Quantcast

starting a build

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Stem and bars look suspect. Is that an 8" front rotor?? Why??

Rear brake line looks goofy as well. I don't like how Transition uses under the stay mounts for the rear line. Makes no sense..

But I am a picky MOFO. Other than that it looks good.

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'd lower the fork to like 100mm if you can. The head angle will be steeper and it will be lower, letting you move it around quicker.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Yes the rotors are 8" and I have braided lines and there is no front one, just the rotor that I had not taken off the wheel yet, but I plan on putting a front brake on it .I will also be using it for trail riding too. The stem and bar are Race face diablo set-up. Working on getting a 100mm fork, the one on there now is set at 120mm .these parts came off of an broken frame and just wanted to get the bike rolling for now.

Last edited:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
so what would u guys recommend for thius build? no front brake change the back to a 6" and get a 100mm fork? does that sound right.Just getting into this aspect of the sport and want to learn about it so any help would be nice.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
nice frame.
change the fork to 80mm, 100mm is too steep for street and dirt and your steering will be slow.

btw, its not called urban anymore, all the cool kids call it street.

Sep 19, 2008
Central Alamance County
I love my ToP. Mos def 80mm up front, I ride a DMR switchblade(ridgid). I found mine a little low in the nose, I'm 6'3", and changed from diabolus bars(1.5 rise) to black market badabings(3" rise). It made such a huge difference. Now the ToP feels more like a 20 than ever before. I ride single speed on Eastern cranks. Hydro disk, rear only. Great frame design, very flickable.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Stem and bars look suspect. . .
I think it's just the tilt of the bars. Stem seems fine to me. Maybe not the trendiest/lightest...but it'll work. IMO anything less than 70mm reach will work well jumping.

And yeah, definitely 80mm travel fork if you want quick handling in the way that most TOP riders want ( for dirt jumps, pump tracks, bmx tracks, skateparks...) But if you want the bike to feel more mtb/freeride-ish for more hucking style jumps or just wanting stability in the air (point bike and it stays in that direction) or you want more squish for rocks etc on the trail, 100 will be fine too.

Last edited:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Ok so the complete build will be as follows:
Frame --Transition TOP
cranks-- Transition 3 piece
BB ----Transition Spanish style
Chaiwheel--Transition 28t
Chain-Gold KMC 410-SS
saddle-- Azonic velvet