Quantcast

Stem?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm looking for a shorter stem for my Kona Dawg as I'm starting to dabble in some "light" freeriding. I've been looking primarily at the Azonic Shorty. Any other recomendations?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
That's all anybody can recommend? How about Race Face Diabolus, Easton Vice? What do all of you ride? I know there are some huckers out there...give up the skinny on stems! :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
well, there's a reason for no other comments - the "skinny on stems" is that they all work pretty much the exact same. The only differences that matter are the color and weight (aside from the length/rise).

Get whatever makes you happy, it's like obsessing over your tubes.

Thomson has a unique clamp that doesn't have any exposed bolts to whack your knee on, which is nice. It's also low-stack-height. The only problem is it only comes in 50mm and 70mm 0* rise if you're looking at the short ones.

The Shorty isn't very good - most people find that they have to cut them off if they've been ridden hard.

SIC is awesome, they're a small east coast company that makes some very nice stuff.

The Vice is pretty useless IMHO, it's heavy and if you want that much adustability, get two stems, it's not that hard to deal with. I don't see the point. Hybrid bikes use that stuff as a selling point, I don't think DH bikes need it.

The Race Face is cool. Nothing good or bad to say about it.

The only thing I would suggest is that you NOT get a stem with a 2-bolt face plate. It's not as secure.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thank you DBR. I was just curious what other people used and if they would recommend what they are currently using. I'm hearing good things about the Race Face so maybe I'll turn my focus in that direction.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
those are cool. My personal fave is Thomson, I've used them for years (looong before they were a sponsor!). But they're expensive.

Have you looked at the ultra-beefy but not too heavy Easton EA70 stem? Easton adverts some strength numbers on it that make it sound more DH than its XC weight suggests it would be.

Special hint: it's clearing at $19 at one of the big three discount whore-stores. Surf when necessary. :monkey:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Cool, keep the suggestions coming! I think I've narrowed it down to either a Thompson 50mm or 70mm/0 degree...or a FSA FR-200 50mm or 70mm/6 degree rise. It's hard to judge a stem just by a pic, so I'm off to the LBS to look at some different sizes in person, upclose and personal.
My Kona will be going uphill as well as down, so I'm leaning away from the 50mm length as I fear it will really affect my climbing. Thoughts on that? Will the difference between 50mm and 70mm be that noticable? Whichever I choose is replacing a 90mm/15 degree.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would go with a 50mm if you're looking for a significant difference in cockpit feel.. You can always put the 90mm back on for XC days. I don't find my 50mm to be that much of a hinderance when climbing.

If you go with a Thomson (which I have), just be careful and patient and follow the instructions when installing it. Lots of people have trouble with the stem twisting but it's only because lots of people take a hamfisted multi-tool to the clamp mechanism and 5 seconds later, assume it's tight. If you do that, you'll have a very stiff, very lightweight, and beautiful stem.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I have an azonic shorty on my heckler, works fine. Other good stems are made by woodman, nyc freeride, x-lite (british, hard to get in US), and some old Kooka dh stems are good (ebay).

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
I like the powertools(khs brand) DH stems, great value...cost about half of what other DH stems cost...other to consider are the raceface diabolous(looks really cool more than anything) and the azonic shorty is alright, incredible hard to get on and off.

Thomson are probably the best imo, if you are concerned about weight than that is the stem for you.