Quantcast

Starting off.

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Ive been riding a Xc/all mountain bike for a while now, for just about everything. Xc, real light DH and hitting up some local single track but ive started to get way more into Dh lately.

I was wondering what a good bike to start with would be. any suggestions?
I wouldnt be launching it off 40 foot cliffs and i wouldnt be racing it any time in the near future.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
What's your budget? I usually recommend that people just getting started try to find a used bike with a little life left in it. There are a lot of folks out there (myself included) who just decide to get something different even though their old bikes are still in great shape, and these types of used bikes can usually be had for a gigantic discount off retail.

--JP

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Agreed. Buy a used ride from somebody who "needs" something different. You'll find huge discounts on bikes that can be ridden for several years. Avoid lightweight junk, stick with something that's a little weighty, as it'll last longer and won't get mangled when you crash. Try to figure out an appropriate size first, either by asking around, riding other people's bikes, or getting fitted via a bike shop. DH bike sizing isn't an exact science, in fact it's kind of totally random.

If you really want to buy new, mongoose was a good suggestion, I would have said iron horse, but they're tits up. Don't worry too much about the componentry at first, stick with something that fits you, has good geometry for your riding style, and will require minimal maintenance.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Agreed, used is the way to go for your first DH bike. That way you can see if you really like it and you will have a chance to try out other people's bikes before you buy a new bike.

SPAM: I have a GT DHi in great shape that I only rode for a year that I would let go for $1,000. That's a complete bike.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Agreed, used is the way to go for your first DH bike. That way you can see if you really like it and you will have a chance to try out other people's bikes before you buy a new bike.

SPAM: I have a GT DHi in great shape that I only rode for a year that I would let go for $1,000. That's a complete bike.
It's true...I've seen the GT, 1k..that's an assume deal.

J

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
I was looking for something under 1500. That GT sounds like a great deal, I might be able to scrounge up that money in a couple months.

What year is it? and sizing info?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I was looking for something under 1500. That GT sounds like a great deal, I might be able to scrounge up that money in a couple months.

What year is it? and sizing info?
2001 Large USA made
XTR drivetrain
Boxxer fork (2002)
Hayes brakes

Like I said, I only rode it for 2001 and a couple of times in 2004 while I was waiting for a new frame.

Again, there are deals on good used bikes. Once you find out if you like DH, then you can buy your dream bike and sell the used one for about the same as you paid for it.