any valving changes over its time. So i'd personally just assume that it uses the standard Torco RSF Medium regardless of year model.

PS. Before someone says that the Torco RFF (different) is labelled 5wt through to 20wt, that is not what fox use, as that is a fork fluid with lower temperature stability.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
the 05 has the longer bottom out piece... i think the valve is sticking out. then they made that shorter the following years.
Definately. The blue bottom adj knob is bigger on the 05. The grip (knurled) area sticks out a little (bigger diameter) than the rest of the knob. The 06 has a knob that is the same diameter the entire way.

Just so you know, the 'weight' of oil tells you NOTHING about the oil. you can easily find '10 wt' oils that are thiner than 7.5 or 5 wt oils. What you need to know to compare oils is the Viscosity index and the Viscosity in centistokes.

Check here: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

edit: I got beat, Right on Udi.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Thanks everyone. I guess Ill order some 5 and 2.5 and mix. Not that it seems to matter anymore as you guys say the oil weight hasnt changed, but since mine is a dhx 4.0 I dont have the bottom out adjuster so I cant see the differences.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
As a sidenote, i'm not sure about the validity of what dhkid said re: fox changing from 7 to 10wt.
thats what i got from the fox service center in singapore.
once i change out my 06 dhx oil to 7.5 silkolene rsf, if it feels less danmped then it would be right.