Quantcast

Stan's NoTubes ZRT Flow rims

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the freeride ones aren't much heavier are they? i've actually heard the stan's rims are very strong. a guy that rides with my dad and i has the olympic ones, which are stupidly light, and he just slams them through rocks and ruts with no issues at all. i don't even think he has needed to true them.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
If you've been able to not destroy Singletracks in a day, you can probably get away with the Flows.
Yeah, I've really never destroyed a wheel that I can remember. Put some dings in a RhinoLite XL after a full season of nationals, but even that was still straight.

It seems to me that the shorter rim sidewall should be noticeably stronger, and obviously it's very light.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I run them. I use the 8 gram tubeless stem too. Pretty cool, seldom burp. I did have one blow off though after landing somewhat sideways. The sidewall is nice and low so it seems to stay out of the way in terms of denting. My rear has 2 small ones after a few decent rides, including a very rocky track in Mackay. I'd get them again.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I run them. I use the 8 gram tubeless stem too. Pretty cool, seldom burp. I did have one blow off though after landing somewhat sideways. The sidewall is nice and low so it seems to stay out of the way in terms of denting. My rear has 2 small ones after a few decent rides, including a very rocky track in Mackay. I'd get them again.
Two questions Jonny:

What tires have you used with them?

How long have you been on this pair?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you've been able to not destroy Singletracks in a day, you can probably get away with the Flows.

I have built both the ZRT and SIngletrack wheels, i would NOT repeat NOT use the ZRT's for dh. They are weaker than teh singletrack by a decent amount. they are most defenetly a AM or xc wheel. But they do perform in teh AM/XC world exxtremly well. they are very light, run true, and not too bad of a build to complete. Currently i am running the SL1 singletrack with the no tubes kit for dh, and the ZRT's on teh hardtail for XC. If anyone is curious, the yellow roll of tape is very expensive, but at teh same time it covers alot of wheels.

I am not saying teh ZRT is a bad wheel, it is infact a very nice wheel to run, but it was intended for for AM and XC, and its not suprizing at all that people are running singletracks for DH, Myself anf both my riding partners all run singletracks and non of us has had any real problems that you would not see with any other DH wheel, you know flatspots when you have a major case, but thats about it.

For anyone wondering about the setup, here is a video

http://www.notubes.com/movietape.php

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I'm using 2.3 intense fro lites dh. The tyres save about 200grams over high rollers. Rims have been used for around 3 months

This should give you an idea of the tracks,

This is where the QLD state champs will be held in a few weeks time. At the time of the vid I laced up an MTX on a mates bike, after the weekend it was littered with dents, while my pissy little rim hid out of the way and only suffered 2 small ones.

If your willing to spend the money on trying something and your smooth enough, these things will hold up. If your a tight ar5e and a hack, get a mag 30 and forget about it.

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
i use them on my DNA, im pretty heavy, almost 200 geared up, and they have held up since this february, dirt jumping, trail riding, and i rode Jiminy peak on wednesday on them, no issues yet. i run Specialized enduro 2.2 f+r, PM me if you have any Questions, as s ive spent a considerable amount of thime on them

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What are your local trails like? Rocky?

They can be, did alot of time on each up at big bear, some time at Mamoth. Mostly now i end up at Fontuky and ANgelous oaks. Occasionly over at Skyline and HoldiCrooks park. Right now AO is all loose shale and sharp rocks, And on top of that, alot of fun. And fontuky is Fontuky as always Rocky pedally and hot

By the way, i am a 240lb rider