Quantcast

Stan's Arch vs. Flow Rims

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Anybody have experience with either of these two rims? I'm rebuilding the wheelset on my trail/AM bike this winter and want to get a lighter set of wheels since my current ones (Mavic XM321s) have been overkill for the majority of the riding that I do. Wheels will be going on an RFX that I use for pretty much everything from XC to DH. It spends most of its time being ridden aggressively, at least as aggressively as my sally self can manage. Would be built up with single butted spokes and I'm probably 155 lbs geared up. Whatchu say Ridemonkey brethren?

And no, I will not be setting them up tubeless. Still not convinced it's worth it for me.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have a pair of Arch rims on my SS now... last year I raced them. We live in rock city so they have been abused plenty and they have held up very well. Same goes for my Crest rims... they were raced this season and I "plinged" them off many a rock. Still looking good.

I'm with SD though, better safe than sorry... go with the flows, only a few grams heavier.

meattray

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
I'm 210lbs and race 4X and ride angel fire,minus the super rocky stuff on arch rims, hacked some pretty nasty **** on then and they hold up fine( meta 4X 100mm travel). I also have flow rims on my trail bike(transition bandit rear 130mm,140mm fork) because I wanted something al little tougher but it also has more travel, so wish I went with I went with arch rims to save some weight for climbing. so go arches unless you are just a complete hacker.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The wider flow will allow you to run fatter tires for DH style stuff. But the rims are a bit heavier then the Arch, but not by much. Go with the Flow.

Last edited: