Quantcast

SS gearing...

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Finally making the jump from 8spd to SS. I know I like to pedal in a 32-11 on the current bike but wondering what other equations would equal the same gearing. I do have a 16t rear sprocket sitting around but I am in no way set on using it.

My bashgaurd will handle up to a 32T but id rather something smaller for more protection. Can someone please help me out?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
what type of riding is this bike used for?

you're not gunna get a ratio close to what 32-11 gets with a smaller ring up front unless you use an even smaller cog in back...

I'd suggest getting a bigger bash, and running 36-14 or 36-13. that should feel about the same.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
dou you plan on going up hills? Most SSers seem to prefer a 2-1 ratio, or at least thats a good place to start. When I was running a 26" SS I had a 34 In the front and had a 16,18 & 20 for the rear. I used the 18 the majority, but wouldn't hesitate to put on the Twenty if I was going somewhere with a lot of climbing, and I would use the 16 If I knew the wasn't going to be climbing.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
^^ good points.

When I started riding single speeds, I was running on a 32X20 - it was light for around town but as I ride this bike mostly in the woods on tight single track it was a great gear. I've recently swapped out to a 32X17, Its been good so far but just as MunkeeHucker said I would not hesitate to put a 20 on for a day with lots of big hills.

Everyone I know in Durango that rides SS for serious trail use uses a 2:1 ratio (32:16, 26:13, 36:18, etc.) You can get up just about any climb and won't spin out too easily on decents. If your using it for a skate park/ street/ dirt jump rig you'll probably want the ratio a little bigger (32:14, 26:11, 36:16, etc.)

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
the trails i ride have long drawn out uphills with fast short decents, so i run a 38-21. however my bike has a tall BB height and the trails i ride don't have many large obstacles, so i can get away with that big of a chainring up front.. you may want to run something more like a 34-18.. just buy a chainring for your front, and a few cogs for the back, and just mess around with your ratios untill you find something you like. you can ask as many people as you want, but you're the only one who knows what ratio you can comfortably run for the trails that you ride.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I run 34-18 on mine, I would like to have it a little higher when I want some more speed but I don't think I would want it any higher once I hit a spot where I have to climb.